Rascal Has Acute Pancreatitis

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Rascal has been diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. This is one strong, healthy boy until Thurs night. He vomited an hour after supper and several times later until only bile was comming up. By Fri morning he seemed to be feeling better. He ate half his normal breakfast, an hour later vomited it back up and several more episodes. We took him to the Vet Fri afternoon. She took X-rays (his pancreas looks pretty angry), he got a Cerenia injection, another injection (anti-nausea?), Metronidazole tabs (14 days worth), and lots of hugs from the staff. He has lost almost 10 pounds.

All of our greys eat Eagle Pack Holistic dry food. Treats are few and far between in our house and we are aware of poor quality ingredients. We do give our oldest grey her daily pills with a big dolup of peanut butter and give the other two hounds the same amount of peanut butter so they don't feel left out. Maybe Rascal can't tolerate the peaunut butter? We really can't think of any other food item that might have caused his pancreatitis. I know that other diesease processes can be a culprit too.

Please send healing thoughts to sweet Rascal :heart:kiss2

DSCF2111.jpg

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about Rascal, but at least you are on top of it, and he is getting treatment. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way for a speedy recovery!

Sorry your boy is ill. :( Sending loads of prayers and light his way. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest zoolaine

Hope he starts feeling better soon. I know when Sunny was younger the vet said he was "prone to pancreatitis" - and to avoid high fat foods with him, so maybe switching to low fat PB would help. Doesn't seem like PB would be enough to cause it though. Healing thoughts going out to Rascal.

Many good thoughts for Rascal....it is so nerve-wracking!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

I really, really hope Rascal is ok. I have a grey who has had pancreatitis and this is a very serious, life threatening situation. My boy stayed at the vets for 5 days on IV. no food or anything just IV. They had to let his pancreas rest. Then they slowly introduced food and he recovered. I hope Rascal doesn't have another flare up. I really really thought we were going to lose our boy....

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Many hugs and kisses for Rascal. We are wrapping our prayers around that special boy. getwell.gif

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

sending many prayers from here! Rainey has had bad bouts with the same as well. Wow, she's two for two with the top two topics tonite. :( :( :( :(

:hope :hope :candle

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sending lots of healing thoughts to your boy!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hope he had a good night and is having a good morning as well. Sending scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor boy :( And poor you, how scary! Sending lots of good thoughts for Rascal!! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

For Rainey (who has had it too) -- I give very little if not zero fat to her. No table scraps, non-fat yogurt only, no peanut butter. When I make her Kongs, they're filled with kibble and "sealed" with either the NF yogurt or pumpkin. We know for sure the first episode was pancreatitus (did the test) but the other 3-4 episodes we THOUGHT was pancreatitus, may not have been -- the last time (in Feb of this year) we had to take her to the ER and her stomach had flipped to the top of her ab cavitiy (should be on the bottom), she had GVD. They opened her up and tacked her stomach, so we're wondering if the other episodes (the 2nd one was tested too, NOT pancreatitus) where the stomach flipping thing. Hopefully we won't have any more episodes!

at any rate, it's best to limit as much fat as you can. She gets enough in the treats (hard biscuits, either Milk Bones or Costco ones) and her food, we just make sure not to give her any more.

hoping your pup is doing better! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest greytexplorer

OP, did you mean a shot of Convenia? (you wrote Cerenia, and I haven't heard of that)

If convenia, that's a broad spectrum antibiotic. Good stuff.

Hope Rascal (and you) had an uneventful, restful night.

How is Rascal today?

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Rascal update: he's feeling a lot better today. He ate a larger portion of the bland boiled chicken & rice meals and taking meds like a champ. Rascal also is showing some interest in playing and did really well on our walks today. But he is still upset about not getting any more peanut butter! :angry:

Thanks again for all of the well wishes, GT people are the best! :colgate