Squirrel Horror, I Can't Get It Out Of My Head....

Guest mpportraits

Guest sorenkkg

I am cold hearted! LOL I think it's cool when mine catch birds. The whippet is better at it than the Greys as he can jump much higher, though, and is better at squirrels too because he is smart enough to stalk them. The Greys get the bunnies though because they have the raw speed.

My dh calls this "thinning the herd"... I guess we're cold hearted too.

Funny we're discussing this-- my backyard neighbor came over to me during the day to say that he just harassed (threw rocks at to get him to move) a possum, just now-- it was the middle of the day! Possums are nocturnal, no? We figured something must've gotten him up, but he didn't want to move from where he was on the fence btwn our yards.

Anyway, I thought of this thread-- partly b/c I don't want my dogs catching something from a possum or raccoon (I believe there's distemper going around?) or being hurt by their claws... but not b/c I'm really worried about the critter. As much as I love soft sweet looking bunnies, if you are in my yard, you must be able to smell that I have dogs. Forewarned is forearmed, or however that goes.

(all that bravado aside, I do try to look before I open the door to the backyard).

And I believe the "thing" you need to put a maimed animal out of it's misery is a sharp edged shovel, or a cast iron frying pan. blink.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I don't want my dogs going after anything that carries rabies since I'm in Florida. However, my dogs have killed all kinds of disgusting varmints. Sophia grabbed a massive cockroach today. They are just part of the Florida lifestyle. It was one of those horrible ones that flies. She nabbed it and carried it around, it's legs tickled her lips, and she made a face and chomped it in two and spit it out. I hate rats too and I don't want the dogs touching them because they are gross but I have to admit it's nice that they tag the fruit rats that run up and down my citrus trees out back. They get them off the top of the six foot fence, too.

No feline or squirrel is stupid enough to come in my yard. Haven't seen one in my back yard in two years. Lots of mangy stray cats out front. I wouldn't let my dogs kill them but I do trap them and take them to animal control. If they come in my backyard, I would feel no guilt if they got eaten by my hounds. If you care about your pet, keep it in your own yard.

I do get pissed when my dogs chomp snakes as I have a special love for them, since they eat rodents. I might actually cry if my dogs killed a non-venomous snake. I'd definitely be pissed, but not AT them. The snakes are smart, too, though. My whippet has bitten a venomous snake in half with one quick move, and I did thank him. I have one hound that eats the lizards off the fence too. He stands there stock still and when one comes within inches of his jaws, he has his snack. Baby birds that fall out of the oak trees are fair game too. I don't like that, but again, mostly because birds are gross and carry diseases. None of my dogs or me have ever become ill from anything they eat, though. Immune systems, I guess.

I love sighthounds as a whole, and nothing thrills me more than to see them truly coursing. It's hard to do in the East. I treasured my chances to course my hounds in the UK before the ban. I treasure them even more, now that I can never do it again. I'll have to drive to California to run my hounds on jacks!

Guest PhillyPups

My neighborhood has one less cat tonight. I have a 7' privacy fence and was out with them. Stupid cat came over the fence - AnnaBanana got it first and was mid poop when she saw it. Fast girl.

Stupid lady down the alley that feeds them and thinks it is cruel to catch neuter and release. All dogs are unscathed. I gave them all a good going over and an antibiotic just in case and bagged the cat.

I cannot blame the dogs. Mine are all high prey, sweet gentle dogs, just high prey.

Guest bluefawn

I feel bad that your experience upset you so much! My daughter is tender-hearted like that, and she is a Wildlife Rehabilitator. Katie used to catch, skin, and eat rabbits in our back yard. The upside of that is there were no rabbits left to eat the nice veggies out of my garden!! cool.gif Then Penny brought me that huge rabbit that she evidently shook to death, but it was bloodless. And this in itself says something about these behaviors being bred into them, since she never raced or even saw a track in her life. I am glad to see a lot of posts in response to yours, and that maybe all of us can collectively help ease your distress. smile.gif

Guest GreyRabbit

I completely understand your horror! I had my first experience with this recently as well (only had Cosmo-my first retired racer-for about 3 weeks when it happenned).

