Has Anyone Taken Dr. Couto's Advice

Thank you for posting Pearl pictures. Her hug is amazing - she radiates some tremendous love for you.

You and Pearl remain in my prayers.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking in you and your girl here, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Checking in on you and Pearl, Mary Pat. I'm worried because I haven't seen you on GT today. How are you both doing? Keeping you both close in thought today . . .

Unfortunately she's not doing anything. She's not getting worse, but she's not getting better.

But she's already pretty bad, so if she doesn't improve, she's going to the Bridge. She doesn't eat. I syringe'd a bottle of Ensure down her throat yesterday, a little at a time. So she got 300 calories.

That's not much to live on.

Dr. Couto and I are just waiting/hoping for her to 'turn the corner'.

Guest Energy11

Taking it day by day, at this point, is all you can do. The Ensure is a very good idea. Do you think if you blended up some homemade dog food, say a puree of chicken and rice with lo-sodium broth, she'd take that from a turkey baster? Just a thought. The Ensure surely will help a little.

Just sending you good thoughts, love, and may prayers! Dee and The Five

Lots of hugs and prayers headed your way.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've tried all that. Even baby food. If there is anything close to be solid she spits it out. Ensure is pure liquid.

What about Dyne? It's a thickish liquid and packed with calories.

I just want you to know that I know. Exactly.

:goodluck and :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've tried all that. Even baby food. If there is anything close to be solid she spits it out. Ensure is pure liquid.

What about Dyne? It's a thickish liquid and packed with calories.

Where do you find it?

I think I ordered it from KV Supply. It's made by Trophy. You might be able to find it at some pet supply stores or agricultural supply places. It's used for horses, etc...

Here are some links for where you can order Dyne:

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=272

http://www.kvsupply.com/Shop;jsessionid=1EB9C2C0630E55859E92819B9C5EF607?actn=quickadvancedsearch&searchtype=all&overridesrcdsp=70001&wildcardType=right&keyword=dyne

http://omahavaccine.com/product_list.asp?searchstr=dyne

ETA: Some vet in your area probably carries it or a similar supplement, tho. IIRC the other common one is Nutrical?

Here are some links for where you can order Dyne:

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=272

http://www.kvsupply.com/Shop;jsessionid=1EB9C2C0630E55859E92819B9C5EF607?actn=quickadvancedsearch&searchtype=all&overridesrcdsp=70001&wildcardType=right&keyword=dyne

Thanks for the links, but there's not enough time left to place an order. She either improves by tomorrow and we have the chemo sent to NJ. Or she goes to the Bridge on Monday instead of having chemo. At least the vet I'm using does in-home euthanasia.

http://omahavaccine.com/product_list.asp?searchstr=dyne

ETA: Some vet in your area probably carries it or a similar supplement, tho. IIRC the other common one is Nutrical?

Stat

Here's another supplement that works really well. Stat. A lot of vets will have it, especially those who deal with large animals. Farm supply places should have it too. Or you can order it. KV ships pretty quick.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Oh, I'm sorry. This must be terribly hard.

I personally firmly believe that just because we CAN do something doesn't mean we SHOULD. I you believe your dog's quality of life is still worth living, then great, but if you don't, then do what you think is kindest FOR HER.

I wish you the best.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mcsheltie

Oh lord I hope she starts to feel better! Please Pearl!

Just an FYI, be careful with the Dyne & Stat. The fat content is so high you can easily throw them into Pancreatitis. Especially when they aren't eating anything else. In your situation I have used A/D successfully. If you warm it and add some water (or Ensure) you can spoon it down their throat just like you are with the Ensure.