Roger Is Licking His Feet Until They Bleed

Guest Rogersmom

Guest Rogersmom
Don't discount the effect Roger's nibbling leaves could have on his overall health. Even if he doesn't eat much of anything, it could still affect him and cause odd symptoms. I think you should let your vet know that he is eating plants, including privet (which is toxic to dogs, by the way).

I hope the new vet can help him. It's so frustrating isn't it? Skin issues can be the worst to diagnose.

I have never had this problem with any pet before. All I know is I have been working on this since early August and have devoted a lot of time and money to a problem which does not seem to be getting much better.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a set of these. Roger can not keep them on. I could not pull them in tight enough to stay on his skinny legs. I do not have any rag weed in my yard but I guess the pollen could blow from somewhere else.

They are difficult at first because they are so stiff!!!...try folding the excess bootie then using the velco around and around....(I'll try to take a picture) I did an experiment with them at first...only putting the booties on his front feet..when I noticed the front were getting better I KNEW I was getting close to an answer...

Just a litle info...ragweed pollen season runs from August to November...it can also linger around in old dead leaves...

I feel your and Rogers pain.....it's horrible, I know!!!

Guest Rogersmom
I do have a set of these. Roger can not keep them on. I could not pull them in tight enough to stay on his skinny legs. I do not have any rag weed in my yard but I guess the pollen could blow from somewhere else.

They are difficult at first because they are so stiff!!!...try folding the excess bootie then using the velco around and around....(I'll try to take a picture) I did an experiment with them at first...only putting the booties on his front feet..when I noticed the front were getting better I KNEW I was getting close to an answer...

Just a litle info...ragweed pollen season runs from August to November...it can also linger around in old dead leaves...

I feel your and Rogers pain.....it's horrible, I know!!!

Two different vets with two different opinions. One thinks the problem is seasonal allergies, the other thinks it is a food allergy.

I had purchased the boots at Pet Smart for our Rhodesian Ridgeback and never used them. At PetSmart they are around $40.00. You website is much cheaper. I did purchase a different style for Roger at an outdoor market. I have not tried them yet.

Thanks for you tips.

Have you tried Pawz booties? http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/gem_store/petsafety.htm These things are the bomb for keeping feet dry etc. I prefer the Large, even for little Zema.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Rogersmom
Have you tried Pawz booties? http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/gem_store/petsafety.htm These things are the bomb for keeping feet dry etc. I prefer the Large, even for little Zema.

Thanks. The prices look good. There are also some other things of interest at the site.

Hi, just checking in to see how Roger and you are doing. Hang in there!

Thinking of you

Kristyn

We are hopeful that the new vet will be the cure.

Roger eats far more of the new food that of his other food. He still goes a long time betwee meals and then eats like there is no tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rogersmom

We have been going to a new vet who has Roger on a restricted dietl He is eating Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Kibble, canned food, and treats. He is to eat this only for eight weeks. He is also on a course of prednisone, Douxo Calming Shampoo and Spray. Through all of this, he has developed infected anal glands and is taking Clavamox for that. We had a check up at the vet's yesterday (yes, he does have Sunday hours) and the anal glands seemed better. Roger's feet do not seem red anymore. I am not sure how much of his food he actually eats. I thought that by putting his food dish on my bed, Magic would not get it. I thought Magic had learned he was not to go on the sofa or livingroom chair. I discovered today that Magic was getting on the chair and sofa. I also discovered him standing on my bed and eating Roger's food. I do not know how I can feed Roger with Magic around. Roger is not one to eat his food as soon as he gets it. If I take it away after a certain period of time, he will not eat at all. If I leave it around for him to eat when he feels like it, Magic eats it. I can not keep Magic crated during the day when we are not home as that is not fair to him. Oh well, what to do? At least Roger seems to be getting better. I just can not keep buying $55/18 lb bags of food to have Magic snack on it.

Guest Rogersmom

I just got a 37 pound bag, with the tax, it was $87. It looks like Roger is eating a little more than a pound day. New problem, Roger may be having seizures. He was lying on my bed on his side. He started air snapping, rising his head and shoulders off the bed, barking, and shaking violently. He really frightened me. I put his muzzle on him, swaddled him in a blanket, petted him, and spoke soothingly to him until he fell asleep. The is a posiblity that this was a flycather seizure. If it happens again, I am to clap my hands and call him. If he does not respond, this indicates it was a seizure and not Roger having a dream. Seriously, all of this is overwhelming. I am going to follow through with the new vet and his eight week routine. If there is no change, I will go to see Dr. Cobb in NJ who is a holistic vet. At this point, I can not afford anything more. The food and the vet bills have exhausted my funds to the point that there is nothing left over after covering the necessary bills. There is never enough money this time of the year and on top of that, all of my professional dues and insurancesw are due. Pray for health for Roger and a reliable source as sufficient income for his mother.

Best wishes,

Liz and Roger

Guest LindsaySF

:grouphug:grouphug

I would use babygates or an ex-pen to keep the dogs separated when you aren't home. Both to prevent Magic from eating Roger's expensive food, and just in case Roger has a seizure.

