Roger Is Licking His Feet Until They Bleed

Guest Rogersmom

Guest Rogersmom
When I switched Roger's diet, I started him out on venison and sweet potato, limited ingredient, grain free, allergy formula but he did not like it. I then tried the sweet potato and fish. He started to get dry patches on his body so I added fish oil to his food. If he is allergic to fish, that would really be sad. I would not know what else to try as poultry was what he was eating and that could be his problem.

I'm sorry Liz, I know you're banging your head against the wall. He was doing so well. I wonder what happened to cause the setback.

My experience with food allergies is limited to Wayne and the kennel had it under control so I just made sure I followed their suggestions.

You are my best hand holder. Thank you so much. I know my vet loves Roger. She has always been good to us. I just hope this problem gets solved soon and that the solution is simple. Now with the infected anal glands added into the mix it seems like the plot is thickening.

IMG_0833.jpg

This is a picture of Roger, wearing socks to prevent licking his feet, lying on my bed, hugging his dolly.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handsome Roger :wub:

Here's the velcro strip I was telling you about Liz. As you can see, this one is pretty well worn out from using it probably about 25 times or so

velcro001.jpg

velcro002.jpg

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Rogersmom

Ok, so I will try and get the velcro strip. It surely will be more gentle on my washer than the electrical tape. In the long run, I am sure it will save money. Roger is being a brat right now. He is supper active and chewing on one of his plasitc bottles.

I've only just caught up with this and don't have time to read properly through four pages, so forgive me if I just throw in a few thoughts, which may have been discussed already.

Firstly, Renie chewed and licked her feet, but only when she'd eaten something with sugar in it. I had to be careful what treats she had, because most of the processed ones made by pet food companies are loaded with sugar. She mainly had dried tripe and pig ears or plain meat flavoured biscuits, stuff like that. If it's that, be careful with kibble too, because although very few have sugar listed as an ingredient, some have it in there, but hidden - for instance as lactose, or beet pulp. Check out the preservatives too, because a few dogs are sensitive to BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin.

Second, have you thought about the powder or liquid you use for laundry? I personally go insane with itching if I spend a night in a bed with linen washed in biological (enzyme based) laundry liquid.

Do you use air fresheners, either aerosols or plug-in? Do you use sprinkle in and vacuum out carpet fresheners? Or those pre-saturated floor wipes that you fit onto a mop handle, use, then throw away? Does he walk on untreated concrete floors ever - for instance, inside a garage?

Has he had skin scrapings for mange mites?

I know (again from personal experience) how frustrating it is to be dealing with skin problems like this. For me, cutting out sugar, yeast and malt makes a huge difference, but there's no alternative to trial and error mixed with a little intuition when it comes to tracking down the culprit. :(

Good luck. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Rogersmom

Roger had a fungal and skin scraping done and both came back negative. He has walked on the garage floor. I changed my laundry soap to one with out fragarence and do not use fabric sofener on anything that comes in contact with him. Hi most recent outbreak was after going to a flea market. I was thinking that perhaps they had sprayed chemicals on the the ground for weed control. I did forget that right before Roger started licking his feet I had someone treat the hedge around the yard for poison ivy. They used Roundup. I have also changed Roger's diet to a limited, grain free, allergy formula. I can not tell if sugar is in it as I through the bag away. The treat version contains molasses. I was making Roger's food and he was getting a large variety of things. My vet is now suggesting allergy testing. I guess I would like to know what he is allergic to so I can avoid it. He also now has an anal gland infection and is on antibiotics for that.

... I have also changed Roger's diet to a limited, grain free, allergy formula. I can not tell if sugar is in it as I through the bag away. ...

Many companies list ingredients on-line at their web sites. You might be able to check ingredients there.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Roger had a fungal and skin scraping done and both came back negative. He has walked on the garage floor. I changed my laundry soap to one with out fragarence and do not use fabric sofener on anything that comes in contact with him. Hi most recent outbreak was after going to a flea market. I was thinking that perhaps they had sprayed chemicals on the the ground for weed control. I did forget that right before Roger started licking his feet I had someone treat the hedge around the yard for poison ivy. They used Roundup. I have also changed Roger's diet to a limited, grain free, allergy formula. I can not tell if sugar is in it as I through the bag away. The treat version contains molasses. I was making Roger's food and he was getting a large variety of things. My vet is now suggesting allergy testing. I guess I would like to know what he is allergic to so I can avoid it. He also now has an anal gland infection and is on antibiotics for that.

