All Too Familar Words... Beau Not Eating

RobinM

I'm sorry beau isn't eating, I've been there and done that with one of mine. Don't know if this will help or not but it certainly made a huge difference to my girl.

I got a new rescue 6 months ago, she is 9 and has been used as a breeding bitch for 8 years producing 42 pups. she also has a broken ankle (from 1 yr old) that was never given veterinary treatment and a smashed in shoulderfrom being beaten.

She was underweight at only 23Kg when I got her and she ate everything in sight. She put on 4 Kgs in just a few weeks which was great. Then she started to not want her food, just like your boy it took acouple of weeks to get to the bad stage. Not wanting food until the afternoon, then not wanting it until the evening. The she got very picky, would only eat raw minced meat, no kibble, veg or anything else. I tried all different things from the vets suggestion but nothing worked.

I then rang our leading homeopathic dispenser in London and they prescribed alfalfa soft tablets. I didn't hold out much hope but followed the instructions carefully and within 2 days she was eating again. Within 1 week she was back to eating all types of food again, although she will only really eat well in the evening, she is really eating well and I have no problems with her at all. As with all homeopathic remedies I had to stop the tablets immediately I saw them starting to take effect in order for the body to take over. If you carry on giving them once the body starts you can get the opposite effect and actually give the dog the problem you're trying to cure.

Good luck with your beautiful beau, it's an awful worry when they won't eat :bighug

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Robin, my heart goes out to you...I know you've been through so much and you love all your pups so much. Lots of prayers that Beau is just having an off day. Could he be picking up on your stress and worry about Ollie and his guardia issue.

All I can do from here is send prayers and white light but you got 'em...and my hope that Beau will feel better soon. :grouphug:hope

Come on Beau...we all love you and want you to feel better soon sweetie. :wub:

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Any improvement since yesterday? :goodluck

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Any improvement since yesterday? :goodluck

No, DH walked in at 1AM- took them all out and offered Beau food. Nothing.

He hasn't drank anything either.

His favorite thing to do in the whole wide world is walk. He looooves to walk, rain, snow, sun, etc.

This morning, he ran upstairs and into a bed when we were ready for walkies.

Something I forgot to mention. The night I was alone with the 4 (Ollie was overnight at the vet) Beau was on the bed and was whimpering a little. It was so quiet that I had to stop to listen if it were really him. Then yesterday he was totally off.

Something is really wrong. I will bring him into the vet today. Temp last night was 101.

I am so scared. We have been through so much and the thought of something happening to him is just too much for me to deal with.

*** I have 2:30 appointment with my vet. that is her 1st appointment.***

I am suppossed to be doing thanksgiving tomrrow and you can imagine just how much I am into that. I haven't even bought anything yet. Yesterday was the day for me to do everything. that's why I took the day off.

Maybe all the changes in routine are stressing him...too

the ride to GAA on Friday...

new baby brother in the house

Rich away for a bit

your stress about the Giardia... and then lack of

maybe it's a combo of everything.... just a thought

Does he like ice cubes? Gunny and Lexy love to chew on them.

I know Beau has been "harboring" not feeling well for a little while, but maybe this new "stuff" has aggitated the situation even more?

it's been WEEKS that it's been progessively worse. A little worse day by day.

But since he was at the vet on Saturday for the x-rays and had the sedation and shot, he's been really off.

At this point he should be starving- he is taking pred- someting is medically wrong. I just know my dog. the problem is figuring out what the he77 is going on.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

it's been WEEKS that it's been progessively worse. A little worse day by day.

That's what happens when Minnie goes sour.

I hope the vet can help him.

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

Man, Robin, I wish there was something I could do! This stinks!

Hopefully, something will turn around. Maybe even him smelling Thanksgiving dinner cooking to stimulate his appetite? You never know.

Love, hugs and sooo many prayers! Dee and The Five

Oh, no.....no wonder you are worried. You know him so well, and have been through so much.

Wish I had a great suggestion, but I can send your precious boy lots of prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

:(

Sending prayers, Robin.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Beau just ate 3 z/d cookies (17 calories each) and is now eating a hoof stuffed with frozen z/d wet canned food.

Please GOD- let him eat eat eat.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

That's certainly a positive sign. Hope it continues :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

He stopped at about 1/2 stuffed hoof (maybe 3 bites of z/d) and 4-5 cookies.

Will take him in as tomorrow is the holiday. While I know there is nothing she can do- I want him checked out- even though it will be the 3rd time in 10 days.

Edited by RobinM

Update # 2. he ate the fish. about 1/2 pound of tilapia and he is taking his cookies more freely.

:yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Good to hear he's eating a little bit more. Hopefully it's the start of a trend. I know how frustrating it is when they won't eat. And the worry that follows.

Hugs to you Robin and kisses to your sweet Beau. Keep us posted!

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018