Prayers Needed For Karen And Her Little Girl, Penny

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

SEE UPDATE POSTED BY KAREN, # 84.

Hello all.

I HATE when I have to come on here for things like this!

A lot of you, who were at Mt. Hounds last year, might remember my friend, and co-first aid presenter, Karen . I just received a call from her. Karen's 12 yr old TINY brindle girl, Penny, has Osteo of the spine, and is in BAD PAIN!

Just three days ago, little Penny was doing zoomies in the snow around her Mom's backyard. She has deteriorated DRASTICALLY within the last few days! This little girl, along with her sisters and brothers, were dumped as puppies, on a highway, and set on fire, by their owner! They came into the adoption program, badly burned, neglected, and with broken bones! Penny survived this, but cannot survied OSTEO!

This fiesty girl, survived being adandoned, burned, broken bones, etc, ... and now, has cancer! Karen has been a wonderful Mom to this little girl whomheart.gif she has had since a pup, and had to nurse back to health.

We are asking for ALL the PRAYERS you can muster for Penny and for Karen! Karen's daughter, Amy, is going over to spend the night, but I think, from what Karen said, she will be sending Penny to The Bridge by tomorrow. Penny is in such pain, she is refusing to eat, and Karen cannot even hug her.

Karen and I thank you for any positive thoughts you can give, and for your prayers.

candle.gifhope.gif Thank you so much! Dee, Curfew, Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee, and Cari. Robert H. (Bob) DeYonker, Bold Energy, Dasher and Max, waiting at The Bridge.

PENNY UPDATE! It is all good! :-)

Hi Liliana! I am so very happy to hear your decision! As a matter of fact, Penny has completely returned to normal, and is not on any medication. She is no longer limping or in any pain. Thank you so much for taking the time to look at her x-ray! I checked out the OSU website and you are all doing such an awesome job with the greyhounds smile.gif)Thank you again, so very much!Karen

--- On Tue, 2/23/10, Greyhounds <greyhound@cvm.osu.edu> wrote:

Subject: Re: PLEASE, send a copy of the x-rays to Dr. Couto!

To: "Karen" <lovegreys@yahoo.com>

Date: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 11:24 AM

Hi Karen

We got the cd with the chest film and we looked at it with one of our radiologist. We did not find evidence of a lytic lesion on the spinal cord.

Did your vet looked if she has a corn? If she does not, the next step might be a consultation with a board certified orthopedic surgeon and/or a neurologist to determine what is going on. The good news is that we don't see any bone tumor in the chest film that you sent us.

Please let us know how we can help

Liliana Marin . DVM

Veterinary clinical sciences graduate student.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program Coordinator

The Ohio State University

Edited by Energy11

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel so bad for Karen. There's nothing worse than feeling powerless to help your dog. I wish them peace for the last days together.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

I feel so bad for Karen. There's nothing worse than feeling powerless to help your dog. I wish them peace for the last days together.

Thank you, Ducky! ....

Guest bigorangedog

So, so sorry to hear this. Osteo of the spine was how I lost my heart boy Crisco in September. He only lasted a week from diagnosis - also in severe pain. I knew that when he would not even eat a DQ peanut butter blizzard, that we were at the end. Wishing freedom from pain to Penny and peace to Karen.

Guest Energy11

So, so sorry to hear this. Osteo of the spine was how I lost my heart boy Crisco in September. He only lasted a week from diagnosis - also in severe pain. I knew that when he would not even eat a DQ peanut butter blizzard, that we were at the end. Wishing freedom from pain to Penny and peace to Karen.

I didn't know that is what Crisco had. I am sorry. From what Karen says, and from what you said, it is pretty terrible. I always like logging onto Adopt A Greyhound Atlanta's site, by the way, and seeing your "talking Crisco!" ... God Bless you! Dee

How many times do we have to ask ourselves why life can be so unkind to those who deserve better.

Dee, they are both tucked very tightly in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

How many times do we have to ask ourselves why life can be so unkind to those who deserve better.

Dee, they are both tucked very tightly in my prayers

Thank your for your prayers. Karen is having a VERY hard time of it, tonight. I am glad Amy will be there for her.

This is heartbreaking. I am so sorry that your friend and her Penny are going through this. I will keep them very close in my thoughts and prayers. I am so, so sorry they are going through this.

That is so sad. Such a brave little girl. How horribly ironic that after all she's been through, the monster can steal her away. It does sound like she was lucky to be loved unconditionally for many years, but it's heartbreaking that this is happening so fast. I'm so sorry.

Oh, I think that's Jen's Palu that "talks". He's the original Big Orange Dog!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Prayers from me and Cougs. Coach was our osteo girl, but it was only in one leg. I cannot imagine the pain of that terrible disease on the spine. We're praying for comfort for that tiny little angel baby.

Guest bigorangedog

Palu talked on my BigOrangeDog site, but it is Crisco on the AAGA site! With DH's voice, LOL. He was my heart and soul, and it was awful seeing him in so much pain and not being able to do anything about it. All the pain meds we tried upset his tummy even more. If they're not trying it already, have them try Gabapentin - it works better than some others for nerve pain.

Guest Energy11

Palu talked on my BigOrangeDog site, but it is Crisco on the AAGA site! With DH's voice, LOL. He was my heart and soul, and it was awful seeing him in so much pain and not being able to do anything about it. All the pain meds we tried upset his tummy even more. If they're not trying it already, have them try Gabapentin - it works better than some others for nerve pain.

To be honest, Jen, I think Miss Penny is beyond meds, from what Karen was describingsad.gif. It is cool that Crisco is remembered everytime someone log into the AAGA site!

Guest TeddysMom

I will be sending lots of white light and prayers for Karen and Penny tonight and tomorrow. I can only hope that they get to spend this last day together peacefully with Penny not in too much pain.

I so feel for her. :( I had to let Renie go because of a tumour in the spine and her screams of pain still echo in my ears. No way could I keep her going longer than it took to diagnose .. when there's no hope, it seems to me that the kindest thing to do is let them go.

Poor little soul. And poor Karen, too. Sending many good thoughts their way.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop