Whitey Has His First Chemo Tomorrow

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

Well, the doxorubicin finally came in from OSU (apparently the doctor we had been dealing with went on vacation...so nobody was paying attention to our case until our vet called and said, "um, what's happening?"). So we have our 1st treatment tomorrow at 10am. They told me to expect to spend about an hour there. She kind of wanted to keep him all day, but I told her I was reluctant to leave him there without me and that I'd watch him very carefully. Hopefully we will not have complications or bad side effects!

He has been quite perky lately (we are about one month post-amp now). He was running around in the yard today and is back to his tail-wagging self. I'm hoping this will not set him back much.

He still can't get up from his amp side very well, and I sometimes need to go roll him over. And very occasionally he'll have a little twinge of pain and yelp, which must be 'phantom pain' because nothing seems to cause it. But other than that, he's great and we can't believe how well he has adapted. He enjoys doing Meet n Greets, and I am hoping he is feeling well enough to come to Photos with Santa at Petsmart with us this weekend.

I did find something that he'll eat consistently and with enthusiasm: The Stella & Chewy's prepared raw lamb diet. Yuck! Unfortunately, he won't eat it cold -- I have to pan sear it. (Says the lifelong vegetarian.) We'll weigh him tomorrow, but I'm hopeful that we're putting a few pounds on with this.

And that's today's Whitey update! Please think good thoughts for us tomorrow morning.

Jen

Best wishes!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Tomorrow at 9:30 is Diamond's chemo. (this is her third). And I've been on the phone and email all week looking for Diamond's chemo from OSU. I finally got Ashley on the phone yesterday and the chemo will be here today. Phew! Just in time. We're already a month behind due to an infection at the surgery site.

What I noticed is that Sunday morning breakfasts are not that good after Friday chemos. And she's a food hound. But she still ate her liver and eggs brunch. So don't be surprised if he's off his food. So far, it's just been Sunday mornings.

Good luck Whitey, we'll be thinking of you while we're getting done ourselves.

Mary Pat and Diamond.

Good luck. Diamond did terrific. Didn't know anything happened (other than the sunday breakfast).

Best of luck. It's hard to believe that a year ago at this time, we were gearing up for Polli's last chemo.

She didn't eat too well for 5 days after but managed to hold her weight steady.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Best of luck. It's hard to believe that a year ago at this time, we were gearing up for Polli's last chemo.

She didn't eat too well for 5 days after but managed to hold her weight steady.

Did Polli not eat for 5 days after for each chemo or just the last one or two rounds?

Guest MorganKonaAlex

My guy had decreased appetite and energy for a few days after doxorubicin, but not too bad. I had it myself and found day 3 after chemo was my hardest. Feel free to ask questions. Doxo. is bright red and his urine will probably turn red immediately after the injection. It doesn't last long though.

Guest bigorangedog

So far, so good. The administration itself was pretty easy. Just put in an IV and sit for 20 minutes. I brought in his bed, and the vet and I both sat on the floor with him. Then they had him stay an extra half hr just to make sure he wouldn't have any immediate serious issues (he didn't). He's been tired, but it was also a stressful day, so don't know whether it's the drugs or not. He did eat his dinner, so no appetite issues quite yet. We'll see how it goes, but hoping for no big problems....

:) Jen

Keep feeling good Whitey :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Good luck!

It was visible that Cougar was affected for about the first 3 days after chemo. Lots of sleeping and very picky but he would eat once we put the right thing in front of him. I think the trip down wore him out worse than the actual chemo. It seemed to be harder for his first trips, but that is when we were dropping him off for the day so I'm sure that he didn't rest any while he was there. The last couple where I waited already and then got him on home seemed to be easier on him.

Tara

Whitey - Cool whip rocks! Tell your mom to pick you some up and check it out to see if you like it. - Cougs

Guest Energy11

Jen, sending you and Whitey ONLY the BEST! We see Carl on Sunday. DH is playing Santa for the pix with Santa. Is there anything you'd like us to tell him? Many hugs! DEE

Guest bigorangedog

So far no effects for Whitey! He's as perky as usual today (meaning, totally lazy, but with good attitude), ran outside, and ate breakfast willingly. Hoping this continues!!

Dee -- give Carl a big christmas smooch from all our hounds!!! :P We miss him a lot. Keep trying to talk Lloyd into moving back, but no-go so far.

Glad things have started well. :goodluck that Whitey is one of the no-side-effects dogs. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest angelwings

Well, the doxorubicin finally came in from OSU (apparently the doctor we had been dealing with went on vacation...so nobody was paying attention to our case until our vet called and said, "um, what's happening?"). So we have our 1st treatment tomorrow at 10am. They told me to expect to spend about an hour there. She kind of wanted to keep him all day, but I told her I was reluctant to leave him there without me and that I'd watch him very carefully. Hopefully we will not have complications or bad side effects!

He has been quite perky lately (we are about one month post-amp now). He was running around in the yard today and is back to his tail-wagging self. I'm hoping this will not set him back much.

He still can't get up from his amp side very well, and I sometimes need to go roll him over. And very occasionally he'll have a little twinge of pain and yelp, which must be 'phantom pain' because nothing seems to cause it. But other than that, he's great and we can't believe how well he has adapted. He enjoys doing Meet n Greets, and I am hoping he is feeling well enough to come to Photos with Santa at Petsmart with us this weekend.

I did find something that he'll eat consistently and with enthusiasm: The Stella & Chewy's prepared raw lamb diet. Yuck! Unfortunately, he won't eat it cold -- I have to pan sear it. (Says the lifelong vegetarian.) We'll weigh him tomorrow, but I'm hopeful that we're putting a few pounds on with this.

And that's today's Whitey update! Please think good thoughts for us tomorrow morning.

Jen