Squirrel Horror, I Can't Get It Out Of My Head....

Guest mpportraits

Guest mpportraits

Yes, I've been there,done that. What is really horrible is when 2 greys get into a tug o war with one. Happened with Mensa and a foster. puke.gif

okay, the barfing smiley face made me laugh out loud...needed that rolleyes.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so sorry for the trauma. I am dreading one day too Lexie will catch a squirrel. She caught a mole and it was still alive. I panicked too. You want to help but you know you won't be able to. I had to take a shovel and put the poor thing out of his misery. It was one of the hardest things I had to do and I still get sick thinking about it. Someone told me if you have to do that to cover the animal first so u don't see the aftermath. I just wanted to say we understand and feel for you.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest mpportraits

so sorry for the trauma. I am dreading one day too Lexie will catch a squirrel. She caught a mole and it was still alive. I panicked too. You want to help but you know you won't be able to. I had to take a shovel and put the poor thing out of his misery. It was one of the hardest things I had to do and I still get sick thinking about it. Someone told me if you have to do that to cover the animal first so u don't see the aftermath. I just wanted to say we understand and feel for you.

Thank you soooo much! I was so afraid of that!!!!! I was afraid the poor thing wouldn't die and I'd have to kill it to make sure it didn't suffer and I didn't know how I was going to do that. My first reaction is "dang it! why don't we have a gun" but then, who shoots a squirrel in their backyard??? I'd probably end up in jail and have to explain that one to my son's christian school". Thank youblush.gif

Thank you soooo much! I was so afraid of that!!!!! I was afraid the poor thing wouldn't die and I'd have to kill it to make sure it didn't suffer and I didn't know how I was going to do that. My first reaction is "dang it! why don't we have a gun" but then, who shoots a squirrel in their backyard??? I'd probably end up in jail and have to explain that one to my son's christian school". Thank youblush.gif

lol now that made me lol..no guns for u..lol use a big heavy shovel..but make sure the neighbors don't see..lol.. good thing some of us have high fences..lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest EmilyandSioux

I am sorry that you saw that. She was doing what came natural. I have seen it with all 3 of my greys. It is horrible!! I am a wildlife rahabilitator just know there was nothing you could do. We do usually knock on the door now before we open it because Sioux ran into a fence and had to have his nose stapled together going after a squirrel.

Guest mpportraits

lol now that made me lol..no guns for u..lol use a big heavy shovel..but make sure the neighbors don't see..lol.. good thing some of us have high fences..lol

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, glad we can find the humor in such a bad situation...sometimes, it's the only thing I can do to cope....LAUGH! We have a 6 ft. fence to, I don't know how people with dogs live w/o a fence!

I am sorry that you saw that. She was doing what came natural. I have seen it with all 3 of my greys. It is horrible!! I am a wildlife rahabilitator just know there was nothing you could do. We do usually knock on the door now before we open it because Sioux ran into a fence and had to have his nose stapled together going after a squirrel.

Thank you, it is such a helpless feeling. It's nice to know from a professional in that area, that I couldn't do anythingunsure.gif

Guest karma98104

Oh wow... I've been through it too- last year, my three little yahoos caught a squirrel. It was so agonizing to see my PETS turn into animals in front of my eyes. I tried to call them off but when I couldn't, I just hid in the house till it was quiet... after watching them play tug of war with it, I knew if they didn't finish it I would have to... and I just couldn't. I called my landlord to dispose of the body. It took me a bit of time to look at them the same again. It's not like I BLAMED them, but I still looked at them differently. Oh, and squeaky toys were SOOO banned for a few days. I realized that all the years of playing with toys was just practice for their shining moment. Argh. But I got over it. The year before that it was a cat, who lived to tell the tail (ok, I misspelled that on purpose)

Now I have an advanced squirrel warning system (ASWS) during squirrel season. I let Lark go outside first, she's not aggressive enough to catch one by herself, but she's good at flushing them out. Then Lex, who's quite noisy and clumsy. If Lark didn't flush them out, he will. Then the killer goes last when it's all clear :lol

Guest PhillyPups

There is a woman down the common alley behind my house that feeds the feral cats. She will not agree to the trap, neuter and release (I have tried talking to her). Needless to say, my high prey hounds have gotten their share, some off the top of the 7' privacy fence. Nature, it is what it is. I don't like having to dispose of the end result, but it must be done.

My dogs are so proud of themselves. Drop It is a necessary command to learn in my house. ;)

Guest mpportraits

Oh wow... I've been through it too- last year, my three little yahoos caught a squirrel. It was so agonizing to see my PETS turn into animals in front of my eyes. I tried to call them off but when I couldn't, I just hid in the house till it was quiet... after watching them play tug of war with it, I knew if they didn't finish it I would have to... and I just couldn't. I called my landlord to dispose of the body. It took me a bit of time to look at them the same again. It's not like I BLAMED them, but I still looked at them differently. Oh, and squeaky toys were SOOO banned for a few days. I realized that all the years of playing with toys was just practice for their shining moment. Argh. But I got over it. The year before that it was a cat, who lived to tell the tail (ok, I misspelled that on purpose)

Now I have an advanced squirrel warning system (ASWS) during squirrel season. I let Lark go outside first, she's not aggressive enough to catch one by herself, but she's good at flushing them out. Then Lex, who's quite noisy and clumsy. If Lark didn't flush them out, he will. Then the killer goes last when it's all clear lol.gif

That is a hysterical description! I like the ASWS...when is squirrel season btw? We handled the situation almost identially ;)

Guest kydie

The first time is the worst, it is upsetting, but this is what they do, thank God it wasn't a skunk, been there :lol dogs are predators, I don't even want to tell you the fawn story :blink:

Guest mpportraits

The first time is the worst, it is upsetting, but this is what they do, thank God it wasn't a skunk, been there lol.gif dogs are predators, I don't even want to tell you the fawn story blink.gif

awwwww, that breaks my heart and thank you for sparing me with the fawn. A skunk!!! Sweet mercy, how do you deal with THAT one??????

