Bending Crate

My dog used to just lie in his crate..Not anymore. He is bending the metal frame. I am not strong to this myself, but he is. I tried putting his muzzle on him, but now he goes nutty when it is on..constantly rubbing it against something. Getting him to go into the crate is another battle..I have to physically push him (80Lbs) in to it. I give him a treat..most of the time it is not eaten..Just a lot of slobber and the wire bending..Pleae help.

How long have you had him? Typically, they start getting tired of their crates in 2 or 3 months. He isn't safe in there anymore if he is bending the bars. Time for a change. Do you have any baby gates?

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

He isn't safe in there anymore if he is bending the bars. Time for a change. Do you have any baby gates?

Ditto. If he's trying to get out, please don't crate him anymore. Dogs can get hurt very badly that way.

Better to baby gate him into a well-dogproofed area (don't put him in a bedroom with the door closed!).

Many dogs will make a show of trying to get the muzzle off when somebody's there to watch and have sympathy, but settle and snooze once you're gone.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest barkdogs

Some dogs are freaked by the crate--My Nigel has never been in one in the year he has been here. How about getting a baby gate and confining him in a safe space instead? Many greys who hate the crate seem to be fine with that. I would not shut him in a room using a door--many dogs are fearful when they can't see out, hence the baby gates.

Best of luck!

Another reply to say, please tale him out of the crate before he really hurts himself.

Our boy Kingsley let us know in no uncertain terms after about a month that he hated his crate. He would destroy anything left in the crate with him, but once we allowed him free-reign of the house while we were gone, he has never destroyed anything. Do some alone training with him out of the crate and hopefully that will ease his stress.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

How long have you had him? Do you have to keep him in the crate for any particular reason? If you dog is good in the house otherwise, try leaving him out, and using babygates, as suggested above. Many dogs do not like crates and let you know it. Ours broke out twice, cutting his face the second time. We abandoned the crate at that point, (this was in the first week we had him) and he has the run of the house except for 2 rooms, which we babygate.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I think he's decided he likes it out of the crate. Be very careful, I have one hound that literally broke the welds on the bars of his crate and pulled the bars downward. How he kept from impaling himself with them I'll never know. We were out and came home and found his crate that way.

You might try leaving him out of the crate and muzzling him if you're worried about him being destructive. If you're worried he might go potty on the floor, baby gate him in a place where cleaning up will be easy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Jubilee251

Like everyone else said, please let him out before he hurts himself. We crated Molly for a whopping 2 days before we decided to buy baby gates because she bent the crate bars. Personally, I didn't want to muzzle AND crate her (TWO things she hates!), and we were afraid she was going to cut her mouth trying to get out. So we let her out, and everything has been fine ever since.

Guest mountain4greys

I only crate long enough from them to get the routine down. Then I wean them off the crate. I have had no problems letting mine have the run of the house. If you feel that you don't trust your greyhound yet, or think that it'll chew or something, then baby gate them. :)

Guest gecko_foot

My dog used to just lie in his crate..Not anymore. He is bending the metal frame. I am not strong to this myself, but he is. I tried putting his muzzle on him, but now he goes nutty when it is on..constantly rubbing it against something. Getting him to go into the crate is another battle..I have to physically push him (80Lbs) in to it. I give him a treat..most of the time it is not eaten..Just a lot of slobber and the wire bending..Pleae help.

Ditto to taking him out of the crate if he is bending the frame that badly. I agree with using the baby gates, but you might have to double up on them. My dog was able to jump a baby gate over 3 feet tall with no problem.

Thanks for all of the help! I actually let him have the run of the house yesterday for about 3 hours with no problems. And last night I let him sleep in the living room rather than baby gate him into my bedroom. Again no problems..while I am still a little nervous, I will continue to not put him back in the crate. Thanks again!!

Ditto. If he's trying to get out, please don't crate him anymore. Dogs can get hurt very badly that way.

Better to baby gate him into a well-dogproofed area (don't put him in a bedroom with the door closed!).

When I was a new greyhound owner I was a sheep and followed the advice to crate crate crate. I came home one day to a drop pin crate that had been bent in so severely we had to cut the dog out of it. Years later I fostered a dog that had injured himself trying to get out of his crate. They moved him to me as a foster as I no longer crate unless for medical reasons.

I am so glad your guy did great out of the crate.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Glad that it seems to be working out!

With the dogs I've had in my house, we've been able to use a crate as a tool- not a lifestyle. (I know some dogs must be crated, and in some households it's the only safe way to go - no offense intended.)

I made the mistake of trying to crate a dog that definately shouldn't have been crated - he broke off a canine tooth and bent the door and got out in one day. I can't believe he wasn't hurt worse. NO MORE crate for THAT dog!

I have 5 hounds and only crated one of them for 5 days.

I do seperate bu tall gates but no crates.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so glad that you let him have free roam. Most hounds just behave perfectly but many people don't give it a try

which is worth it. I never ever used a crate in all my hounds' life and I have had them since puppy age.

No problems ever...

Congrats to the best decision...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.