If it happens again, I am to clap my hands and call him. If he does not respond, this indicates it was a seizure and not Roger having a dream.

It is my understanding if you can clap your hands and he comes out of it, it is not a seizure. I used to do that with a Dobe. I've had a grey do it too.

Does the new food make a canned version? If so, can you get a can and try putting a couple of tablespoons in the food to see if he'll eat? Reading your post, I see they do and have you? If so and he still won't eat, have you tried the canned only?

I just went & looked at the ingredients. No way I would feed soy.

My holistic vet insists processed kibble is a no no for allergy prone dogs. She has been trying to get me to cook for Isaac :) For the cost of what you are spending, you could cook and it would be cheaper.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Rogersmom
:grouphug:grouphug

I would use babygates or an ex-pen to keep the dogs separated when you aren't home. Both to prevent Magic from eating Roger's expensive food, and just in case Roger has a seizure.

I could do that but then one of them would not have access to the back yard and the other to the house. This could cause furniture damage. I do have several baby gates. I also have a crate. Magic, being a retired racer, does not seem to mind being in the crate. He will start to bark as soon as anyone comes home as if to say "Hey! I'm in here. Let me out!"

Thank you for your reply.

Edited by Rogersmom

Ditto this Liz, I have heard several vets including my own that say no to soy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My holistic vet insists processed kibble is a no no for allergy prone dogs.

It's one of the hydrolyzed protein foods -- proteins processed so they aren't recognizable as allergens. No way to do that with a homecooked diet. :) The best alternative to feeding an h.p. food is to feed a single protein (and NOTHING else -- no carbs, no supplements, no snacks, NOTHING) as the food trial; this'll work if you happen to pick a protein that the dog is not allergic to. Works well and is reasonable in $ if your dog is not allergic to something like beef or pork, which have a reasonable amount of fat; not so well and lots more $$$ if your trial protein is something like fish which has so few calories.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Rogersmom
If it happens again, I am to clap my hands and call him. If he does not respond, this indicates it was a seizure and not Roger having a dream.

It is my understanding if you can clap your hands and he comes out of it, it is not a seizure. I used to do that with a Dobe. I've had a grey do it too.

Does the new food make a canned version? If so, can you get a can and try putting a couple of tablespoons in the food to see if he'll eat? Reading your post, I see they do and have you? If so and he still won't eat, have you tried the canned only?

My holistic vet insists processed kibble is a no no for allergy prone dogs. She has been trying to get me to cook for Isaac :) For the cost of what you are spending, you could cook and it would be cheaper.

I was cooking for Roger. I made him "canned food", dry kibble, and a breakfast meal. My original vet felt that I was giving him too many different foods and that he was allergic to one of the ingredients. Roger's breakfast treat was scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, diced canned peaches, and cubed cooked potatoes. I was makaing his kibble out of ground turkey, wheat germ, powdered milk, whole wheat flour, white flour, safflower oil, egg, water, and yeast. I put it in my pasta maker and mixed it up then extruded it using the pretzel die. I would make long strip and bake them in the oven. I then broke them into bite size pieces. His "canned food" was cooked either chicken liver, whole chicken (bones and all), or turkey blended with brown rice. I would cook whole chicken in my pressure cooker for one hour, let it cool naturally, and then put it in my food processor and puree it with cooked brown rice. I also made Roger's cookies which used canned baby food, powered milk, wheat germ, whole wheat flour.

At first the vet thought he was allergic to wheat so I froze all the food I had and made new using alternate flours such as brown rice, garbonzo bean, tapioca, and eliminating the wheat germ. They then thought he was allergic to chicken so I froze all of this and started over with turkey. The turkey also go frozen. I now have a freezer full of food that Roger can not eat which cost me a lot of time and money. I hate giving him commerically prepared food. His hair around his mouth is starting to turn red from the food. I am not convinced that there is no coloring added to the food.

I too had heard not to feed the dog soy though I do not know why. Soy is not on the ASPCA's list of foods not to feed a dog so what is the problem with soy? Soy is in this special food and also in the calming shampoo and spray.

I got to run. Busy day today. You may email me at eronky@verizon.net is you like. Thank you for your reply.

Best wishes,

Liz and Roger

My holistic vet insists processed kibble is a no no for allergy prone dogs.

It's one of the hydrolyzed protein foods -- proteins processed so they aren't recognizable as allergens. No way to do that with a homecooked diet. :) The best alternative to feeding an h.p. food is to feed a single protein (and NOTHING else -- no carbs, no supplements, no snacks, NOTHING) as the food trial; this'll work if you happen to pick a protein that the dog is not allergic to. Works well and is reasonable in $ if your dog is not allergic to something like beef or pork, which have a reasonable amount of fat; not so well and lots more $$$ if your trial protein is something like fish which has so few calories.

Ropger has started to shake since I put him on this restricted diet. I wonder if it has enough vitamins for him. When I was cooking for him I gave him vitamins just to make sure he got what he needed.

Ya Gotta Love a Puppy but this love is causing me great concern. Thank you for your reply.

Ropger has started to shake since I put him on this restricted diet. I wonder if it has enough vitamins for him.

Have you mentioned this to your vet?

