Roger Is Licking His Feet Until They Bleed

Guest Rogersmom

Guest Energy11
What is Genesis spray?

I have it here for Wayne and it works great. It's Triamcinlolne Acetonide

Yep... excellent product! We sold a lot of it when I worked for Dr. Beau in Florida. We had one client with a low-to-the ground, Doxie, ... The dog, Happy, needed the Genesis, and it really helped his allergies.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO pred once every other day is a waste of time. I would ask your vet about perhaps getting an injection of Vetalog (longer lasting corticosteroid) and trying him on a different antihistamine like Claritin, Zyrtec or chlortrimeton--IMO Benadryl just doesn't work with for skin allergies. You could also use Malaseb wipes on his feet (helps against yeast and bacteria). Has your vet every done a skin scraping or a skin impression so you know what your dealing with??? Personally, if it was my dog and his feet were now starting to bleed I would seek out a dermatologist and that way they could get him started on the correct treatment path as you could see there are so many options.

Pred every other day is not a waste of time once the cycle is broken. It's how you keep adverse effects of pred down.

Derm vets -- maybe there are some good ones. I've not found any or heard of any that did any better than a good all round vet.

Benedryl will work with skin allergies by reducing the urge to scratch/lick.

I would cut the grass extra short and see if it helps.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Rogersmom
What is Genesis spray?

What if he licks it off, will it harm him?

Guest Rogersmom

I have stopped feeding Roger all of the food I made for him. He had not eaten for two days so I did not have to fast him. I got Wellness Core Ocean Formula dry kibble for him. It is grain free, sih-based, high proten, and thougtfully balanced. I also made him some treats out of sweet potatoes. I peeled the potatoes, sliced them, and microwaved them for 7 minutes. Poor puppy is really hungry.

Thanks for all of the advice. I think the tea bag idea is something that I can afford to try. There was an mix up with my unemployment so I am not getting much for another week. Roger is licking a lot today inspite of the frost that we had last night. Poor puppy.

What is Genesis spray?

What if he licks it off, will it harm him?

No, it will not harm him

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rogersmom

Rats! I just spent a long time writing a post and the site shut me out and it was lost. I am feeding Roger, Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish which is a limited ingredient diet, allergy formula, and grain free. My son also cut the grass yesterday but there is actually little grass left after this past summer. A vine with a small purple flower has taken over the yard. The vine smells somewhat like geraniums. I have increased the benadryl to 100 mgs three times a day and started giving Roger 4000 mgs. of fish oil twice a day. Roger now has white spots on his body that look like splatters of oatmeal. The contain large flakes of skin. Claudia has been a great help to me with suggestions that worked for her Wayne. She is also sending Roger some Genesis spray. Hopefull this will all be a memory soon.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Best wishes,

Liz and Roger

Guest Rogersmom

Yikes! I just touched one of the white spots on Roger's back and got a large flake of skin. I also got several hairs along with it. I did not pull the hairs out, they just fell out. Poor Puppy boy.

Might want to see a different vet? Were skin scrapings ever done?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Welcome to my world....

Where are you located? How high do you keep your grass?

Ask the vet for Genesis spray.

Yes, ask your vet for the Genesis spray. Roger has allergies, but I'm going to disagree with some of the other and say it's not from food. This sounds exactly like what Rusty had and it was a seasonal allergy, it had absolutely nothing to do with what he was eating. It would happen every year in the fall until around the first frost. There was something outside that attributed to his allergy. He would lick his feet until they were raw. Some years a lot and some years not as much. But I would watch for it and as soon as I saw him start licking I would start using the Genesis spray. It really helped.

Edited by Rustyroo

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Welcome to my world....

Where are you located? How high do you keep your grass?

Ask the vet for Genesis spray.

Yes, ask your vet for the Genesis spray. Roger has allergies, but I'm going to disagree with some of the other and say it's not from food. This sounds exactly like what Rusty had and it was a seasonal allergy, it had absolutely nothing to do with what he was eating. It would happen every year in the fall until around the first frost. There was something outside that attributed to his allergy. He would lick his feet until they were raw. Some years a lot and some years not as much. But I would watch for it and as soon as I saw him start licking I would start using the Genesis spray. It really helped.

The Genesis spray should be there tomorrow, may even show up today Liz

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest Rogersmom

Thanks all. I really appreciate the hand holding you have provided, especially Claudia. I have been giving Roger 4000 mg of fish oil twice a day and 100 mgs. of benadryl three times a day. The fish oil was in capsules. I wondered if they were too thick for Roger to digest so I cut them and squeezed the oil out and mixed it with peanut butter. I then put the empy capsule in warm water to see if it would disolve rapidly. The capsule did not disolve. After 30 miunutes, I wondered if any of the previous capsules had done anything but simply pass through. Oh well, Ya Gotta Love a Puppy but they sure can make one worry. For those who do not know, Roger is an Oops Puppy. I have been worrying about him since he was 7 1/2 weeks old.

That's the same mg I am giving Wayne for his allergies. I was surprised when my vet told me the amount to use and according to him, Benadryl is often under dosed for severe allergies. This is also coming from a Dermatologist

Once started on that dose, Wayne's allergies are under control He also has the Genesis spray

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest 4greytful

My boy licked his feet as well for such a long time. We also thought it was the grass , but by process of elemination with his diet, we discovered he was allergic to fish, the fish oil supplements, beef and eggs. After we figured that out, he either ate chicken or lamb and his itchy feet problem was solved. We also had to watch the treats ingredients as well.

Guest Rogersmom

I certainly hope Roger is not allergic to fish. I have him on a limited ingredient diet which is fish based and am giving him fish oil for the dry skin. We will be going back to the vet's in November for his anual shots. November is just a few days away. Roger just gave one little lick. It was time for him to get more benadryl.

Keep using the Genesis spray. I bet you will see a huge difference.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest Rogersmom

Roger's coat has is softer and has even more shine than it had before I started giving him the fish oil capsules. I put a call into the Greyhound Angels Adoption kennel regarding the white spots Roger is now getting on his body. When I was at the kennel last week for a haul, one of the dogs there had the same white spots with dry skin in them. I called to see what it was and what treatment the dog is getting. I am waiting for a call back.

Guest Rogersmom
Just a thought, has he been tested for ringworm?

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

I certainly hope he does not have ring worm. Roger sleeps on my bed. I called the vet and we have an appointment at 5:00 PM. The tech thinks it could be walking dandruff whiich is a mite. I googled it. People can get it. All pets in the house have to be treated. I certainly hope that is not the problem. We now have Carol and her greyt Magic living with us. I don't see any rash on my body. I still have not had a call back from Greyhound Angels Adoption to see what it is that Fatima has.

Roger does not seem to be bothering with his feet so much now that he has the Genesis spray, and has had the benadryl dosage increase plus adding the fish oil to his diet.

Poor Puppy Boy!

I will keep you posted as to the outcome.

Liz and Roger

Guest Rogersmom

October 30, 2009

Well Roger and I are back from the vet's. We had a good 45 minute visit. I told her of all you recommendations. She did a skin scrapping and a fungal test. She black lighted Roger for lice and mites.

She gave him a shot of Venatog. She did not see any evidence of lice or mites. She truly believes that his problem is simply seasonal allergies. She also expressed his anal glands and they were normal. The dandruff she feels is a result of a staph infection caused by the allergies. We will know for sure in 10-14 days. She said if it is a fungal infection the results will be back in less time, around four days.. She told Roger how lucky he was not to have been a racer and that he had a most beautiful coat. Thank you all for your advice. Now we will wait and see what the results of the skin scrapping is.