The Loss Of My Casey

Guest GreytfulJack

Guest GreytfulJack

Yesterday was a very sad day for me. My Casey, who was 13 in December, passed away.

Casey became sick in November. Her lymph nodes in her neck were swollen and she was running a fever. Her other nodes were not swollen. We initially thought she had an infection in her mouth but we were unable to get a good look inside. My vet put her on antibiotics and we went back a few weeks later. At this time she was feeling good but the nodes were still a bit swollen. The other nodes were still normal. We decided to continue another round of the same antibiotic. In January, she became sick again when the lymph nodes in her neck became really enlarged and her fever spiked. We ran bloodwork and there was no sign of infection. The vet considered that she might have Lyme so we decided to try Doxy. She responded immediately and the nodes in her neck shrank so we thought we were all set. Until they started to grow again.In two weeks she spiked another fever and the other nodes were now swollen. Yesterday, a simply aspiration showed what we then feared....Lymphoma.

Casey was a senior when I adopted her. She was my third greyhound and she walked into my heart and home like she had been there her whole life. It all feels empty now. I know there are others here who connect with this pain. Today I am tired but I am peaceful because I know she is no longer not feeling well and I know I did the right thing. I hope she is playing with all the other greys, eating lots of toast with warm butter and laying on every available couch heaven has to offer...I love you Case. xo...Mom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:f_red First of all, I'd like to send my deepest sympathy to you and empathy for the loss you are feeling. I know how you feel. But to me (and I'm sure Casey), you are a hero. Thank you for taking in a senior dog and giving that dog your love for the time she had left. Since dogs live in the moment, the last moments of her life were spent in the company of someone who loved her very much. Thank you for the time well spent with a dog that only knew love while she was with you. She will occupy that special place in your heart that she deserves. And you will be a better human because you loved her.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Casey. Any hound that loves buttered toast has to be special flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I am so sorry for the loss of your Casey.

:(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Buttered toast. That's a special girlie. I am so sorry for your loss. And, what the others said, thank you for opening your heart and home to a senior, Casey sure won the lottery on that one. Old dogs are the best dogs. Sending youbighug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Casey

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm glad to hear that you're at peace.......Casey was well loved and although I know it hurt your heart, you gave her the most loving gift you could give by releasing her from her pain. I'm so very sorry :grouphug