River - No Visible Lesions Confirmed!

Guest Annie

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI - I've been emailing with Dr. Couto today - so you should be able to reach him as well.

I know he's been out of town for 10 days, so he is in "catch up" mode and very busy.. but he's great, and will try to help you as soon as he can.

FL

FYI - I've been emailing with Dr. Couto today - so you should be able to reach him as well.

I know he's been out of town for 10 days, so he is in "catch up" mode and very busy.. but he's great, and will try to help you as soon as he can.

FL

Thank you for the heads up. River had a very bad night. Explosive diarrhea. :( I have stopped the Metacam.

I have him segregated now so that he has free access to the backyard and no one else can bump into him (we are up to 6 hounds here today). Luckily, he loves being off somewhere alone. I will check on him regularly and give him extra loving. I feel so badly for him! :cry1

FL, I sent the Xrays to greyosu@osu.edu. Is that the best email address, or is there another one I can ship them off to?

Thank you all so much for the support!

I have just spoken with one of Dr. Couto's assistants and he likely won't be able to look at River's Xrays until Monday. Because I mentioned to her that I was concerned about osteo, she told me that she didn't see any obvious lesions, but she still wants Dr. Couto to check them over to make sure.

Here is the picture of his carpus: River_s_wrist.jpg and the Xray: River_carpus_700.jpg

Waiting is the worst! But it's sounding promising Annie

It does sound promising, Claudia. My concern is that it is the very early stages of os and it isn't showing clearly yet. :( I don't know why, but I just have a bad feeling about this. :unsure

River is a pup who has never been lame in the 6 years we've been together and his wrist area really looks suspicious. I won't be doing a happy dance until the swelling has gone down and he is back to normal. OS is everyone's greatest nightmare, isn't it! :angryfire

At least the diarrhea has stopped and he is resting happily in a sunbeam. :colgate

Guest LeanneSchatz
Waiting is the worst! But it's sounding promising Annie

It does sound promising, Claudia. My concern is that it is the very early stages of os and it isn't showing clearly yet. :( I don't know why, but I just have a bad feeling about this. :unsure

River is a pup who has never been lame in the 6 years we've been together and his wrist area really looks suspicious. I won't be doing a happy dance until the swelling has gone down and he is back to normal. OS is everyone's greatest nightmare, isn't it! :angryfire

At least the diarrhea has stopped and he is resting happily in a sunbeam. :colgate

Glad he's at least feeling better for now. Waiting sucks! I will be thinking of River this weekend!

I'm sure no vet, but it doesn't look like the bone or boney stuff is sticking out at all. Maybe it's all soft-tissue! That's gonna be MY chant, anyway.

*Bumpy bump, go away, bother us no other day! You're just a bump we don't like at all, so be gone so River can chase his ball! :lol Bumpy bump, go away, bother us no other day! You're just a bump we don't like at all, so be gone so River can chase his ball! :lol Bumpy bump, go away, bother us no other day! You're just a bump we don't like at all, so be gone so River can chase his ball! :lol Bumpy bump, go away, bother us no other day! You're just a bump we don't like at all, so be gone so River can chase his ball! :lol *

Repeat as needed. :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I'm sure no vet, but it doesn't look like the bone or boney stuff is sticking out at all. Maybe it's all soft-tissue! That's gonna be MY chant, anyway.

*Bumpy bump, go away, bother us no other day! You're just a bump we don't like at all, so be gone so River can chase his ball! :lol Bumpy bump, go away, bother us no other day! You're just a bump we don't like at all, so be gone so River can chase his ball! :lol Bumpy bump, go away, bother us no other day! You're just a bump we don't like at all, so be gone so River can chase his ball! :lol Bumpy bump, go away, bother us no other day! You're just a bump we don't like at all, so be gone so River can chase his ball! :lol *

Repeat as needed. :D

Thanks Xan!!! :lol

Other than the Big D - I'm glad he's feeling better today. (and that Dr. Couto's staff got back to you). I know you've been reluctant to try the Tramadol because it makes some greys "out of it" - but my guys seem to handle it quite well. Don't feel like it's a fail before you even try it.

