Patrick's Injured And Going Into Surgery

Patrick tore the skin on his shoulder last night--we think he caught it on something (a search of the yard will commence once we've gotten some sleep). It was obviously something that we needed to deal with ASAP and he was in pain so we took him to the evet at our old practice (the other nearest evet was twice as far away.)

She was awful--never talked to him, began by being very condescending with that old school "I'm the vet/doctor so I know everything and I don't want to hear about what you're telling me about your dog's experiences with anesthesia, and I refuse to explain my rationale behind what I want to do" attitude. When she refused to even look up the the old protocal my vet had worked out (she's been tinkering since, but basically she had come up with something safe that addressed his problems back when she was there) and refused to even consider addressing his problems. We finally had her bandage him up for our vet to see in the morning because I couldn't trust his care to someone that unprofessional who I didn't trust. Poor guy had a very long night. Also, she prescribed an unnecessary, expensive anti-biotic that is in short supply so we can't even finish the sequence with it, according to the new vet. Fortunately, it will be safe for him to finish out the 7 days with a new antibotic.

We saw another vet at our practice. I hadn't met him before since we always use the same vet (although apparently our vet had introduced him to Patrick at an earlier visit), but he listened carefully to our concerns, got on the floor with Patrick and talked to him before, during, and after examining him. He looked up our vet's anesthesia protocal and will be following that, and basically explained everything that will happen today. The other vet wouldn't give him any pain medication, at this vet he will have to wait for noon to surgery (someone else was using the OR), but he will be getting pain medication in the meantime and constant personal monitoring until surgery. I left feeling very comfortable leaving Patrick in his care. He also gave me a copy of Patrick's anesthesia protocal to keep in the car in case we ever need to seek evet care again. The receptionist said if something like this ever happens again, I don't need to call ahead, just show up as soon as they open.

So, any prayers/white light/good thoughts for Patrick (he goes in at noon and is expected to be out of surgery around 2pm) and his nervous mom and dad.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest ctgreylover

I love a vet who is willing to get on the dog's level while chatting with me. Dr Mac sits on the floor, legs spread a bit and Tony stands in there with his nose to Dr Mac's and gets all kinds of lovins. Actually, he told me he is doing an exam but Tony never suspects anything!

Makes me feel he cares about both of us because he listens!

I hope you pup feels better soon.

Guest Scouts_mom

I can't imagine a vet that doesn't talk to his/her patients!. My experience with e-vets is that the vets are either just starting out or are vets, whose own practices don't support them. After all how many people would willingly work a night shift if they didn't need to?

Sending lots of prayers! Do they have Amicar on hand in case they need it?

What is this? Is it something I should have or they should have?

I know the practice I'm at, and the prior practice we had, the vet's had complete freedom to modify the way they handled anesthesia so I'd assume they'd have it if they should.

There was a time when I had all the anesthesia stuff memorized, but life is very stressful and I just can't keep it all in there anymore--that's why I'm glad he's going with what my vet does. I am going to give a copy of that to my pet sitter and one in the car in case of emergenies.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I am sorry you had to deal with such a miserable person as the ER vet you first saw, shame on her :shakefinger , but at least now you feel much more comfortable leaving your sweet boy in good hands, it makes it so much easier for you to deal with. Just want to send good thoughts and prayers for Patrick, hoping he is up and around in no time.

SOME vets shouldn't be vets, plain and simple!

Agreed! :angry: As if Patrick hurting himself wasn't worrying enough for you to deal with!

Sending lots of good thoughts your way :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Patrick is home from surgery and doing as well as can be expected. There turned out to be some muscle tears, and pockets under the skin beyond the tear itself, but the vet feels he will make a full recovery in terms of use of the shoulder and what not. Right now he's laying down/mad at me because I'm doling out the food and water in small amounts every 10 minutes.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes.

Amicar helps with bleeding issues during/after surgery.

Ah, thank you. He doesn't have bleeding issues--more he seems to get dehydrated easily going in/during so he has to have a saline IV started before surgery, and he comes out thrashing badly and very agitated, so he needs the additional drug just before he comes out to prevent that.

I hope he recovers quickly and well. :kiss2 Patrick

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)