Darla Is Home

ivon

The vet called today, said she is ready to come home, so I went and picked my girl up, I hugged that box and carefully carried it to the car, set her on the front seat of the Fit that I bought because of her, and very, very carefully drove home. Now what do I do? I thought I might want to spread her ashes in the backyard, she loved it back there, among the trees.....but I don't, I don't want to put her out into the cold and dark, can't stand the thought of it. I also can't very well put her on the mantle, DBF and DS already watch me closely for signs that I need to be locked up. Ok, so I will be the crazy old lady who has a collection of wooden boxes in her closet, I should put a sticky note on it that says, bury this box when you bury me? I don't know what to do, I am not as sad as I thought I would be, in fact I feel more relief for Ms. Darla than anything, but I can't part with that box....Color me crazy, but at least my girl is home, and she always liked to come back there and check out my closet anyway, she was curious like that.....

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest jfroggirl76

The vet called today, said she is ready to come home, so I went and picked my girl up, I hugged that box and carefully carried it to the car, set her on the front seat of the Fit that I bought because of her, and very, very carefully drove home. Now what do I do? I thought I might want to spread her ashes in the backyard, she loved it back there, among the trees.....but I don't, I don't want to put her out into the cold and dark, can't stand the thought of it. I also can't very well put her on the mantle, DBF and DS already watch me closely for signs that I need to be locked up. Ok, so I will be the crazy old lady who has a collection of wooden boxes in her closet, I should put a sticky note on it that says, bury this box when you bury me? I don't know what to do, I am not as sad as I thought I would be, in fact I feel more relief for Ms. Darla than anything, but I can't part with that box....Color me crazy, but at least my girl is home, and she always liked to come back there and check out my closet anyway, she was curious like that.....

Your not that crazy person who needs locked up. You loved her and are entitled to grieve her. Mine are in nice urns that I ordered off of ebay and one is in the living room where my husbands sits (that was his buddy) and the other one is in my dinning room on top of my china closet. You should do what ever makes you feel comfortable. Maybe a nice urn on your side of the bed on the night stand. And yes they will be buried with us, that is what ever one of us had the special bond with the particular animal.

It's not crazy. :grouphug When my husbands dog, Bozley, passed away I had never had to "deal with death" up to that point. I was the one being weird about having the cremains and was ooged out by having him put the box on the mantle. But, as the years have passed and I have my own "heart dog" I think about "the box" a lot. I too wonder what I will do when I have mine. I don't want a collection of boxes but want to do something to honor them.

It's funny because now it is me that my husband and kids tease about the box on the mantle. You see, every so often when I am cleaning and dusting it off I find myself talking to Bozley and telling him what has happened in our life since the last time I dusted :P

(((Hugs))) to you, Ms Darla will be happy what ever you choose to do. :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Home with you is where she belongs. You can talk to her and feel her presence. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, at all.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest EmilyandSioux

I have it written in my will that all the animals that have goen before me are to be put in the casket with me. It is not strange at all. They are a part of the family. I also has paw prints taken of them and they are to go in there also. It might be a little crowded but we all love to snuggle anyway. You are not strange for putting them in the living room. I have several in the living room and several more in the bedroom. You would never know what it is unless someone asks. If someone has a problem with it then it is their problem and not yours.

First of all, I'm so sorry to learn that you lost your sweet girl, Darla. When I brought the ashes of my beloved chocolate lab, Chaka, home people asked if I was going to spread her ashes in her favorite place, I told them I had no intention of spreading her ashes all over my bed! My plan is to have my dogs cremated and when it's my time to have their ashes and mine all mixed together so we are all together again. After that, I don't really care where they go, bury them, cast them to the wind, all that matters to me is that we're all together. If that's crazy, so be it!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

The right thing to do with them will come to you. Maybe sooner, maybe later. If DBF and DS give you a hassle or start looking at you funny, give me a buzz and I'll come out there and smack them a couple good ones for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I thought the same thing...I would take Rascal's ashes to the beach where we used to live. Completely different when I picked up his ashes. They are on my night stand in a wooden box. No DBF or kids to think I am crazy though!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest bellenzo

After Enzo died, I kept his ashes on my refrigerator for over a year. Last week, when I lost Bella, I brought her home in a nice burial box provided by the vet (small dog, pug). I buried her in the back yard and spontaneously decided to place Enzo's ashes into Bella's grave. I hadn't planned to do that, but it felt right. My point is that perhaps you too will know what to do when the time is right. I'm sorry for your loss.

We had Sarah's ashes returned to us in a 8 x 4 inch oak box with a brass name plate. We have put up a floating corner shelf in our livivng room and Sarah's box sits on it and we have a photo of her beside it. Do whatever you like, she was your dog and you loved her, it really doesn't matter what anybody else thinks.

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug To you. You are not crazy. Darla is your beloved companion, her spirit will always be with you.