The food will have enough vitamins, but it might be low in calories. Has he lost any weight?

Guest Rogersmom
Ropger has started to shake since I put him on this restricted diet. I wonder if it has enough vitamins for him.

Have you mentioned this to your vet?

The food will have enough vitamins, but it might be low in calories. Has he lost any weight?

He has not lost weight but he seems to eat more when he decides to eat. Around 1030 PM he seems to not be able to eat enough. He just keeps eating and eating and patting me on the shoulder for cookies.

No advice. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking good thoughts for you and Roger. :grouphug

Thanks. We appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rogersmom

got Roger tested for allergies. The new vet takes credit cards and I managed to get an American Express card. The new vet only charged $250 for the allergy tests. The results are that he never saw a dog with so many allergies. The ratings were 0-149 for negative, 150-199 for borderline, and 200-399 for positive. Roger did not score lower than 110 for any of the things tested for. Roger is allergic to:

Grasses

Bluegrass/June Grass

Fesuc

Bermuda (borderline)

Redtop

Regrass

Weeds

Ragweed (borderline(

Cocklebur

Docksheep Sorrel

Sage

Saltbush/Scale mix

Trees

Cottonwood/Aspen

Oak

Elm

Walnut (borderline)

Sycamore

Fungi

Aspergillus

Smut Mix

Pullularia

Fusarium (borderline)

Nigrospora

He is not allergic to an epidermals

House Dust

Housedusst/mites

Foods

Poultry Mix (chicken, turkey)

Eggs

Soybean (borderline)

CornWhite potatoe

Fish Mix (catfish, cod, herring, mackeral, white fish)

Indoor

Kapok

Pyrethrum

Insects

Cockroach (borderline)

So, all the foods that people were advising me to feed Roger, he was actually allergic to. He as eating Royal Canin HP which had chicken and soy in it. The foods I was feeding Roger only contained the white potato and eggs that he was allergic to. I was also feeding him turkey and chicken. I was giving him salmon oil for his dry skin. So, poor Roger. Now I am looking for someone who might like to donate some venison for him. Venison is the meat that he scored the lowest on. I am now feeding Roger California Natural Lamb and Rice and adding cooked ground beef and rice to it to make it more interesting. Roger has strange eating habbits. He could skip eating for a day or two and then eat as if there was no tomorrow. It is hard to leave the food down for him as Magic is very into food and will come and vacuum it up.

We are going to the vet's again on Monday. He is checking into allergy shots for Roger. Given that Roger is allergic to grass, trees, mold and mildew, dust, and cockroaches, it seems it would be impossible to avoid what he is allergic to. We do not have cockroaches but I have read that it is possible for pieces to be in commercially prepared food.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live each day as if it were your last. One of these days you will be right.

Liz and Roger

« Page 6 of 6 Jump to page Go

What about a hydrolized diet? Z/d is the only food that is 100% hydrolized. It's a pre digested protein.

That might just work for him.

My Beau is a very sick dog with severe IBD and he is on pred and imuran to keep him from flaring. He did OK with the Royal Canin HP with higher levels of pred, but as soon as we dropped the pred, he started to flare as HP is not a hydrolized food.

In any case, I hope the HP works for Roger. It's suppossedly more palatable for them. If he starts to react from that, go to the Hills Science Diet, Z/D ULTRA. That's the one that's hydrolized.

I sympathize with you and for Roger.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mountain4greys
:jaw Wow! That sure is a lot of things. Poor Roger. I hope they can give him allergy shots to keep all the things he's allergic to in check.

Ah, now you have a starting point!

As you've surmised, you might end up cooking for him. Trying to find a food with no fish/fish oil is hard in itself; add a few other things and aieeeeeeeeeeee!

Two of my dogs eat the California Natural Lamb, they love it without any additives, coats are great and they have nice firm poop. Bella who I got at 12 weeks old (will be three this year) has been on lamb since a pup, tried once to switch her to a chicken based food but it did not agree with her.

good luck with Roger

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

Guest TheUnrulyHound

WOW, I have just read thru all the pages of this thread and I am so sorry that it has been this hard to find out what was wrong.

I am having the same problem with my Stepper who chews and licks his feet. They are red and inflamed and have no fur in places at this point. I was waiting (per my vets recommendation) for cooler dry weather and a freeze to see if it cleared on its own. Nothing has changed even though we have had snow and ice recently. His feet are exactly the same. I am thinking I will be going thru the same things that you have. I have tried the genesis spray and it doesn't seem to help, I rinse his feet when he comes in but the moisture seems to make it worse. he is on 50 mgs of benadryl twice daily. I have tried what Burpdogs suggested about keeping the grass extra short, no help. I am now going to start changing his food. I feed Iams large breed and need to go see what the ingredients are and I think I will start excluding fish oil and chicken, poultry, corn, soy, wheat and eggs. So I guess I need a trip to the store.... the hardest thing will be not being able to give him treats with the rest of my hounds :( I think I would rather just not give ANYONE treats than exclude Stepper

Anyhow, I hope that whatever your vet is recommending now that they have discovered all his allergies is making him feel better. He is a beautiful boy! Good luck to you and him :)