Crisco Roo - 1/4/96 To 9/28/09

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

To the bestest Roo that anyone ever knew:

I didn’t know what to say to you today, in what I knew were your final hours. In the past 7 years, I’ve already told you everything. We knew each other. I wasn’t worried about whether you knew I loved you – although I told you that over and over today. We understood each other, and I know that you knew it.

I loved you more than anyone in the world. I knew you better. You knew me better. I could read the look in your eye and tell what you were thinking. And at the same time, you were more “canine” to me than any of the others. You didn’t hesitate to bare your teeth, snap or chase. It was a reminder of how amazing a thing it is to have this bond with an animal, one that could have chosen to bite me, but instead chose to love me. Somehow we were the same.

I miss you like a part of my own body. Truly like a section of my heart is gone, and it is only half beating now. You were everything to me.

All along we’ve been best friends, but in these past sad months you have been the reason I get out of bed in the morning. You’ve been my security blanket at times, my foundation at others. I go to you and draw an unlimited supply of comfort. Just by you being you.

Last night, in the dark, you looked at me and you told me that you were done. And however much I wanted you here with me, I had to let you go. I wish with my whole heart that I could have made you young and well again. It seems impossible to me that anyone so loved could ever die. That there is no magic healing in it. I know you understand that if I could have taken the sickness from you, I would have done it joyfully.

I remember the day I came to get you from Carl’s. You were in a wire x-pen, and you put your feet up on the sides to get to me. You used to jump up to give hugs, put your feet on our shoulders and lick our faces.

I’m sorry that I was such an idiot when you first came, and tried to make you sleep in a kennel. I was new at the whole dog thing. I thought people should sleep in beds, and dogs in kennels. You were patient with us and taught us the right way. What will I do with the ocean of empty space in our bed now? Without being able to put my face in the top of your head, where I’ve always said it smelled like sleeping.

There was nothing better than to wake in the night with the back of your paw in my face, to look over and see you sprawled on your back, belly up, legs going everywhere. So peaceful. I would reach over and pat your belly, grateful to see you so comfortable and happy.

It became Your Bed, and we were lucky that you let us sleep in it with you. Especially your daddy. It made me laugh every night when you scolded him for getting in, but then snuggled up to him once he was there.

Who will I share snacks with now? I’m in the habit of giving you everything you ask for, never finishing my own cookie, never going to the kitchen and making myself a meal without making you a little something too. Sometimes you would have crusty fur on your neck from sticking your head into a mixing bowl to lick out the batter.

Those things make you sound goofy, but you were regal. Your posture, the way you moved. I picture you coming into the kitchen to see what I’m up to, with your head held high, eyes bright, ears perked up and the tips flapping with each step. You had such a confident walk, always holding your tail high and wagging. I can hear the mmm-tsss sound of your walk, the one toe that cracked and the one foot that dragged a little, giving you your own little disco backbeat everywhere you went.

And I picture you lying on your bed at countless Meet n Greets, paws crossed in front of you, watching everything that went on with your intelligent eyes. Someone would stop to pet you and you would graciously let them, holding your chin high and half-closing your eyes. You rode at the head of the parade float on your soft bed, wearing your crown like any deserving king, and everyone adored you.

MNGR exists because of you. The number of dogs that have homes because of you, both here and in Atlanta, is probably in the hundreds. You have changed all their lives, and especially changed mine.

I hope you have forgotten all the hard times that came before. That all you can recall is being safe and loved in this forever family.

I wish I could think of words to describe you, words that would help me remember all the nuances of your being. But there are no words. I can only hold tightly to each memory of you.

You’ve been my best friend, my equal in all things, my support, my joy. There could never be another anything like you. My heart is bursting with gratitude that I got to have you in my life for 7 years. That has to be enough for my lifetime.

You were my Cris, my Crisco Roo, my Rooey, my Crispy Crème donut, my Butterbean, my Snickerdoodle, my Roo Bear, and so many more. I love you. My heart is broken.

3964249838_f6b07d669c.jpg

3964249828_28747b3d1f.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lotsahounds

My heart breaks for you Jen at this very sad time. I'm so so sorry that Crisco had to leave now but you will see him again. Run free Crisco! You were loved and will be remembered by all who knew you.

Guest PhillyPups

I am so very very sorry and feel the depth of your pain. What a beautiful tribute to an awesome being that blessed you with his presence. :bighug

Run with the angels CriscoRoo you are with some of the very, very best ~

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful boy....I am sorry he had to leave you.

Run free Cisco, run free... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

That was one of the most beautiful and touching things I have ever read in my life. I am sitting here, tears running down my face, and my heart is breaking for you. :weep:brokenheart:weep:brokenheart

I am so sorry you had to let Crisco go :cry1 It is cristal clear, however, that the love you have for him in your heart transcends death, pain and suffering. He will always be with you, and you with him.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart and prayers are with you. Run free sweet Crisco Roo. :grouphugf_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 You have written a fine memorial to your handsome boy.

Godspeed Crisco.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest EMcElfresh

That has to be the most fitting and beautiful tribute I have ever read for anyone, man or beast. It is so clear to me how much you loved Crisco - I can only hope that when the time comes for my Gordon to part ways with me that I can make such a beautiful eulogy to his memory. All my love to you and Angel Crisco.

That is the most beautiful description of a relationship I think I have ever read in my life.

I am so sorry he had to leave. There must have been a very important job waiting that only he could do.

God speed handsome boy, knowing how very much you are loved and will be missed. Please continue to watch over those who love you. Help heal the hole in their hearts

:gh_run

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh, to have loved and be so loved - what a gift. That was one of the most touching and heartfelt tributes that I have ever read. May you find peace.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow