Another Seizure For Ez

At 2:10 am est/dst EZ had another seizure. I was concerned that i would not wake up when he was seizing but I did. This one was not as violent and it did not last as long. When he came out of the seizure he was more confused and very vocal. I took him downstairs to relieve himself and then brought him back up to bed. He paced and yammered for close to an hour (he has always been very vocal even doing GSOD when he can't see me). My fingers are crossed that he does not cluster like he has for the last 2 episodes that he had. He has a neuro appointment for 4/15 plus they will check his pheno and KBr levels at the same time.

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear EZ had another seizure!

Did the vet give you rectal (liquid) Valium to use to break the seizure, or clusters if this happens? If not, I'd try to get some today, just in case. It is pretty easy to use.

Sending many prayers for EZ's seizures to stop. Maybe the neuro vet can see you sooner?

Hugs! Dee and The Five

have rectal valium but not liquid. So far he has not clustered and praying that he doesn't as I have an appointment for a dopler on my leg, the one that the greyhound ran into today.

The last cluster that he had his neuro vet told me to give him an extra dose of phenobarbital so that day he had his pheno at 7 am, 7 pm and another dose at 10 pm. His last seizure was on February 1 and then today so he went 2 months.

Oh I'm sorry for poor Ez and for you.

Have you tried giving a small meal after the seizure? It may not help Ez but that seems to help my Piper settle down after he has a seizure. Also, on the rare occasion that that I can't stay with Piper to watch for a cluster, my vet will keep him for the day. There is a small charge but such an arrangement might help since you've got a medical appointment yourself.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

My regular vet is about 1 hr away from my house and his neuro vet is about 20 minutes away, both are off of the innerstate or parkway North. I do try and seizure proof the room that he will be in by putting large keepers in front of anything that he could pull over and gate Hershey and Penske in another room with a barrier in front of the gate.

cluster is having more than one seizure (such as in 5 hrs or a given length of time)

EZ's neuro vet called - just keep an eye on him, can give him anything that has little or no calories if he is extra hungry. If he has another seizure before his 7 pm medication can give him his 7 pm and then an extra dose later in the evening.

I have only had my hound for about 2 1/2 months, so really don't know anything about dogs..so, what is a cluster?

Glad you are asking questions that is the only way you will learn about anything

Guest EmbersDad

Hero just began to seize. i was told to keep some ice cream on hand for after he seizes to help bring his blood sugar back up. to that end, i have a quart of lactose free vanilla ice cream made with real sugar. im supposed to only let him have a spoonful or so. thankfully he has not seized since the first one. this is all new to me too. perhaps it would help EZ.

Guest PreciousMom

Sorry to here about EZ.

Jackson has seizures--I give him a little vanilla ice cream after a seizure (it helps replace the sugar they burn during the seizure). I also find walking him after the seizure for about a half hour helps him to settle.

Jackson has been with me almost 3 year years and after we got the seizures under control with the right meds/doses he is doing great. It really is manageable.

PM me if you need/want to talk.

Sue

Precious & Dasher's Mom

Jackson's foster Mom

EZ was seizure controlled for 14 months (I had him 14 months before he had he first seizure for me). The vet told me to feed low or no calorie food after a seizure but I will ask him about the ice cream. I know do not let Penkse and Hershey sleep upstairs as they will attack and Penske did bite him pretty bad during one seizure that he had to be hospitilized and have surgery.

I don't mean to hijack this and I'm glad EZ is okay. This may sound stupid, but what does he do when he seizes? Kevin had an incident several weeks ago that no one, including my vet, was able to make heads or tails of. He hasn't done it since but I had about 2-3 minutes that night of a Kevin I didn't know.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

EZ thrashes and all four legs seem to be going at once, he has thick saliva and urinates. When he comes out of it he could be very confused, vocal, not know me, once he growled at me, usually hungry, pacing, etc.

One person who could probably answer your questions is Jillys Full House who has written articles on seizing.

EZ has been doing okay and did not have another seizure.

This what Susan sent me via e-mail will check with his neuro vet first.

Beryl,

I have a great idea!! We have used Progesterone drops for dogs and cats with great success! I have attached an article for your review……not the one I want but go to RayPeat.com/articles and look for progesterone and epilepsy. He turned me on to progesterone many many years ago and the idea to use it in seizures in animals is brilliant! (and safe)

Think about it! Progesterone calms the brain…..we neuter and spay our dogs and do not give them hormones (See Dr. Alfred Plechner’s book- Pets at Risk)

We use a 3.5mg/drop formulation and have the owner do 3-4 drops 3 times a day….

Thanks so much and take care,

SUsan

Susan Merenstein,Pharmacist/Owner

Murray Avenue Apothecary

A Compounding and Wellness Pharmacy

4227 Murray Avenue

Pittsburgh, Pa. 15217

412-421-4996/fax 412-421-6500

www.murrayavenuerx.com

Hope he is still doing well, Beryl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I do believe he is doing better than Mom :lol

He is acting is normal, goofy, mouthy self. folows me just about everywhere including going down to the basement

I do believe he is doing better than Mom

I know just what you mean. When Piper's seizures first started, every odd noise (and lots of perfectly normal ones :lol) brought me to high alert, busy checking to see if Piper was going to have another seizure. Even now, it is amazing how quickly I can go from sleep to purposeful action when he does seize. FWIW, the panic and fear have gotten much better. Having a practical routine that kicks in during seizures helps me stay calm.

Best wishes to you and Ez.

--Lucy

ETA: I will also add that at one point during a long cluster episode, I took Piper to the emergency vet. When I went back the next morning, the e-vet was horrified at the awful seizure Piper had while he was there. I waited in rising panic for what she would say. As she described the seizure, I found myself relaxing--it was just his normal type of seizure. It is amazing what we can learn to handle for our hounds when we have to.

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

His vets at the complex (Neuro and the ER vets (I think he has had them all)) state and have charted that he has horrific seizure especially when they saw the left side of his butt where he rubbed the fur off. He has gone in to either the neuro vet or ER with injuries that they question and it is always from the seiure except the one time that the other two mananged to get a few bites in. He has scraped his legs, face, etc. I know out of a sound sleep I can secure the door even tho they are downstairs and gated, grab a towel to be ready when he comes out of it to clean his face and managed to grab a few more towels for any urine that I might have to mop up. So far no bm. I then feel so helpless having to stand and watch until he comes out of it.

Guest EmbersDad

it really is frightening to watch and the feeling of being helpless while it is happening doesnt make me feel any better. hang in there guys.

I know and I usually am crying as I am so helpless and remember I have not backup I am alone though all of this. I just wonder what David would of done while this was going on but still yet it would of been moral support. I have been told many times that doG only puts on your plate what you can handle but my plate has been so full I don't know how much more I can take.

Sorry for crying on your shoulders

It's difficult going through things like this alone Bery, I truly understand that. If it were not for some people on this board, I would have gone nuts over Misty.

I really wish I was close enough to help out.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless