Amputation Tomorrow!

Guest dfriedri

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamond wasn't eating either by Sunday morning (when they did her amp on Friday) and they thought she was going to have to stay in ICU for a few more days at least until she ate.

But they started lowering her pain meds Saturday night and she ate a lot Sunday evening. She went home Monday.

So I'm betting when the start to lower the meds, she'll get an appetite.

I'm so glad she came through the surgery well. I would vote for leaving her at the vets while you are gone. At that stage after the surgery, she will be eliminating the anesthesia from her system, and adjusting to the pain meds. I think keeping her as comfortable as possible would be best. She will have LOTS of time to recover at home with you. I think it's up to you whether you see her or not, but if you think you can be positive and upbeat, then I would do it. It might make you feel better. If she's not eating well, maybe they would let you bring her something from home. I remember sitting in Winnie's cage and hand feeding her chicken breasts. I brought an old T-shirt of mine that had my scent on it---I thought that might help. Of course, the incision seeped on it, but that was okay, she was laying with it close to her. Just expect the shock of the missing leg, and try not to react, as she will pick up on that. Remember that it will look extreme, but it is soft tissue trauma---that always looks bad. People look bad with that too. The bruising, swelling, and incision will all heal and return to normal. Her fur will grow back gradually, and she will look great---she'll just be missing a leg!

Keep us up to date---you and Star are in our prayers!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest dfriedri
I'm so glad she came through the surgery well. I would vote for leaving her at the vets while you are gone. At that stage after the surgery, she will be eliminating the anesthesia from her system, and adjusting to the pain meds. I think keeping her as comfortable as possible would be best. She will have LOTS of time to recover at home with you. I think it's up to you whether you see her or not, but if you think you can be positive and upbeat, then I would do it. It might make you feel better. If she's not eating well, maybe they would let you bring her something from home. I remember sitting in Winnie's cage and hand feeding her chicken breasts. I brought an old T-shirt of mine that had my scent on it---I thought that might help. Of course, the incision seeped on it, but that was okay, she was laying with it close to her. Just expect the shock of the missing leg, and try not to react, as she will pick up on that. Remember that it will look extreme, but it is soft tissue trauma---that always looks bad. People look bad with that too. The bruising, swelling, and incision will all heal and return to normal. Her fur will grow back gradually, and she will look great---she'll just be missing a leg!

Keep us up to date---you and Star are in our prayers!

When I dropped her off I'm pretty sure everyone at the vet thought I was crazy. I brought her blanket and her kong and a fresh jar of peanut butter! It's a long time from Tuesday to Friday!

I wanted her to be as comfortable as possible.

Another interview has come up and pretty much makes the decision on whether to visit or not for me. I won't be going by the vets tomorrow since my other interview is in Bellevue, NE right away in the morning. And that is pry for the better, I'm not sure I could keep it together when I see her.

Thank you for what to expect though. That helps a lot!!!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Glad to hear she's doing so well. For what it's worth, I don't visit in those situations. They expect to leave with you and not be left behind.

Guest dfriedri

Sorry I have not been able to update. It's for sure been a hectic week!

First off Star:

Finally got to see my baby last night about 9. She wagged her tail very briefly and I think very glad to see me! I know I was over joyed to see her! Her incision was all wrapped up so I couldn't see the incission but she walked well and even did 4 stairs all by herself in order to get out to my car.

Last night was nerve racking, I didn't sleep well at all and sure enough around 2:30 she rolled over onto the "bad side" and let out a scream. She was able to relax though and sleep the rest of the night.

The vet did not have her on much for pain meds bc she really hadn't needed them while there but we did do a dose this am and it seemed to make things easier.

She has eaten great all day. Both a mixture of her kibbel and some special Science Diet cancer food and some chx breasts. She even pooped today!!!

This afternoon she was getting restless and gave me a funny look. She headed straight into my bedroom and put her front leg on my very high bed, turned and gave me a look like "well are you going to help me or do I have to do this alone". So I helped her onto the bed and we relaxed there all afternoon. I think she was just sick of her bed on the floor!

So it is for sure slow progress but 4 days out and I think she is doing great. I'll try to get a pic up sometime soon. With her being so white, the bruise is VERY visible but hopefully it fades quickly. Thank you all for your continued support!

Oh and with all of that I forgot to tell you about jobs! I was all the way from Omaha to Chicago in the last 2 days. Although both jobs were good, I loved the job in Omaha. I'm going to call them on Monday to let the administrator know how I would like to be apart of their team!

They plan on picking someone in the nxt 2 weeks!

Keep your fingers crossed!

Oh and best part, Star could go to work with me there!!!!

Edited by dfriedri

Guest bigorangedog

GREYT update!!! I am so glad to hear it. Sounds like she is doing awesome.

And glad to hear the job interviews went well too.

Jen and Whitey

Me and the boyz are sending Star thoughts and prayers..... :hope

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

It sounds like Star is doing very well. Here's to continued smooth progress.

Good luck re the job.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest dfriedri

Question

Had to take bandages off tonight.

Instantly started licking and scratching with her back leg. I put her jammies on so she couldn't get directly to it. Any other easy fixes?

Just finally reading this now, we had our own surgical situation here at our house and it's been hard to have time for other things.

So glad to hear Star is home and that she is finally able to bask in your love! My own dog did 100% better after getting home and not being cooped up in an ICU suite. Our Hurley had gastropexy (tacking stomach to chest wall to prevent the twisting that can happen with bloat) and has not licked his incision at all so we are lucky. He has had it covered until last night when the body bandage got too stretched out to function. He now has a tshirt over his incision. Definitely keep it covered but I have no idea how that is made easy and effective. It's such an odd shaped area to cover completely. The pain meds help tremendously here so make sure she is getting regular doses. 7 days post-op: he still whimpers when his pain meds are wearing out...so I would imagine you need a little longer.

Hurley sends his love and sweet healing quiet sleepy time!

Many wishes being sent to both of you....I hope the job works out so you can take your sweetie to work with you....I would LOVE that but laboratories are kind of disgusting environments for houndies!

ETA: Whitey's thread has good bandage info and a link to this:

Critte Cozies

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Sounds good so far :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Energy11

Great to hear from you!

Star really does sound like she is doing well! I particularly like where she wanted to be on the bed :-))

And, what an exciting time for you, as well!

Wishing you both the best, and, of course, hugs and lots of love! Dee and The Five

Guest MorganKonaAlex

It sounds like Star is doing well. I kept the incisions covered with a T-shirt. If there is any drainage, I put a feminine pad inside the shirt at the incision. The T-shirt bags at the stomach so I fold it up on the sides and use tape (over the shirt) to keep it from hanging down.

Guest dfriedri

Update on Star:

Kind of had a rough night. She is getting bored with laying around and so has started bouncing from bed to bed to couch! The couch is a dangerous choice but I keep a close eye on her when she chooses this for a spot to lay.

Today I wanted to go to my mom's but wasn't sure if she was ready for a ride. I left a couple times yesterday and she made no move to get up but today I barely touched the keys and she jumped right up and was ready to go. I think she was ready for a change of scenery.

It's been a good day!

I'm ready for the stinky stinky gas to end though. I've never smelled anything so rancid!