Oh, and one of the possible side effects on normal dogs is constipation .. in my hounds it gives them firm poops! LOL (I love that side effect).

I've got my fingers and toes crossed that River continues to improve, and Dr. Couto comes back with good news for you on Monday.

FL

Gogh kept right on going with 5 Tramadols a day. He was off his food for about a day, had a good poop & was fine except for the pain of the leg.

Edited by Heehoo

Lewis didn't do well on Metacam either...we switched him to Meloxicam and that worked better for him. I wish I could read xrays! Waiting is the worst part but we'll be keeping River in our prayers.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I love Xan's chants - I am joining in. Hoping it is just a soft tissue something that is easily healed. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Dr Couto just returned from England last night, he sent me an email yesterday afternoon from DC while he was enroute. I expect he isn't even in to the clinic until Monday morning, and if they aren't seeing an obvious it isn't urgent. That needs an expert for sure, but I don't see any obvious signs. THAT is a good thing even though it is tough to wait.

The bone doesn't seem to match the amount it sticks out, very odd.

I love Xan's chants - I am joining in. Hoping it is just a soft tissue something that is easily healed. :grouphug

Love Xan's chants too. :D

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Dr Couto just returned from England last night, he sent me an email yesterday afternoon from DC while he was enroute. I expect he isn't even in to the clinic until Monday morning, and if they aren't seeing an obvious it isn't urgent. That needs an expert for sure, but I don't see any obvious signs. THAT is a good thing even though it is tough to wait.

The bone doesn't seem to match the amount it sticks out, very odd.

Love Xan's chants too. :D

I haven't read the whole thread, just saw the xrays and wanted to comment, so, please ignore me if any of this stuff has been discussed already :blush

I was thinking the same about the xray :huh

I'm certainly no expert but if he were my boy, I'd be tempted to wrap that leg up in some big thick cotton and vetrap and hope the swelling would go down a bit with that kind of a restriction and some kind of anti-inflammatory.

I would also ice it for a couple of minutes several times a day if it's unwrapped.

Hope you get some answers soon :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Who was the "assistant" that you spoke to? Dr. Lili Marin and Dr. Sara Zaldivar have been working for Dr. Couto for a long time. I would think they would be excellent at detecting osteo on xrays. If it was one of them, definitely rest easy. He has a new resident, Dr. Urie. I don't know how much experience she has with osteo. If you talked with a vet tech or vet student, then they would have checked with one of the vets before making any comments to you.

Hope this info helps. They are an excellent team.

Jane

Who was the "assistant" that you spoke to? Dr. Lili Marin and Dr. Sara Zaldivar have been working for Dr. Couto for a long time. I would think they would be excellent at detecting osteo on xrays. If it was one of them, definitely rest easy. He has a new resident, Dr. Urie. I don't know how much experience she has with osteo. If you talked with a vet tech or vet student, then they would have checked with one of the vets before making any comments to you.

Hope this info helps. They are an excellent team.

Jane

I didn't catch her name, I'm afraid... she had a very strong accent and I was straining to understand her. :blush I caught the most important part though... that she hadn't seen any obvious lesions. ;)

I agree with what you're saying about the shape of the swelling not matching the bone in the Xray. Maybe that's a good sign??? I pray it is!!!!!

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for the out pour of good wishes for my River. He is in really good spirits tonight... ate his small dinner (being careful after the diarrhea), went for a short walk, and isn't lame. I could not wish for more right now!!! :colgate

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for the out pour of good wishes for my River. He is in really good spirits tonight... ate his small dinner (being careful after the diarrhea), went for a short walk, and isn't lame. I could not wish for more right now!!! ............then you won't mind if I wish for more, would you? I wish this will be resolved with a diagnosis of soft tissue trauma. Sending all of the most healing white light from the far reaches of the universe to River. Hugs to you. We're all here waiting with you. Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead