Squirrel Horror, I Can't Get It Out Of My Head....

Guest mpportraits

Guest mpportraits

Phoebe caught a squirrel a little while ago. I feel numb. I don't have any tears left. It was the most horrific thing I've ever seen. There are 2 squirrels in our backyard. She was at the one large tree looking up, when I said "Phoebe!" The one squirrel ran towards the big oak. Phoebe was faster this time. She grabbed it and shoke her head back and forth...the squirrel was screaming. I still hear that and just writing that brings tears to my eyes. I kept screaming for her to drop it, I banging and running but nothing helped. She dropped it for a second and it was bleeding and trying to crawl away but she got it again. I ran inside screaming and shaking. I was thinking "how can i save that squirrel? i don't know wild animal first aid" I looked outside and saw blood all over the snowy back yard. Phoebe just walked around with it in her mouth and then came to the door to be let in WITH the squirrel. I called my neighbors to come over and get it, I couldn't bear it. I turn into a 6 year old again when something like this happens. I feel so helpless, I feel like I didn't do enough...luckily, my 3 yr old did not understand what was going on.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not mad at Phoebe, I know that this is what they do....I just never imagined I'd have to see it.sad.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3greysinPA

yes... i have had this happen with Lilly and a bunny twice and a squirel just recently..

Lilly is really quick... when something is in her yard... well... its now her's and she will grab it and toss it around and play with it... and well... its just the circle of life... I was not thrilled with the animal crying either.. and... it is sad... but i am not sure it was as horrible for me.. .. it can be very upsetting and I am so sorry that you are hurting and sad... sending you a gentle hug. :grouphug

But for Phoebe... I'm sure she must be proud.. :yay

Guest mpportraits

Yes, she does seem rather proud and I don't want to make her feel like I'm not happy for her....does that sound weird? I saw your post 3greys...are you okay? That sounds like a nasty fall!

Sorry you had to see it, but yes, she's just doing what she thinks (knows, in her mind) she is supposed to do!

There is nothing that will take the "hunter" out of her (or any of our dogs). All we can do is hope the critters are faster, and if not, that they get to the bridge quickly with little 'playing around'. Many GTers have had similar experiences.

I worry about our fencing and critters larger than squirrels getting in. So we have to be pretty careful and do a scan before letting them out.

Hopefully the squirrel has moved on to another life. :blink:

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

BTDT with Buddy. He was our "hunter". He had three birds, two rabbits, and a squirrel to his credit when he passed....oh, it will be one year ago tomorrow. :(

I actually used to praise him. After all, he was just doing what came naturally.

I can tell Jack is just itching to get a squirrel. He goes crazy when he sees them outside. So far he hasn't encountered one in the back yard!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest 3greysinPA

Yes, she does seem rather proud and I don't want to make her feel like I'm not happy for her....does that sound weird? I saw your post 3greys...are you okay? That sounds like a nasty fall!

i'm not sure i know what you mean... what fall? :huh

Guest zoolaine

I am sorry you had to go through this - it is so traumatic. :grouphug My dogs killed a cat last year in our backyard (with 6 foot privacy fence) and I saw the whole thing happen. It was very bad - they would not listen and were basically playing tug of war with each dog getting a leg :weep Then after it was dead they had to carry it all around the yard. I had to call my friend to come over and take care of the body. After a day I was more mad then anything that people allow their cats to run loose. Sunny got bit bad and had to go to the ER vet and go on heavy duty antibiotics. The whole incident has become known as "when the cat attacked Sunny".

Next time just go back inside quickly, plug your ears, and start signing loudly! Then 15-20 minutes later come back out and see if you can dispose of the body. It's a much quicker death for the squirrel if you don't get in the way. Otherwise it is a slow death since they probably aren't going to survive the snatch and shake. Rainy once almost caught a squirrel while on a leash (not sure what I would have done) and did catch a baby bird they DH was trying to grab and put ont eh other side of the fence. The baby bird wasn't really a prey thing. Just a "Dad your much too slow!" Chomp, spit into his hands. "Here! Glad to help" I was hopeful but the baby bird was gone within 5 minutes :( I would have rather she killed it all the way instead of spitting it into his hands.

Oh and what wonderful neighbors to come and help!

------

Jessica

Guest SueG201

been there done it yes squirrels scream, my 2 always get the baby groundhogs, they dont scream they hiss like cats She does not know any better, and if the rodents dont stay out of the yard it will continue to happen because to her it is fun

Don't be too hard on yourself

Yep, BTDT.

Give yourself a couple days. It'll fade.

