Osteo Strikes Again--Second Time This Year

Guest andrealynch

No advice--it's too personal a decision--just :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest andrealynch

Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd post an update on Bacardi's situation. I've been thinking about my options and right now, he has an appointment set for amputation on Monday. The way I see it, I have a few options: 1. let him go and just treat his pain, which leaves us only a few weeks. 2. Go with the operation and chemo and pray that we get some more time. While it is true that we could lose him on the operating table, it is also true that we could gain a number of months more.

Since I have the insurance, and my parent's are helping me with the cost until I get the reimbursement back, I figured it would be better to try and save his life, rather than not, and then spend the rest of my life in regret for not trying, being that we had the means to do so.

My vet is Dr. Laura Ivan, and she is one of the most compassionate and caring people that I know, and I know that she truly loves Mr. B. and will do everything she can to save my baby.

I ask for TONS of prayers for him as we go into this very scary time. I sure hope I am making the right decision for him...and not putting him through this for nothing. I suppose, only time will tell. I just pray the angels watch over him and bring him safely through this and back home to me.

ghrun.gif

Guest FreddyGirl

Andrea,

You have based your decision on your love for Bacardi, confidence in your vet, his overall health and the facts related to osteo. I am so happy that funds have come through, allowing you to go forward with your decision. You will always know that you did everything you could for Bacardi. I will be praying for a complication free surgery, as well as guardian angels watching over all of you. As well, a huge hug to you. :grouphug

Try to get some rest this weekend. Bacardi will need you to be strong during his recuperation.

Nancy

Guest andrealynch

Ok...so new update. I have thought long and hard about this...and now, I have finally decided on not doing the amputation and just managing his pain. I have a feeling that I would feel very guilty putting him through this at his age...and I don't want my baby going through any more pain.

So, we are managing right now, and he seems comfy (he's on the couch roaching as we speak). I've arranged for the neighbor to come over each day and check on him...just to be sure that he is comfy and happy while I am at work.

If anyone has any tips for me on keeping him happy and content through all this...please let me know! blush.gif

Share a little ice cream every night.

Will keep you both in my heart and in my prayers, that whatever time you have is happy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TBSFlame

Ok...so new update. I have thought long and hard about this...and now, I have finally decided on not doing the amputation and just managing his pain. I have a feeling that I would feel very guilty putting him through this at his age...and I don't want my baby going through any more pain.

So, we are managing right now, and he seems comfy (he's on the couch roaching as we speak). I've arranged for the neighbor to come over each day and check on him...just to be sure that he is comfy and happy while I am at work.

If anyone has any tips for me on keeping him happy and content through all this...please let me know! blush.gif

I have lost 2 to osteo and did not do amputation. I got 2 months with Hawk and 6 months with Beecher so you never know how long you have. Don't be afraid to give him the pain meds. They can take a lot and mix it. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Just spend a lot of time and spoil him more than you already do. I gave Hawk and Beecher whatever they wanted to eat. He knows that he is loved and that is the most important thing.

Guest andrealynch

Share a little ice cream every night.

Will keep you both in my heart and in my prayers, that whatever time you have is happy.

That is a good one...will do!! In fact, that is the perfect justification for my trip to Baskin Robins...I was craving some of their "Icing on the Cake" icecream...but Bacardi loves Cold Stone Creamery...guess he has expensive taste!

I have lost 2 to osteo and did not do amputation. I got 2 months with Hawk and 6 months with Beecher so you never know how long you have. Don't be afraid to give him the pain meds. They can take a lot and mix it. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Just spend a lot of time and spoil him more than you already do. I gave Hawk and Beecher whatever they wanted to eat. He knows that he is loved and that is the most important thing.

Wow! You are so lucky...6 more months...I will hope and pray for that too! But whatever time I have, I am just thankful...things like this can really put it all into perspective.

Guest Energy11

We had two and a half months with Max, with just pain management. He even got to move out of Florida with us to the mountains!

We spent a lot of quality time with him, and yes, shared wonderful treats. I think he loved the mountains, too!

Sending lots of love, hugs and prayers to you and your baby!

I just went thru this twice. (one osteo, one fibro of the spleen)

Do you have the cancer rider with VPI? If so, you'll get most of it back. They paid $2500 of the $2800.

I only had 6 months with Diamond post amp. But she was happy and pain free. Everyone who saw her said she was doing great as she motored around on 3 legs. She was 12.

While it was only 6 months I know I did the right thing.

Good luck in your decision. It's a hard one to make.

i wrapped up the meds in turkey bacon, to the very end my gal took her meds w/ delight. emily indulged in lots of extra rides in the car(her favorite sport) and all of our left overs at every meal. she slept on a double decker bed-much softer. be prepared there are bound to be some accidents in the house. when they don't feel comfortable they seem to pee.