Darla Is Home

ivon

Guest Heehoo

No you're not morbid or crazy...we all understand. This is one place you can come to & everyone knows how you feel.

I still go to the "special box" and get their collars our or look at their pictures & for a moment wish they were still here....knowing that they're not.

:beatheart

Guest iconsmum

I have three sets of ashes in my office. I too thought of spreading them in the country as soon as I got them back, but the truth is, I can't part with them either. So every now and then I kiss the boxes and tell them what good dogs they were and that we'll all stay together forever. There's nothing weird about taking care of remains, so ignore criticisms.

In 2004 (B.G. before greyhounds) we lost our goldie Louie who we had for 14 years. It was just devastating and came just as my DH was retiring and we were relocating. We planned a trip of a few weeks while waiting for our house to be done but picked up Louie's ashes in a beautiful urn shortly before we left. Planned to scatter those ashes on the North Carolina beach where we all had such good times and memories. However, at the end of a week's stay there, we looked at each other and realized we both were not ready to let him go. Maybe it sounds strange but he was still with us urn and all and to just leave him didn't seem right. So we three traveled on to Fla and finally returned north to our new home. The family room has a mantle and that is where Louie ended up, right in the center, place of honor, surrounded by photos of the family he loved and was so loyal to. After a few years Louie migrated to my walk in closet, safe on a shelf with some other very special things. There he will stay until one of the two of us goes and then he will go with DH or me, scattered together somewhere special to us.

You're not crazy. You should do what feels right to you. You don't need to do anything right away. After my Dal passed, I planned to scatter her ashes in the woods along her favorite walkway. I couldn't bring myself to do that, so I've kept them here with me.

Take care of yourself.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

I lost Shadow just over 4 weeks ago. His ashes are in a box on my desk with his collar on it. I like it there for now because I can look at it and think of him whenever I want (which is very often). Will I keep him here forever? I don't know. But for now it feels right.

You don't have to make a forever decision right now. Just do what feels right, and if that changes in the future, that's ok, too :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

When I lost my BabyDane in 2004 I bought a beautiful flat bluestone grave marker to bury in the yard so it could be mowed over and had all intentions of burying her close to her favourite place to sunbathe in the back yard. got the flat marker so Dad wouldn't have to mow around it he could go Over it. The box and the marker are on the book shelf in the living room at Mom and Dads....how could I put my beautiful BabyDane out in the yard!?!?

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

I could never even consider scattering CoCo's ashes either. She actually came with us to Dewey. I even carried her to the beach one day. I won a purple boa in a benefit auction a few years ago and I've decided it's CoCo's. I have it hanging over her little box of ashes along with her purple collar. :blush

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I think we all understand those feelings, so you should never be hesitant to share. I feel the same way you do. I didn't want to scatter or bury the ashes of my Greys and cats either, because there is something very comforting in their nearness, looking at the pictures, collars and tags. I have different memory boxes and urns tucked away all over the house. I have to admit that I do something that some people might think is morbid (because I have to take the ashes out of the bags)---but for the last several years, I've brought some of Nick and Winnie's ashes with me to Dewey (in a little jar). They LOVED it there; those trips are some of my most treasured memories, and I just want to have them with me. The last thing we do before we leave is this: we go down to the beach and I scatter the ashes in the ocean. Silly, maybe, but it makes me feel better.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Give it time......you will know in your heart......

Was intending ourselves to do a part of the garden as a rememberance place for our pets......but just as we were going to do it I got cold feet. I just couldn't bring myself to let them go by putting their ashes outside in case we moved house - again.

Until we are settled somewhere for the rest of our lives that's just not going to happen....

They are with us in the living room on our book shelf in their boxes all three of them :wub:

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest DundeeToddsMom

You're not crazy at all - unless we all are!!

I thought we would scattter our angel's ashes in their favorite place outside - but to this day I still can't stand the thought of them being outside without their family...

So we have three boxes in our bedroom, the place they spent every night with us...my Sweet Bubba, my Sweet Dundee, any my precious sweet angel Natasha whom went to the bridge in Nov 09.

Absolutely not crazy - I have three in urns with their collars on my bookshelf. Thought about burying or scattering, but what if I moved (and I did)? They're all together, and I can't see parting with them. We don't chat often, but sometimes I do find myself picking them up and giving them a little scritch around the neck of the urn, about where an ear might be on a head...

Spring-siggy-with-Hana.jpg
Angel Gary (Hallo Smoke'em 2000-2013), Angel Molly (Kiowa Mysticrule 1999-2011) Linda, Hana, Sultan

Guest Energy11

When My Bob found he was dying of cancer, he put in his will, that when Energy died, he wanted Energy's ashes spread with his. Bob died 2.5 years before Energy, so I kept his ashes in an urn. When Energy passed, I mixed both sets of ashes together, and spread them on the beach where Bob logged hundreds of miles on his walks, per his wishes. I still have some of them, which will be spread with me.

Dasher and Max, are in urns, in our livingroom. They were happiest around the family, so that is where they are.

What is done with ashes is a very personal decision, and none are "wrong, morbid, or crazy."

I DO understand what it feels like to get them home, too.

Much love! Dee

I don't think you are crazy at all!

All of my pets will be cremated and placed in urns or memory boxes...and when I die, they will all be buried with me. I may need an extra large casket, but, so be it. :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest BlueCrab

Wow - it's interesting (and quite comforting) to hear how many of "us" think alike. We have Beanie's, Otto's and Duke's ashes all in the nice wooden boxes they came in. The ashes had been on a shelf in the den in the old house, and once the bookshelves are up in the new house, they'll go in the family room in a place of honor.

With Otto & Duke, I placed their collars in the velvet bag that held the box, along with their favorite toy. And like so many others, I just could not stand the idea of parting with them, altho our original intention was to spread them. Just can't do it. I was surprised at how overpowering that was when I realized it.

DH and I both want to be cremated but to have our cremains buried in a beeyootiful cemetary in the Finger Lakes of NY overlooking Watkins Glen. The last to go will take all the pets with them. No one will ever come visit us there, but we'll be toghether so who cares.

My sister thinks the whole dog ashes thing is "gross". I just brought Ajax's ashes from mom's house when we were cleaning out the house. Sister wanted to throw them away and I told her no way, give them to me (Ajax had been mine when I was in college but I left him with dad when I got married and moved out. Ajax LUVVED my father.)

So no, you're not morbid. As stated by so many others, this is the place for you to come state your thoughts - so many of us seem to share those very thoughts. So sorry for your loss.

Guest EmbersDad

my ember and jed are in ceramic urns i got from sarah snavely. they sit at the top left and right of my media center in the living room along with other treasured memories of theirs, jed has a ceramic footprint with his, ember has her last collar and leash she wore on that fateful day, a heart shaped metalbox with her tags in it, and a small ceramic box with some fur the vet gave me. you are not crazy at all...and if you think u are, move over coz i will join u.

You are not that crazy lady but a lady grieving in your own way. Please do what makes you comfortable. Many years have passed since I lost my last grey and I have her and the others in beautiful urns in my bathroom (my DH has no say of what I do in my own bathroom). Their ashes will be scattered with my ashes and we will be one again. Thinking of you in this difficult time.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg