90% Chance Tanners Limp Is Cancer

Hollis

:grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

candle.gifhope.gif For Tannerhope.gifcandle.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending lots of hugs for yourself and scritchies for your boy. Hope the diagnosis is wrong.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bigorangedog

I am so, so sorry to hear this. My heart boy Tanner was diagnosed with osteo one year ago yesterday. He was 13 years old, and it was too far progressed to do anything for him. We let him go 3 days later because he was in terrible pain. I still miss him every single day.

I've had 5 dogs with osteo this year.

But my good news is, the 2 who had leg amps are still with me and doing greyt! Whitey had his leg amputated 2.5 months ago and runs around like he's never known any different. He has had no side effects from the chemo that Dr Couto sent. Whitey is 11.5 years old. Apollo had his amp 2 weeks ago, and he is also doing really well so far. He turned 10 years old today.

Here is a little video of them. Whitey is 2 months post-amp here, and Apollo is 1 week post-amp

If you have ANY questions at all about leg amputation or anything else osteo-related, please feel free to contact me. You can see Whitey's progression if you look at my blog (in my sig) from late November.

I wish no one ever had to deal with this ever again. Wishing you all the best and many good days with your sweet Tanner.

Jen

I'm sorry. I hope he's in the 10%.

Yes, between the stress and the manipulation needed to get the x-rays, it's not surprising he's whining. I hope he feels better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

:(

I hope it's not cancer. It seems like a long time for it not to have progressed? I would get a second opinion on the x-rays, just to be sure.

yeah, I think so too Lindsay. I'll be calling tomorrow to have lead doc look at the film. You know where I go right? Any thoughts on any where else?

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest LindsaySF

You can email or snail mail the x-rays to Dr. Couto.

I go to Naugatuck Vet Hosp and I've always liked them. I haven't really had to deal with much bone/x-ray stuff there though. Teagan had a bump on his wrist that I had x-rayed because I was worried about osteo and it was fine (the vet said probably a soft tissue injury with scar tissue), that was the only time.

When my ferret had insulinoma I took him to CT Vet Center (West Hartford branch, exit 44 off I-84) and they were great. They are a bigger place and have more equipment and stuff on-site. I haven't been there in a few years though.

Have a few different vets at your place look at the x-rays. Extra sets of eyes will help, not everyone agrees on what they are seeing. Did they say if it is bone cancer? Is it in the shoulder joint? Since he's had the limping for so long, and the Deramaxx helped, I would suspect a pinched nerve or a muscle injury or something. When the vet said the left shoulder was bigger did she mean the actual bone was larger, or the muscle was inflamed?

~Lindsay~

she said 90% sure. I saw the xray and it looks like the joint. The deramaxx absolutely helped in July. And again the time after (I really cant remember the month) Then he started limping again right before Dewey so I know that was October. We've kept him on the Dera since and added Tramadol. He seems to get worse when the weather gets worse. Cold, snow, rain. So we really really really thought arthritis. I just dont know what to think anymore. I'm going to ask the doc that said he DIDNT think it was anything nasty in December because we HADNT seen any growth........

I'm just so very confused. His shoulder is definitely swollen today and he's in pain. But the stress and activity of yesterday is the culprit of that I think.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Having been where you are, I wish I had some words of wisdome. All I can do is pray for the best.

And I am. Very much.

Having been where you are, I wish I had some words of wisdome. All I can do is pray for the best.

And I am. Very much.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

And I am. Very much.

And I am. Very much.

thanks Robin. Twice. ;)

I am so sorry that you are facing this. I will pray that it isn't cancer. I wanted to pass along the contact information for Dr. Couto's team at OSU so you don't need to go searching for it if you decide to contact them. Dr. Couto is out for another week but one of his team can help you. You (or your vet) should send or email the x-rays and any other pertinent test results. Here is the info:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Medicine

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Dr. Urie is from the United States. All of the other vets are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for Dr. Urie or one of the vet techs to "translate".

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is the same. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

Jane

I am so sorry that you are facing this. I will pray that it isn't cancer. I wanted to pass along the contact information for Dr. Couto's team at OSU so you don't need to go searching for it if you decide to contact them. Dr. Couto is out for another week but one of his team can help you. You (or your vet) should send or email the x-rays and any other pertinent test results. Here is the info:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Medicine

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Dr. Urie is from the United States. All of the other vets are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for Dr. Urie or one of the vet techs to "translate".

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is the same. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

Jane

Remarkable. I am deeply, deeply humbled and so grateful for the information and your support. I've seen how greyhound people support each other but (thankfully) have never had to be on the receiving end. Bless you Jane. Bless each and every one of you...........