Jump to content

Osteo Strikes Again--Second Time This Year


Guest andrealynch
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest andrealynch

Hi Everyone:

 

It is through tear-filled eyes that I write to tell you all that my beautiful 10 year old fawn boy was diagnosed with osteo yesterday. He is my heart-hound, and I can't seem to stop crying sad.gif I need some advice from all of you. First, I do have insurance on him (VPI), and it will help somewhat with the cost of amputation and I know that we can get meds donated from Dr. Couto. However, I don't know if #1, I want to put him through an amputation and all of that, with no guarantees for what the outcome may be, and #2, even with the insurance, I have NO room in my budget--things are really tough right now--I am really afraid of what would happen if they denied me coverage and I couldn't pay the bill--that is something else to consider.

 

What would you do in this situation? Any ideas? I just don't know what to do and I can't seem to think straight.

 

Thank you all for your help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest FreddyGirl

Andrea,

You have fostered a lot for your adoption group. It is worth asking whether or not in this emergency, they can help You out just this once. It's a 50-50 for a yes.

 

Having said that, only you can determine if it's in your dog's best interest to amputate or provide pain management. Your heart will tell you what to do. thinking of you and

sending you a big hug. I know how much you love your dogs. :grouphug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest TeddysMom

I am so sorry to hear this. I have no experience with Osteo so I have no advise except to go with your heart. You know your boy better than anyone else does and whatever you decide it will be a decision made out of love and caring for your baby. I am not really a fan of putting a senior dog through the amp and chemo but everyone has their own needs and opinions. I will be saying prayers for you and your boy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday......we were both being put to the same test at the same time. We got in a sweet nine year old foster that has a lump on his jaw. After lots of tests and conferring with specialists, we had to make a decision. Your decision is deeply personal and only you will know in your heart what to do. We made a decision and feel that it's best for this dog. We have adopted him. That's all I can say at this point because I don't want to influence your decision. Search your heart; look at him and then decide what to do. Think only of what is best for him, not what you might want. That is the highest degree of love and respect we can give them. I'll be thinking of you; you have a friend who is also crying. Just think of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No experience here, but I do honestly believe that whatever decision you make, will be made out of love for your boy. And with that, there just is no wrong decision.

 

You know him best, listen quietly, the answer will come.

 

Keeping you both in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

 

 

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest TBSFlame

Hi Everyone:

 

It is through tear-filled eyes that I write to tell you all that my beautiful 10 year old fawn boy was diagnosed with osteo yesterday. He is my heart-hound, and I can't seem to stop crying sad.gif I need some advice from all of you. First, I do have insurance on him (VPI), and it will help somewhat with the cost of amputation and I know that we can get meds donated from Dr. Couto. However, I don't know if #1, I want to put him through an amputation and all of that, with no guarantees for what the outcome may be, and #2, even with the insurance, I have NO room in my budget--things are really tough right now--I am really afraid of what would happen if they denied me coverage and I couldn't pay the bill--that is something else to consider.

 

What would you do in this situation? Any ideas? I just don't know what to do and I can't seem to think straight.

 

Thank you all for your help.

I am so sorry. Flame sends love to his littermate brother. My prayers are with you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sending lots of hugs for you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry you and your baby boy are having to face this monster. :cry1 I found the Circle of Grey to be an extremely supportive and helpful group, when I dealt with OS with several of my hounds. Sending many prayers and loads of light to you and your boy. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Samantha

I have no experience of osteo, do what your think is right, whatever you chose your doing it for love of your hound and will be the right decision for you.

 

Sending love and positive thoughts xxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Energy11

I do have experience with Osteo...Our Max 12.5 died from it. I do not do amputations, just pain management. This is just ME.

 

Whether to amputate is a VERY PERSONAL decision. There is no right or wrong when it comes to this ...

 

ME, personally ... again, I would opt for just pain management, but you need to talk to those who have opted for amputations. You can send your x-rays to Dr. Couto, and see what he and his staff thinks, and go from there. There are a lot of options open to you.

 

I AM SORRY you even have to think about this!!!!!

 

We send you love, hugs, prayers and ... hope! Dee and The Five

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't help you with your decision, except to say that your are Bacardi's best friend, and what ever you decide will be from your heart.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Lewis, I didn't go the amputation route. I am of the same mind as Energy11. You'll do what's right for you and your baby. I am sorry you have to face this...sucks, doesn't it?

 

 

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all, I'm am so sorry to hear the bad news. :( I understand all about budgets--believe me but, if the insurance company will cover most of the amputation and OSU supplies the chemo then I believe the only bills you may run into would be the cost of admin. the chemo and follow up radiographs (chest). I would call your insurance company first just to see what they cover--may help you decide how to move forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest scfilby

First of all, I'm am so sorry to hear the bad news. :( I understand all about budgets--believe me but, if the insurance company will cover most of the amputation and OSU supplies the chemo then I believe the only bills you may run into would be the cost of admin. the chemo and follow up radiographs (chest). I would call your insurance company first just to see what they cover--may help you decide how to move forward.

 

I'm sorry Andrea. That is what I would suggest, explore the options with your insurance company.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry to hear this.