It was a mole, and it was midnight and he shook it a few times and dropped it and ran to the door when I started screaming so thankfully it wasn't as graphic as your experience, but I totally understand your feelings. I too was hysterical and crying and couldn't go near him or our other dog, thank god my bf was there to wipe them down and dispose of the animal over the fence and into the woods. And I too feel I will never forget that screaming sound...

But as everyone else here has said, it's their nature, and part of owning a sighthound.

RIP to the poor squirrel!

Guest mpportraits

I completely understand your horror! I had my first experience with this recently as well (only had Cosmo-my first retired racer-for about 3 weeks when it happenned).

It was a mole, and it was midnight and he shook it a few times and dropped it and ran to the door when I started screaming so thankfully it wasn't as graphic as your experience, but I totally understand your feelings. I too was hysterical and crying and couldn't go near him or our other dog, thank god my bf was there to wipe them down and dispose of the animal over the fence and into the woods. And I too feel I will never forget that screaming sound...

But as everyone else here has said, it's their nature, and part of owning a sighthound.

RIP to the poor squirrel!

Thank you rolleyes.gif We're on the same page!

Be very thankful that your hound did not get hurt. Thanks to an irresponsible neighbor who does not care enough about her cats to keep them safely inside, Riley got very hurt and rang up a $400 vet bill.

DSC04662.jpg

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest mpportraits

OMG, Poor sweet baby! This is one of many reasons my cats are not out door cats! I hope your sweetie recovered okay? Breaks my heart! I know, after I got over the initial shock of what happened, my first thought was PHOEBE! I checked her over right away. I would just be devestated if anything happened to my girl.

Be very thankful that your hound did not get hurt. Thanks to an irresponsible neighbor who does not care enough about her cats to keep them safely inside, Riley got very hurt and rang up a $400 vet bill.

DSC04662.jpg

Guest Cris_M

Next time just go back inside quickly, plug your ears, and start signing loudly! Then 15-20 minutes later come back out and see if you can dispose of the body. It's a much quicker death for the squirrel if you don't get in the way. Otherwise it is a slow death since they probably aren't going to survive the snatch and shake. Rainy once almost caught a squirrel while on a leash (not sure what I would have done) and did catch a baby bird they DH was trying to grab and put ont eh other side of the fence. The baby bird wasn't really a prey thing. Just a "Dad your much too slow!" Chomp, spit into his hands. "Here! Glad to help" I was hopeful but the baby bird was gone within 5 minutes :( I would have rather she killed it all the way instead of spitting it into his hands.

Oh and what wonderful neighbors to come and help!

Sadly, I concur. I've intervened and it just made things more awful.

Funny we're discussing this-- my backyard neighbor came over to me during the day to say that he just harassed (threw rocks at to get him to move) a possum, just now-- it was the middle of the day! Possums are nocturnal, no? We figured something must've gotten him up, but he didn't want to move from where he was on the fence btwn our yards.

You should call animal control or someone to deal with that situation - nocturnal animals out in the daytime is one of the major signs of them being infected with rabies. Especially if it isn't making an attempt to get back into hiding. Make sure your dogs don't get near it and don't go near it yourself!

Guest bluefawn

DSC04662.jpg

Awww, poor Riley!! That's terrible. I hate irresponsible people who don't keep track of their cats and dogs! Too bad there isn't a "leash law" for cats. angryfire.gif

Guest sorenkkg

Thanks, I will keep that in mind and definitely call if we see it again-- I was out today and didn't see anything (and my yard is small). I could call but would they come out to look for it? Rabies or distemper (I heard it's going around in wild animals around here) would be awful to run into.

I was thinking of this thread though again when I was out today, b/c as I let the dogs out, I noticed a black cat curled up on the lounge chairs that we left out all winter (no snow left)-- getting some late sun I guess.

Man, that cat did a 4 foot vertical leap as soon as the dogs stuck their noses out-- I don't think they even saw it, but it could've been a bad scene unsure.gif

Guest Brindled_Greys

It's happened only once thankfully! We were dog sitting another grey, and he and Thriller somehow caught it together. Thankfully they seemed to immediately break its neck, no blood. Did have a heck of a time getting it away from them, though!

There IS a leash law for cats where I live. This neighbor just feels it does not apply to her or her cats. I have called Animal Control once on her and complained, but for a second complaint you have to give your name and address and I am afraid that she might take it out on my hounds. She could easier taint something and throw it over my wall. Very frustrating.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Yep - Cody got a squirrel in the yard & when I yelled 'Drop it!', she DID and I had to watch that injured squirrel up in a tree for DAYS as it slowly died... much better to let them finish it quickly if they get hold of one... but it is HORRIBLE to watch...

