All Too Familar Words... Beau Not Eating

RobinM

This is the first day since his exploratory surgery 1/09 that he has not eaten at all. Not a crumb.

I could see this coming for about 2 weeks getting progressively worse day by day and eating later in the day later and later. BUT this is not good. Today, nothing.

Because of Beau's IBD, the only foods Beau can have is HP dry, Z/D wet or dry and or tilapia. He hasn't had a fish (except his dehydrated fish) in a very long time so out of desperation, I made one for him. Nodda.

Waiting for a call from the vet. Other than up the pred, there are no food suggestions to be given. He is on a very low dose of 2.5 mg one day and 5 mg the next. The 2.5 is more for our mental state than for Beau. The imuran is down to 12.5 mg

He started on 50mg of pred and 50 mg of imuran.

I don't want to go there again. I just want him to eat and be happy and healthy. I know, we all want our pups to be like that. He has been through so very much especially for such a young boy.

This was the day I have been long dreading but kinda knew we would be here one day. His stool was excellent on the walk today which is great and indicates that the bowels are ok so that is why I am kinda stumped.

Not looking for suggestions but I guess prayers couldn't hurt. He definitely doesn't have an intolerance to that!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Beau. Here's th deal. All of GT is going to get the prayer cycle cranked up, but in the meantime, seeing as how it's Thanksgiving and all, just take a deep breath and eat. We're not asking for a total pig out session, just a couple of generous bites, slowly but surely. Mom will make you all the stomach calming food she knows is going to work, but you have to do your part, too. We know you can do it! All of GT loves you and wants you to stay healthy and happy! Sending hugs!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Spoke to vet- she said we kinda have to wait and see. She said to bring the pred up to 5mg every day instead of every other.

I guess we got to start somewhere.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Do you or the vet think it could have anything to do with the new pup? Does Beau handle changes to the pack okay? Just grasping at straws here.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Do you or the vet think it could have anything to do with the new pup? Does Beau handle changes to the pack okay? Just grasping at straws here.

This has been getting progressively worse over the past 2 weeks.

This was my first thought as well, since there is a stress component to IBD. It's so hard to see them not eating, but he may just need some time and coddling.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This was my first thought as well, since there is a stress component to IBD. It's so hard to see them not eating, but he may just need some time and coddling.

greysmom :D

I would have thought that too if this hadn't been a work in progress so to speak.

It started with not eating in the morning and days I am home, he would eat by 11 or 12 noon. Then the past few days it was when DH got home from work @ 3:30 -4PM. Yesterday, he barely ate at that time and later in the evening I spent quite some time but he ate a bit- not as much as he should have though and Ollie wasn't here.

Today- nothing and he threw up yelllow bile foam which is also newly typical.

I give him a pepcid at 7AM every morning.

:goodluck and :grouphug

Been there. Every time Minnie is off her food--even just a little--I start to worry. Waiting is very hard. The increase in pred is probably a good idea.

But mostly, :goodluck and :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh no. Let's hope this isn't going to be a repeat of what you had to go through so recently. :goodluck:(:goodluck

I'm sending lots of good thoughts. Come on, Beau - EAT, honey, please!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Tookl him on a walk, just him and me, he was his usual obxoxious self which is good. But still no eating and I realized he has not drank either.

If nothing changes at all in the morning, I will have to bring him in which really sux because he stresses terribly at the vet.

Come on Beau.

Here is a thought, I don't think it's it but DH has been out of town since last eve at 5pm. This is the first time ever since I know him that he is away.

I had him on speaker phone talking to Beau. The attorney he was with must have really thought we were nuts, but hey, desperate people do desperate things.

I wonder if Beau misses Rich. I personally don't think so - Beau is MY baby. But, hey, you never know.

He should be home in about 3 hours.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Maybe all the changes in routine are stressing him...too

the ride to GAA on Friday...

new baby brother in the house

Rich away for a bit

your stress about the Giardia... and then lack of

maybe it's a combo of everything.... just a thought

Does he like ice cubes? Gunny and Lexy love to chew on them.

I know Beau has been "harboring" not feeling well for a little while, but maybe this new "stuff" has aggitated the situation even more?

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Guest TeddysMom

I'm so sorry you and Beau have to go through any more. I am sending lots of prayers and good thoughts that Beau is just having an off time and will start eating again.

Hope Beau feels better soon. Perhaps when your husband comes home and his routine is back to normal he will regain his appetite and his stomach will settle. Does he seem to be concerned with Ollie being there? Hopefully Beau is just having some "off days" - I know it's impossible not to worry after all he has been through. Hugs to you both.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy