Another Pearl Update

Please don't second-guess yourself. You decided to give her a chance instead of not giving her one. No reason for woulda shoulda's, OK?

Is she on any tummy meds? Pepcid? Reglan? There are some others that dogs can have. Could she have low-dose prednisone?

Has she expressed an interest in eating anything at all?

When Batman was sick, if he expressed an interest and it wasn't poisonous, I gave it to him. Cinnamon bread, graham crackers, ice cream, scrambled eggs, spaghettios, lean cuisine sesame chicken, applesauce .... You get the idea.

Sending lots of hugs for you and your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put second thoughts behind you, you did what you felt was right for Pearl. We are all pulling for her and hope she get her appetite back.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest DundeeToddsMom

We did the Science Diet A/D too - that worked. We also did bottled baby food, Tasha liked hamburgers - but they had to be grilled outside on the grill. Baked yams.

Sending prayers for your and Pearl.

Edited by DundeeToddsMom

It's so hard when they stop eating. I pray she gets her appetite back. Many prayers for your girl.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I too hope she recovers her appetite. It's so very hard when they won't eat. :(

And I'm with Batmom on the second guessing: it will just drive you nuts. I know about that too. :blush

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Well she turned her nose up at her dinner, so I cooked two hamberger patties and 3 hots in the hamberger juices. She ate those.

She also had a donut (her favorite...apple cider donut from Delicious Orchards)

And a big scoop of ice cream.

She still took her heart/BP meds in oreo cookie cream (double stuff golden oreos)

This morning she turned her nose up at the liverwurst. So much for her morning meds.

So she got two more hambergers.

I then tried her meds in a donut. Didn't work. She got most of the meds out. So I ended up having to do it by hand. At least she had a full tummy though.

If she snubs hamberger, I have no idea now what to give her. I have two oven roasters in the fridge she turned her nose at. I made meatload JUST for her. Yes....people meatloaf that she used to drool over. Not anymore.

She hasn't touched chicken liver in a month. Nor her scrambled eggs.

Dr. Couto suggest I take her to Red Bank (either oncologist or internist) to see why she's not eating. It may or may not be the cancer in her liver.

I might call him today.

Guest Energy11

Hi! Sorry your Pearl is having to go through all of this! It IS greyt, though, that you got her to eat what you did! It sounds good :-))

I'd probably get her liver enzymes checked, just to be on the safe side, and when you are at the vets, I would definitely try that Science Diet AD food. It kind of looks and smells like that baby meat in a jar, and boy, I haven't seen too many dogs OR cats (it is designed for both), who didn't eat it. It is chuck full of all the nutrients a sick animal needs, too.

Good luck with getting her to eat, and do keep us posted! Sending you love, hugs and tons of prayers! Dee

:angryfire

I was just on the phone with Red Bank (huge private hospital). Dr. C said to see either an oncologist or internist. He wants another ultrasound of the liver to see if the cancer has already gotten out of control and formed new tumors and for a chem profile to see if blood values are okay (or not). So..the oncologist that saw Diamond isn't in on Fridays (I'm off tomorrow), but the Internist who has already had Pearl as a client is in tomorrow AND at the closer Hillsboro branch. So I book an appt with her.

After I book it, the receptionist calls back and said that I really should be seeing the neurologist (they looked at her records from 2 days ago when she had the stroke. They didn't listen to me when I explained what I wanted/needed). So after explaining it again, they said I should see an oncologist at the main hospital where they can also do the ultrasound. So, I call the main hospital and ask for an appt with an oncologist and explain why.

Well, the receptionist (both had been putting me on hold to talk to the doctors, so they aren't making the decisions here) told me that the oncologist can do the radiation :yikes .

Um....I'm not asking for that. I'm asking for support since my oncologist is in OHIO!

Oh, then I really should be seeing an Internist. :blink:

The Internist JUST SENT ME TO YOU! (morons!) I hung up.

I called VSEC (Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center) where Pearl's cardiologist is. This is where we had the original bad news ultrasound.

I told them what I needed. Within minutes I have an ultrasound appt at 1:45 and oncology appt at 2:40. Simple as that. All done.

Red Bank has just gotten too big for it's britches.

I'll ask the oncologist about the Science Diet and see if they have a sample I could try on Pearl. She really is picky and all my girls get people food regularly. So I can't see her liking 'dog food'.

I'm also going to ask her about radiation for the liver. The Red Bank oncologist does this to liver fibrosarcoma. I have heard others here say it was used for fibro on other tissues. But Dr. Couto says it's toxic for dogs. I REALLY don't want to doubt Dr. C. But he is still human. And I'm getting conflicting information. Don't get me wrong, I still trust him explicitly, but I would like to see if another oncologist also does the liver radiation (that would make two that do it when Dr. C says no.

Isn't this hard enough already that I don't need conflicting treatments AND idiot hospital?! :crying

Edited by MP_the4pack

Hugs. Just lots and lots and lots of hugs.

Your girl is so blessed to have you looking out for her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing! Hope everything works out well. I'd get one can of the AD (cat food size cans). Sending love, good luck and prayers!

Guest Adrianne

How frustrating and aggravating for you. I have absolutely zero advice to give, but I am thinking about you and Pearl and sending lots of good thoughts and prayers.

C'mon Pearl. Eat your dinner this evening and take your medicine.

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry to hear they gave you a hard time. Sometimes people get very confused on the phone...

It's good that she ate something at least. I agree with Batmom, I would just feed her whatever she will eat. It might take a lot of trial and error to get there. Good luck.

Our hearts go out to you right now.....what a terrible time you're having.....on top of worrying about Pearl's and Diamonds health and well being.

Wish things were better for you all....

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

I had a quick conversation with the oncologist I'm seeing tomorrow. She confirmed that you don't irradiate the liver. So there was a miscommunication between the person on the phone, the oncologist at Red Bank and me.

Also, she has met Dr. Couto and fully understands why I went out there. So there's no professional jealousy. She spent a month in oncology radiation and got to meet Dr. Couto many times. I'm feeling better already going to her.

Guest Energy11

I had a quick conversation with the oncologist I'm seeing tomorrow. She confirmed that you don't irradiate the liver. So there was a miscommunication between the person on the phone, the oncologist at Red Bank and me.

Also, she has met Dr. Couto and fully understands why I went out there. So there's no professional jealousy. She spent a month in oncology radiation and got to meet Dr. Couto many times. I'm feeling better already going to her.

THIS is good news! It sounds like you are moving in the right direction! Sending lots of love !

Wow, what a frustrating day! Glad things are settled. Hope you can figure out what happened to Pearls appetite.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hugs to you and Pearl Mary Pat! I will be anxious to hear how your appointments go tomorrow. It sounds like you are on the right track with your oncologist and possible treatment options. Have you tried baby food with Pearl? That was something they gave Smiley at OSU right after his surgery. It's stinky, mushy and easy to eat.