Hugs

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I am so sorry you had to see that.

Maddie caught a rabbit 2 months after I got her. I did not see the rabbit in the yard and she was too fast for me. She brought it into the house still alive, screaming (it is the worst sound to hear) I am screaming at her to "drop it", she is running from room to room and almost went upstairs with the rabbit, I get smart and say Maddie's favorite word- "Cookie" - she drops the rabbit who runs behind a chair, I am trying to keep her away from it. Luckily I had left the sliding back door open and the rabbit hops out the back door and into the backyard. It shook me up and I went to sleep with the scraming of the rabbit in my head. Now, I scan the backyard really well and bang on the siding of the house before I let her out.

We also have a neighbor whose boyfriend moved in with his dog who is mean and charges the fence line every time Maddie and I come out. It has gotten to the point where I had to put chicken wire on my fence so that he can't stick his muzzle through to attack Maddie when she comes to the fence. They leave the dog out all day. And besides that, their fence is encroaching on property and the neighbor's on the other side of her, so we have to sue her and go to court to get her off it. Meanwhile Maddie and I can't enjoy our backyard. Rant over.

Edited by Maddiesmom

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

No squirrels, but Dante has snatched dim-witted birds that fly by too closely. No noise, either, but just a few feathers sticking out of the corner of his mouth as he swallows quickly. Yuck! Now, hijacking myself, Milo (the cat) brought me a SNAKE yesterday, still slithering! eek.gif

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest mpportraits

Milo (the cat) brought me a SNAKE yesterday, still slithering! eek.gif

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWpuke.gif

Guest mpportraits

UPDATE on 3/12...sooo, the other squirrel has returned as I watch out the sliders, that squirrel is taunting Phoebe again!!!! She's staring up the tree trunk, so I can only imagine what that squirrel is doing!!!! Really??? Do they not learn????????????????????dunno.gif

Guest SusanP

We scan the yard carefully before letting the dogs out (at night, DH bangs the bushes with a stick, first. In all seasons but winter, we bang on the back door to alert critters before letting the dogs out). And we muzzle outside. This is not only for the sake of the wild critters, but because we have 4 hounds who will fight at the fenceline if the pugnacious neighbor dog starts barking at them. On occasion, they've killed a critter while wearing muzzles.

Sadly, I"ve learned the hard way that if they have a critter, it's kinder to let them finish it off. The damage they do almost instantly has always been lethal. The only exception was a neighbor's cat, whom the vet was willing to treat (emergency surgery and $2,000 vet bill). Our vets won't treat wildlife, so that isn't an option for them.

I will never believe a small prey animal's life/feelings are negligible, and I confess that I have a big problem with the way nature is set up, though clearly there isn't a thing I can do about it. I don't have to like it, though.

Guest SaddleWags

Luckily we haven't had any squirrels disappear. Instead, my grey wanted to try some cardinal. I reacted very much like you, luckily there wasn't any aftermath to see. My neighbor scaled the fence between our houses in a panic because he thought something had happened to me, I was screaming, "drop it, drop it".

Afterward I couldn't look at my pup the same. He acted like such an "animal".

Oh, and I really enjoyed picking the feathers out of his teeth the next morning.

After seven years, I've kind of gotten over it. It's always squirrels and it used to really gross me out but now I just clean up the remains and get rid of them. They did get a cardinal a week or so ago and that was sad...but more than that, puzzling. How in the world did they get a cardinal? Luckily, they've never gotten anything "domesticated"...they did tree a kitten a couple of years ago but I was able to distract them long enough for it to escape.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

• 1 month later...
Guest BayberryFam

I know this is an older post, but Colt just got his first squirrel. We've had him for 4 months and there are 5 or so squirrels that go up and down the neighboring fence and tree line. No mess, no struggle (that I saw), he just brought it whole (and clean might I say) right up to the door. I don't feel bad at all because I could see the pride he had. My only concern/question is, is this bad/wrong? If my neighbors saw it? Or does it increase their preying skills, that he'd go for something bigger (friends mini-dachshund)? Or am I just worrying too much? Thanks. PS, this is my first post!