I would also check your laundry soap for enzymes - they will often cause skin damage in sensitive individuals. You may have to ask the manufacturers if it's not listed on the bottle.

Untreated concrete can still be quite active many years after being laid. The dust is irritant and can burn sensitive skin - and as you know, once a dog starts licking ... :(

It would be worth following up on the food ingredients re sugar - it's a fairly simple thing to cut out of his diet if it should prove to be that, and after all, it's not something dogs need!

As to the Round-up .. that could be bad news. The first contact (in your yard) could have sensitised him and as I understand it, local authorities in the US use it a lot for pavement, sidewalks and general weed suppression. The active ingredient is toxic and can kill a dog, but apparently one of the added chemicals - a surfactant called polyethoxylated tallowamine (POEA) - is almost as bad. I'm not a chemist, but as I understand it, it can cause all kinds of problems including skin reactions. It will kill your pond life too.

I see Roger's feet are bandaged at home. Do you put boots on him for walks? It might be worth considering, to eliminate the 'contact with nameless chemicals' possibility.

Guest Rogersmom

I put the socks on Roger in the house to prevent his licking his feet. I have not put boots on him for a walk. I have stopped his walks except for when I took him to the out door market last Tuesday. The concrete in my garage is from 1969 when the house was built so I doubt that is an issue.

We are off to the vet's right now. Will let you all know what happens next.

Ya Gotta Love a Puppy. I forgot to take a stool specimen when we went for his shots. I was trying to get one to take today. Roger jumped all over me in the backyard. He always thinks it is play time. Now I have mud on me and no time to change before leaving.

For walking outside: Have you seen these DISPOSABLE booties... "Nooby's Disposable Booties" they look like the covers you'd put on your shoes in a hospital, or at an open house to keep the carpets clean. They have a simple little elastic band, you'd probably have to enforce it with the velcro band,, but these booties are CHEAP! and waterproof, non-skid and throw away!

i got them at a funky discount store, so I'm not sure where you will find them

Good Luck!

eta,,, spelling

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Rogersmom
For walking outside: Have you seen these DISPOSABLE booties... "Nooby's Disposable Booties" they look like the covers you'd put on your shoes in a hospital, or at an open house to keep the carpets clean. They have a simple little elastic band, you'd probably have to enforce it with the velcro band,, but these booties are CHEAP! and waterproof, non-skid and throw away!

Good Luck!

eta,,, spelling

Are they strudy enough so that the toe nails do not poke through? I saw some at Cutter's Mill that did not look any heavier than a surgeon's rubber gloves.

I do have some boots from our previous dog. They are heavy rubber. Roger's legs are so skinny that the boots can not be tightened enough to stay on.

Guest Rogersmom
Just checking in to see how the appt went

The vet thought Roger's feet looked better. I was going to go for the allergy testing and hope to pay the vet out. Turns out Roger would have to be off all antihistimines and steriods for three weeks to do the testing. I feel that in three weeks, Roger would have chewed his feet off with out being on any medicatioins. My vet suggested that we wait until it snows.

I spent some time with Roger in the backyard today and saw him eating scrubs. He was eating leaves off of the privett hedge and eating some other plants that had been killed by the frost.. So, who knows what he is allergic to.

The main purpose of the visit today was to give him his pravo shot so that he could get another shot of Vetalog December 1. Ya Gotta Love a Puppy.

Roger must be feeling better as he is getting back to his old mouthy stuff.

Good Luck!

eta,,, spelling

Are they strudy enough so that the toe nails do not poke through? I saw some at Cutter's Mill that did not look any heavier than a surgeon's rubber gloves.

I do have some boots from our previous dog. They are heavy rubber. Roger's legs are so skinny that the boots can not be tightened enough to stay on.

They are sturdy enough so toe-nails don't poke thru. For WALKING.. i don't know about romping in the yard tho. these are more "cloth" like. that are water resist/tear resistant. You will definitely need the extra velcro to keep them on. oh, i'm going to try to post a picture for you ~~~ hold on ~~ putting picture of booties in C&F

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Rogersmom
Well, I've never said a prayer for snow before, but there's always a first!

I am not crazy about snow either but maybe this year I will wish for one good snow and soon.

Why would you not try one of the allergy foods with him, such as HA or ZD?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Rogersmom

I was giving Roger Natural Balance Limited ingredient, grain free allergy formula sweet potato and fish formula. We discovered a new vet today.

