Grey Eating The Cat's Food

Guest Chefcnam

Move the food (and the litter box) somewhere the dog can't reach - another room or floor, inside a closed door (with a catdoor installed inside), under a box or cabinet, inside a cat carrier.

Cat food is like candy for them. If they can get at it, they will.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I tried a couple of things.

This worked the best in our home. The only thing that really worked for me, was to put the food up where Brady could not eat it. I ended up putting Ms India's food on the buffet. I had have french doors into my dinning room and the opened door blocked Brady.

The other thing you might try is baby gating your Greyhound out of the room. I did this too. The gate was high enough for Ms. India to go under but not Brady.

Good luck!!

I am sure that you will get other options.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

We moved food to counter since we free feed cats. Be very careful with the litterbox too.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest shanesmom

I moved the cat food to the bathroom counter and the litter box on the floor in the bathroom. Elton is afraid to go in the bathroom. He tried once and the kitty threw a fit and chased him out.

I put the cat's food down a step on the stairs that lead from the kitchen to the basement -- it isn't far, but my grey can't reach her head below her feet so she leaves it alone.

As you may well soon learn, grey digestive systems tend to be extremely sensitive, so getting into cat food is likely to lead to very unwanted effects. And yes, keep her away from the kitty litter too -- dogs love poopsicles!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

My cat food bowl is on my kitchen island where the dog can't easily reach it. Yes, if he REALLY wanted to, I suppose he could get it, but he never has.

I use covered litter boxes, and clean them twice a day. He's never even gone near them!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My cat's food and litter box is kept in a bathroom, protected by a baby gate. :)

Cat food + gh = Big D around here. ;)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest Chefcnam

My cat's food and litter box is kept in a bathroom, protected by a baby gate. :)

I'm sorry I'm new to the boards, what does gh mean? Still trying to learn the common abbreviations used on GT.

Guest FreddyGirl

I placed the cat food behind a baby gate that the cats could go under. It's a no brainer, I learned. Leave the cat food where the dog can reach, the dog eats, LOL.

We had to move the cat food here too! It was safe on the dining room table until Sunshine learned how to counter surf. Now we free feed them up on a cat tree. ;) It goes up the the ceiling and was $40 at wally world.

------

Jessica

Guest 4dogscrazy

I'm sorry I'm new to the boards, what does gh mean? Still trying to learn the common abbreviations used on GT.

gh = greyhound :)

I keep the kitty food and poop box in our finished basement...the dogs will not go down the stairs and kitty likes her privacy!

Guest jettcricket

I have a small bar in our kitchen and that's where the kitty's eat. I do have to keep an eye on my Dave thou...I caught him a couple of times standing on his back paws helping himself. dry.gif

Guest lasharp1209

Top of the fridge here too! Our foster is a professional counter surfer and what I like about feeding the cats on top of the fridge (there's a countertop next to it so they can easily jump up) is that it's out of sight. I hate to clutter my countertops, so this way when people come over nobody can really tell there are a couple bowls of cat food up there.

We feed the cats in our extra bedroom (they are on a mealplan, so it isn't out all the time) and the door is mostly closed. If we free-fed, there would have to be a babygate there (and a strong one, because he broke into his babysitters' cat room and helped himself to their cat's food). We also keep the litterboxes behind a different babygate, which used to be a low one until we got Allie who thinks she would be a great agility dog and figured that hopping over a 1.5 foot gate was a cinch. We got one with the little kitty door in it and there haven't been any problems since.

We have a landing at the top of our basement stairs. The cat eats there, and the basement door is babygated. Bootsy comes running anytime he hears that babygate lift. He will do anything to get to that cat food. :lol

Litter box is in the basement.

I love my cat, but litter boxes and cat food gross me out beyond all reason, so those items are most definitely NOT in my kitchen. :lol

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Chefcnam

I ended up moving the food to where Willy can't reach it and as for the cat litter, she doesn't even go into the bathroom where it is located. I was just afraid that since the kitty's food has been in the same place for the past 4 years that she might get upset or stop eating, but that certainly wasn't the case. Hopefully kitty will stop hissing at Willy soon, luckily for kitty, Willy pays no attention to her whatsoever. :colgate