My Small White Dog

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

To my Small White Dog:

I only knew you with four legs for a few weeks. I had only just met you when I had to make that life and death decision for you. So I watched you carefully, and you showed me who you were. At 11 years old, I watched you dart around, tease the younger dogs, dig holes and stamp your feet. You were bright and alert, small but tough. I thought, maybe he can do this.

But damn, little guy. You amazed everyone. You were the strongest little creature – dog, human or otherwise – that I have ever known. You didn’t let that bone cancer take you down without one hell of a battle. No one would have blamed you for getting tired and giving in after the amputation, during chemo, or when the first metastasis showed up. But you didn’t give in. You made the disease fight every step of the way. But your little body was not as strong as your spirit.

Even as the cancer was in your one front leg, your spine, your lungs, and probably everywhere else, you kept up your spirit. You got up every day and did your thing, with dignity and determination. You enjoyed your food, you checked out things in your yard, you exchanged sniffs with your brothers and sisters. You were yourself until your very last day.

I can’t help but feel that a part of your will to keep going was that you were happy here. I hope that’s true. I wish with all my heart that I could have given you more days of a forever family. But I think maybe at least you knew that this time it was different. I hope you knew that we would never ever leave you.

I only got to know you for 6 months, little bean, but you changed everything. You came into our lives when I needed you most, after losing my Crisco, and you gave me a reason to get up in the morning. You showed me that I can find my way back after these losses; in fact, that I have to find my way back because there is always another who needs me. Thank you for needing me. Thank you for trusting me to take care of you.

I have so many beautiful memories of you being your extraordinary self. The truly amazing feats, like digging your one-armed trenches in the ground. And the everyday miracles, like yipping with that particular timbre of annoyance to let me know from down the hall that I needed to come evict another dog from your favorite bed.

After we found that the cancer had spread, I didn’t know whether I would ever see your “go outside” routine again, but you gave it to me one last time. The insistent wag of your tail, the tossing of your head like a young bull, and finally the loud and unmistakable bark. Sometimes even a stamp of your front foot for good measure. We both knew that I knew what you wanted, but I would wait for you to go through your whole routine just for the pleasure of watching you. Then I would walk to the kennel with you hopping along happily beside me, still wagging.

It was pure joy to see you run on 3 legs, sweet pea. It was like you had never known any different. I would laugh and cry to watch you, so grateful that you were feeling good.

I loved your interactions with that little hooligan Hank. You had such an interesting relationship with him, truly like an irritating little brother. The only time you would put on your mean face was when he tried to steal your treats, then you would give him your best snarl-and-scold that would send the big strong dog skittering and yelping across the room. In the yard, when you were feeling playful, you would stalk him like prey and then spring out at him. I would laugh to see you standing there motionless, watching him with your head down and ears up, hunting.

You loved to go places with us, and even on days when you were full of pain, you would bop up and give me tail wags to come along in the car. You quickly learned about drive-thru windows, and would hop up behind my seat and watch carefully as I ordered. And I’ll never forget the trip with you to the 5th grade class, and the girl who said, “Why would anyone want a 4-legged dog when you could have one like Whitey?” They all asked me about 3-legged dogs for adoption, and were disappointed when I said we had none. But they saw that there was something special about you too. You were once-in-a-lifetime.

Oh, little Whitey-Mikey. You were my little tail-wagger, my perky little bean, my sweet little hopper. A small bundle of amazing energy, joy, watchfulness, and strength. I am so, so grateful that I got to know you. Our family is so much richer for having you a part of it. I am so sorry that I couldn’t make you well again. I hope you understand that I tried, that I was fighting along with you. I thought we could beat it together, I really did. And if I could’ve taken it from you, I would have in a moment. I wish we had gotten more time together. I wish you had gotten more time to be part of a family. You will be a part of me forever. This is your home. I love you so much, Small White Dog.

untitled-1.jpg?w=450&h=436

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jen, I'm so very sorry. You and your boy fought a very tough battle. In the end you Little White Dog knew he was loved deeply :grouphug

Godspeed Whitey :gh_run I so wish you could have had more time with you family.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 He left too soon, and left too much heartache in his wake, but he was an extraordinary boy who knew he was finally in the right home. If only he could have stayed longer...

Godspeed Whitey.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a special boy. I am so sorry.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Oh, Whitey, I'm so sorry you didn't get more time in your wonderful, forever home. :( But, thank god you did get to experience the love and joy in that home that you did!

To your family, I'm so sorry for your loss. :f_white I love your tribute to Whitey. It's so beautiful! :f_white

What a special, special little soul he was! I loved the video of him running around your yard from a few weeks ago. What a wonderful life you gave him.

Rest in peace, sweet Whitey, for you were well loved. :cry1

Edited by luvhounds2

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Guest multigrey

Our love and condolences to all of you.....what an amazing dog he was.

And how very, very lucky you were to have had each other.

f_yellow

God speed to you handsome boy, for you truly know how very much you are loved.

Please watch over your mom

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

He is beautiful, and what a beautiful tribute to your friend. I am so sorry.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm sorry he had to leave you.

Godspeed, gallant little white guy :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jettcricket

Oh, I'm so terribly sorry in the loss of this most precious boy. My heart hurts with yours....sending you peace and white light.