I took Roger to a different Vet today. I really was not planning to but I needed to purchase some more hypoallergenic treats for him. I noticed a new pet shop and stopped in to check it out. It turns out it is a vet center and pet supply place. The cost of the treats there are half what I paid for them at other stores. The sales person asked me why I was purchasing the treats and told me that they had an introductory free visit with the vet and that their vet had worked in a canine dermatology practise. Lucky us, there was an open appointment so Roger got a free visit that only cost me $105.05. The vet wanted to put Roger in a special diet for eight weeks and a program of shampoo and spray. He said if that did not make a difference he would refer us to the dermatologist. He also checked Rogers anal glands and said that one of them was still inflamed and difficult to express. He also preferred a different antibiotic than the one Roger was on.

So, now we are feeding Royal Canin Hypoallergenic HP and shampooing with Douxo Calm Shampoo and Douxo Calm Micro-emulsion Spray. There is a routine to follow of shampooing and spraying for the next three weeks. This new vet thinks Roger's problem is a food allergy. The ingredients in the food would not pass muster for the "how to rate your dogs food". The first ingredient is rice. Soy is the second ingredient. He claims that the protein in the is changed so that the body does not recognize it. Oh well, I have tried a lot of things, this does not seem so difficult and will not cause diabetes over the long run like steriod shots may. Roger had not eaten much over the past three days. He seemed to like the new food and ate a full days amount in one sitting.

Poor puppy is not allowed to have any treats except for the ones that go with this new food. The store was out of them and we have to wait until tomorrow. I had to give Roger apple instead of cookies. I think he was disappointed.

You could give him pieces of his new kibble :) . That would be better than giving him treats, unless they're also the special protein.

The prescription hypoallergenic foods *are* different. The protein is preprocessed so as to reduce allergenic response.

Hope this regimen helps you get to the bottom of his problem.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Don't discount the effect Roger's nibbling leaves could have on his overall health. Even if he doesn't eat much of anything, it could still affect him and cause odd symptoms. I think you should let your vet know that he is eating plants, including privet (which is toxic to dogs, by the way).

I hope the new vet can help him. It's so frustrating isn't it? Skin issues can be the worst to diagnose.

Guest Rogersmom
You could give him pieces of his new kibble :) . That would be better than giving him treats, unless they're also the special protein.

The prescription hypoallergenic foods *are* different. The protein is preprocessed so as to reduce allergenic response.

Hope this regimen helps you get to the bottom of his problem.

Thanks. We got the treats that match his kibble and canned food that matches to give him his meds. I was using peanut butter and checked with the vet about it. He was upset and told me only to feed Roger the special food or any fruits or vegetable he would eat with the know exception. Roger seemed to lick his feet less today but he started rubbing his head on my bed. It is raining today. Roger's symptoms always seem worse on rainy days.

It is raining today. Roger's symptoms always seem worse on rainy days.

Interesting. That might fit with him walking in something.

Gosh, who knows? These things are so difficult to figure out, and I'm not an allergist - only lifelong personal experience with the darned things. :lol

Henry has this problem.... His feet definately get worse when the grass is wet!!....

We did everything...changing food, bedding, cleaners, air freshners...vets, allergerist...

I figured out it was grass related by being consistent with his booties...Within days of wearing them you could see he wasn't chewing them and the bloodly red knuckles were improving...But the booties HAD to be 100% waterproof..the only ones I could find are these kind

http://www.petco.com/product/6031/Paw-Tect...r:referralID=NA

I was told it was ragweed pollen or mold spores.

Edited by BrentsMom

Guest Rogersmom
Henry has this problem.... His feet definately get worse when the grass is wet!!....

We did everything...changing food, bedding, cleaners, air freshners...vets, allergerist...

I figured out it was grass related by being consistent with his booties...Within days of wearing them you could see he wasn't chewing them and the bloodly red knuckles were improving...But the booties HAD to be 100% waterproof..the only ones I could find are these kind

http://www.petco.com/product/6031/Paw-Tect...r:referralID=NA

I was told it was ragweed pollen or mold spores.

I do have a set of these. Roger can not keep them on. I could not pull them in tight enough to stay on his skinny legs. I do not have any rag weed in my yard but I guess the pollen could blow from somewhere else.

I noticed today that the neighbor behind us had someone spreading something on his yard. I know that the neighbor's brother is a landscaper and cares for the property. I sure hope what they are speading on their yard is not what is affecting my puppy.

Roger seems better today about his feet but he is still licking his but a lot.