 

Find BigOrangeDog here on gt...in her signature there is a link to a blog post about amputation..."what to expect..." it's very informative and might help give you some kind of an idea as to what you'd be up against if you opt for the amputation.

 

We are struggling with the decision ourselves with Sutra...he is having a fine needle aspiration tomorrow to confirm the osteo diagnosis...he is not limping at all right now which makes me want to confirm it for sure.

 

I'm sorry you're going through this. It sucks, big time :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest andrealynch

Hi Everyone:

 

It is through tear-filled eyes that I write to tell you all that my beautiful 10 year old fawn boy was diagnosed with osteo yesterday. He is my heart-hound, and I can't seem to stop crying sad.gif I need some advice from all of you. First, I do have insurance on him (VPI), and it will help somewhat with the cost of amputation and I know that we can get meds donated from Dr. Couto. However, I don't know if #1, I want to put him through an amputation and all of that, with no guarantees for what the outcome may be, and #2, even with the insurance, I have NO room in my budget--things are really tough right now--I am really afraid of what would happen if they denied me coverage and I couldn't pay the bill--that is something else to consider.

 

What would you do in this situation? Any ideas? I just don't know what to do and I can't seem to think straight.

 

Thank you all for your help.

I am so sorry. Flame sends love to his littermate brother. My prayers are with you.

 

Aww...hi there, and thank you. Bacardi sends his hellos and love back ;)

 

I'm so sorry to hear this.

 

Find BigOrangeDog here on gt...in her signature there is a link to a blog post about amputation..."what to expect..." it's very informative and might help give you some kind of an idea as to what you'd be up against if you opt for the amputation.

 

We are struggling with the decision ourselves with Sutra...he is having a fine needle aspiration tomorrow to confirm the osteo diagnosis...he is not limping at all right now which makes me want to confirm it for sure.

 

I'm sorry you're going through this. It sucks, big time grouphug.gif

 

Aww...that is awful to hear! I am so sorry for you as well...sending the best thoughts to you as well and lots of hugs!

 

Yesterday......we were both being put to the same test at the same time. We got in a sweet nine year old foster that has a lump on his jaw. After lots of tests and conferring with specialists, we had to make a decision. Your decision is deeply personal and only you will know in your heart what to do. We made a decision and feel that it's best for this dog. We have adopted him. That's all I can say at this point because I don't want to influence your decision. Search your heart; look at him and then decide what to do. Think only of what is best for him, not what you might want. That is the highest degree of love and respect we can give them. I'll be thinking of you; you have a friend who is also crying. Just think of him.

 

 

Goodness...it is awful, isn't it? So sorry you were going through the very same thing with your precious boy! This disease is awful and is striking too many dogs...one dog even, is one too many! Sending lots of good thoughts your way!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Smiley

I am so, so sorry. Having just been down this road I completely understand your pain and your indecision. It's the hardest decision we've ever had to make. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk and I'm also happy to give you my phone number. Here is Jen's link (BigOrangeDog) that was suggested to read about amp: Link I'm sending you many, many hugs and thoughts of peace and clarity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has your vet given you any indication of how far the cancer might have spread? Please consult with the staff at Ohio State for a second opinion to see what your viable options are. If it turns out that the cancer has gone beyond the point where amputation will be successful, you can spare yourself the stress of worrying over whether you should operate and where the money will come from--and just concentrate on managing pain and spoiling Bacardi rotten.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest bigorangedog

Andrea - Kelly McKiney just had me friend you on FB. (Jen Komatsu) Check my signature for my writeup on what to expect with leg amputations. We have had 5 hounds with osteo in the past 14 months. I think you knew my boy Whitey. We lost him 2 hours ago. We only got 5.5 months with him post-amp, his cancer came back very aggressively. But I can tell you that even if I had known that, it would not have changed my decision. The time we had was beautiful time. He was happy. We've done another amp on our boy Apollo since then as well. We also did pain-management on 3 others who were not candidates for amps for various reasons, so I know both stories. Feel free to write anytime!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:grouphug I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest AmandaTolleson
:( I hate osteo.... So sorry to hear about your boy... Whatever decision you make it is out of love for him. Keep us updated!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest isntitgreyt

I have no experience with Osteo but I think you should listen to your heart. Amputation is a personal decision and nobody could/should/ or would disagree with your decision. Only you know what is best for your dog.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I myself would not and would do pain management...But this is just my choice this is a tought decision and my prayers and thoughts are with you

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i too have receintly delt w/ osteo, emily was diagnosed the beginning of decemeber(symptoms looked like lyme in novemeber). i personally do not believe in amputation, so we did pain management. the cancer was agressive, most likely her shoulder had a hairline fracture and she was relieved of her pain jan.2nd. i too cried like hell, listened to all the options, cried more, and was in a difficult place economically(dh is on unemployment)as well.

 

you will do what is right for you and your pup. just remember that you have given this boy a fantastic life at your home and to look at the expected duration and quality of life after amputation. can you deal with that??? personally my living will would not include an option like that for me, that's what i went by.

 

so, sorry to hear that yet another dog and another person is in the same place. it stinks.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...