I've only ever been home when my angel Batman and Zema got critters. You wouldn't believe it, but even a *vole* can make a heck of a noise. Bigger critters ... oh, yeah, not nice. When Joseph got his squirrel, I was at work and he politely dropped it outside the door for grammy when he came in.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mpportraits

I knew, after this happened, that I needed to post on here because you guys always make me feel better! I knew you all would get it and have great words of wisdom. I'm sorry 3greys, I thought you were the one who posted that you feel when your dog lunged at a squirrel ;) I know about the cat thing...I have 2 cats that are indoor only! I would be pretty angry too. I'm trying to muster up the will to praise Phoebe...do you guys think I'm too late in doing that?

You may want to check her over to make sure the squirrel didn't bite or scratch her. She may need a bit of first aid.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest mpportraits

After the "assault" was over and I cried for a while, I immediately became aware that Phoebe may have been bitten, so I checked her over. I'm surprised I was able to think that rationally afterwards. Miracles never cease ;)

Guest KennelMom

The first time is the toughest. It's not easy to see a life ended...even if it's "just" a squirrel. But, this is a carnivore's role in the world. That is how Nature is designed to work.

Guest aaspenwall

Been there too, with rabbits, though, not squirrels. I was mortified that my dog did this (several times, in fact), that I had to hear the poor screaming victims, dealing with the carnage afterward etc. But, as several people have already posted, they are doing what they think they're supposed to. Realizing that was what finally made me feel better the first time it happened. For the first couple of hours I couldn't bear to look at my Bella, who'd been the hunter, without seeing and hearing and remembering all the horror. But when I tried to think of it from her point of view ... doing her "job", it got me to the point where I was no longer upset with her. So sorry you have to deal with this. It will fade. In the meantime, when your mind wanders and wants to revisit the scene and torture you, make yourself think of something else, something happy. This'll help it fade a little faster.

I second the advice not to interfere. I managed to stop Minnie when she caught a squirrel. When Minnie let go, the poor thing dragged itself down to the bottom of the yard. I think its back was broken. Had to call Animal Control to come and get it. Even though they showed up very quickly, the squirrel had to suffer much longer than it would have if I'd just let Minnie finish the job.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sorry that you had to experience that, I unfortunaely have witnessed many chipmunks, mice,birds being caught by my cats, never my greys though. I have bird feeders on the other side of my fence and the squirrels are on them all the time, Sara & Max see them on the feeders but can't get them, they charge the fence and bark but the squirrels fly from tree to tree. I had a cat door and they were bringing all their creatures in to show me :eek and all of them were alive. I saved many birds and chipmunks last summer but paid the price when I got bit by a chipmunk and needed a series of rabie shots :angry: I still get upset when a little creature is killed :( RIP squirrel

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest sorenkkg

Sorry for the trauma you experienced!

Haka got a bird once-- my DH handled the situation, I don't think I was around for some reason (ah, the things you miss if you sleep in on the weekend...).

Glad Phoebe wasn't hurt!

Guest mpportraits

Been there too, with rabbits, though, not squirrels. I was mortified that my dog did this (several times, in fact), that I had to hear the poor screaming victims, dealing with the carnage afterward etc. But, as several people have already posted, they are doing what they think they're supposed to. Realizing that was what finally made me feel better the first time it happened. For the first couple of hours I couldn't bear to look at my Bella, who'd been the hunter, without seeing and hearing and remembering all the horror. But when I tried to think of it from her point of view ... doing her "job", it got me to the point where I was no longer upset with her. So sorry you have to deal with this. It will fade. In the meantime, when your mind wanders and wants to revisit the scene and torture you, make yourself think of something else, something happy. This'll help it fade a little faster.

Thank you so much, this really helps.rolleyes.gif

sad.gif

I second the advice not to interfere. I managed to stop Minnie when she caught a squirrel. When Minnie let go, the poor thing dragged itself down to the bottom of the yard. I think its back was broken. Had to call Animal Control to come and get it. Even though they showed up very quickly, the squirrel had to suffer much longer than it would have if I'd just let Minnie finish the job.

Wow, that is terrible!! Reading some of these, I feel I got off kind of easy

Guest cogito

Oh, yes: been there. The worst is when the squirrel doesn't 'succumb'. (It involves mayhem committed by the human.) It's awful; it's natural; it's going to happen again, if you live in an environment where there are prey species available to your puppers. This is nature at its most raw...the best we can do is try to minimize the chances our puppers will encounter a prey-animal....

Guest IrskasMom

It's a horrible thing to witness. My Morty caught two Squirrels and each time they clawed him in the Nose.

By shaking them violent they break their Neck and it's over . He also caught a Bird at one time and That really upset me. Their is nothing I could have done .huh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gif

Guest SueG201

My first greyhound I had Grace actually caught a Canada Goose in my backyard ( I lived on a lake at the time) and she was

swinging it around by its neck, I made her d rop it and all summer long I saw a goose with a crooked neck swimmming around

She was very proud and was not the least afraid of those nasty constant poopers, she got lots of steaks for keeping them

out of the yard :lol