Some of the ashes of mine are in the garden at GreyHaven. I have 4 boxes on my dresser (Runner and SugarBear were so bonded they are together in one that a friend had made for them). I say good morning to them every day and good night to them at night. Afterall they are my angels watching over me. I also plan to have all our ashes mixed together when I go with my ashes to go to Greyhaven.

Guest dragontearz

It's not morbid at all - while my Guinness is still with me, I've thought about what to do when he dies, and figured I'd have him cremated and distribute the ashes like this: a little bit in a keychain container all sealed up so i can always have him with me, a little at each of my friends houses backyards- they always welcomed him and loved him, a bit when we camp in the summer on our spot(he loves camping), and a bit in a container for the mantel or a shelf...I might put a bit in a painting too when I paint one of him..

Guest Liz_in_PA

My favorite cat is in the cabinet. But it was pretty funny when we moved and the smart aleck college students were packing us. "Hey, be careful with my dead cat, will you?" The kid just about dropped Lucas! We snickered.

Now, my MIL is in my SIL's closet and all of us think it's just fine that she's there in the dark. MIL was not always appreciated...

As my mom is the only one in her state, she's told us that we don't have to bury her there and thus be responsible for a gravesite 1,500 miles away. I offered to scatter her in the same place as my father and she could join up with him blowing across the great plains... she declined.

So this is what I offered next http://www.lifegem.com/ Perhaps some of you who are independently wealthy should consider this for a heartdog.

:grouphug

Bailey is on a shelf in my home office. I kept thinking I would put some of her ashes in different places around the country that we lived. I took her to Cincinnati, thinking I would leave a little bit of her in Sharon Woods, her favorite place there. I took her to Gloucester, thinking I would leave a little bit of her at the lighthouse beach we visited every single day. I just haven't been able to part with her.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks about your decision. She was your baby, and you deal with it however you feel appropriate. Our intentions with Butkus are to keep a bit of his ashes in a locket or keychain container like Dragontearz mentioned, and spread the rest at our cabin up north so we can visit him at our happiest time every year. Like others have said, that may change when we actually bring him home, but whatever we decide, it's OUR choice to make, and those who feel like judging us can jump in a lake.

Guest KennelMom

Put the ashes where you want. For a long time after a hound dies and we bring the ashes home, we'll usually keep them in the room the dog loved the most...We've actually run out of space in our current house, so I had to pack them all up (talk about feeling like a giant A$$ :( ). When we build our dream house in a couple years, I plan on doing a memorial "Rainbow Garden" and incorporating a portion of their ashes there....the rest will be combined with my ashes when I die.

Guest windycove

Do what makes you happy. A little of my Winnie is at "our beach" and I'll take a little of my Windy with me next week to that beautiful spot also. The rest of my Grey Girls will be mixed with me and we'll all go into the ground in St Francis Garden.

So for now they are in their boxes in my bedroom, guarding and guiding from the Bridge.

Batmom, I'll join you on your trip to smack some sense into them!

My kitties are in the urns they came back from the vets in on the shelves at the end of the living room. DH's special "heart kitty" will be buried with his ashes when that time comes. The rest will be scattered with mine at the Jersey Shore, Glacier, Yellowstone, and the ND prairie.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Clarice is in an ornate box on a special table in our dining room with pictures of all our dogs on it. It is agreed between DH and me that we will save all our dogs' ashes and divvy up who gets buried with whom, but Clarice get buried with the last to die. I don't think you're silly or crazy. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

I'm due to pick up Brandy's ashes from the vet next week and I've been panicking a bit thinking about how I'm going to handle it. She was my soul dog.. she went everywhere with me. I haven't quite got my head around having/holding her ashes yet.. it's strange to me, but I just cannot be without them either. You're certainly not crazy. (Unless I am too.) When you said how you didn't want her to be out in the cold.. I thought the exact same thing, which is why I cannot scatter her ashes. They will stay with me for life and when I'm gone and cremated myself.. I want Brandy's ashes with me, mixed with my own, because she was part of me in life.

A little of her ashes are going to go into one of these:

http://www.petreliquaries.com

Maybe you'd like to do the same, so in a way, she can always be nearby.

Please don't feel crazy.

So totally NOT crazy. You'll figure out what's right when the time comes. Until then, you need to do what brings you peace.

My aunt's heart cat is in a box in her bedroom. I'm her legal custodian and she's left STRICT instructions to have her cremated, her ashes mixed with her cats and sprinkled over my great grandfathers tomato garden.

Hugs to you :)

VPCTshirtLogo3-1-1.jpg

petblink7.gifpetblink63.gif

"Speak your mind - even if your voice shakes" - Maggie Kuhn

"It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not" - Unknown

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh Crap. She's up." - Unknown

Brindle, and soon Pearl will be in a cabinet with glass doors. But it's deep, so they're hidden in the back.

My will states that their cremains be scattered along with mine into the ocean.

So, their urns are not stuffed in the back of a closet, but they aren't in immediate view either.