Oh, I just had to share this. I told my family about the incident. Of course, my brother and dad and now bragging about their girl Phoebe. They thought it was AWESOME that she's that fast. "ohhhh, that's just wonderful" my brother says....men!

Guest kydie

My DH now calls our grey "The Deerhunter" I know this is upsetting to us "animal lovers" but God knew what he was doing when he made predators, and they is what they is, I keep a skunk order killer from our groomer in our home and cabin at all times, works on man and beast, I know I've used it on myself, when trying to convince them to let me have their new "kill" as they parade around with it to show it off :lol

3 cats

many opposums - lost count

1 rooster

1 duck

many birds plucked from midair, the latest this morning.

a couple of rats

bugs

and on

and on

and on.....

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest mpportraits

3 cats

many opposums - lost count

1 rooster

1 duck

many birds plucked from midair, the latest this morning.

a couple of rats

bugs

and on

and on

and on.....

wow! you've got a regular jack the ripper! lol.gif

my pack nailed a skunk once, that was not pretty... :yikes

One New Years Eve we were on the patio watching fireworks in the distance and a bird flew by and our Bella caught it in mid air right in front of us. DH and I were screaming at each other in panic to get it away from her but she was too quick, she swallowed it whole. We agreed not the best way to start the new year. :sick:candle

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Many many years ago our first greyhound, Cody, came in from outside one night with something in his mouth. When I stopped him, he dropped it on my foot. It was a tiny dead kitten. I cried for days over that incident. DH buried it in our yard. We've never had an animal killed by any hound since then, but to me that is just fine. That was enough for me!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Seen it many times, and it does not and has never bothered me. Then again, I also plan to take my dogs out west JUST to see them run real jacks instead of just lures. I don't mind if they catch them. It's their job.

The first time one of my Greys caught a squirrel, it was very quick, NO sound. Then he brought it into the house and into his open crate. Stood there with his back to me and the very dead squirrel in his mouth. I told him to drop it, and the poor boy didn't know what to do. He couldn't disobey his Mom, (he's a very good boy), and he couldn't give up his prize. What to do?

He swallowed the squirrel whole, then turned to look at me with a big smile on his beautiful face, as if to say "What squirrel, Mom?"

He did not bring the next one inside.

Last night, Butte, my grey caught a young raccoon on my lanai. The raccoon entered by way of a very large always open dog door. When I screamed at him to drop it he picked it up, carried it outside and continued to shake it. I tried again to make him drop it, but his prey drive is strong. When it was dead he left it and came inside. I looked him over and treated a few bloody marks on his face. My setter helped him corner it but then was uninvolved. It is a terrible thing to watch. This a.m. I buried the raccoon. It is sad for us, but Butte was just following natural instincts. Sorry that you are upset. Hopefully the memory will fade.

Guest 4dogscrazy

Sorry you had to witness this! It's so upsetting. Mine get bunnies, about one every three months. The last one they got, the poor thing was throwing itself against the fence trying to get out. He must have slipped under the gate, but the snow had him boxed in. Very distressing, especially when they fight over it! He died pretty quickly though, but geez it's hard not to get mad at them! One of mine caught a bird once, I yelled "Piper spit it OUT" and she did, poor little thing shook himself off and flew away, hope he made it. I just started muzzling all of them (I have four) so I am wondering how many they are going to be able to get now. I did see my boy stomp a vole to dealth one night, that was over pretty quick too. Hopefully they don't stomp any bunnies. I often wondered if my really good racer was trained with bunnies, she gets them everytime they are out in the yard, and looks so proud of herself, strutting through the yard with her prize.

So...here is how I deal with this in my house: would you be mad at your cat for getting a mouse? No you would not, that's her job. Obviously you might not have a cat, but you can see the logic. Problem is a mouse is so small...and the bunnies are "pet sized". No offense meant to anyone who likes the tiny critter pets either! My better half told me that one, and I have felt so much better ever since. ;)

Hope this helps!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I am cold hearted! LOL I think it's cool when mine catch birds. The whippet is better at it than the Greys as he can jump much higher, though, and is better at squirrels too because he is smart enough to stalk them. The Greys get the bunnies though because they have the raw speed.

I just started muzzling all of them (I have four) so I am wondering how many they are going to be able to get now

Might slow them down a tad but they can still get them with a muzzle on. I was sprinting dogs one morning on the track and one of the dogs made a sudden stop on the backside and then came trotting over to me. He had, not one, but TWO bunnies in his teeth, through the muzzle. He did drop them but it was pretty funny to see him prancing around with them. They both hopped off the track doubletime. :lol The other dog never even saw them.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Guest mpportraits

Wow, I'm astounded at how many of you go through this! I feel so less alone and I also feel I need to get something so that when she doesn't kill it, I can put it out of it's misery!f58.gif