Outlaw Is Hurting... Day #38 Update 9/3 Am

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Yahhhh Oulaw!!!!!! I am so Happy to hear the Great update!!!!!! :yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Outlaw has had a very good day :) He did cry out a few times which is to be expected. His limp is not much better but his appetite has returned (not sure if it is because of the meatloaf or the fact that he isn't hurting as bad.... lets just say it is the meatloaf ;) ) He has only been back in my bedroom once today! So all day he has been with me in the livingroom, occasionally getting up for face rubs. I am looking at him now, laying on his side with his FULL belly hanging out!!! It is fantastic! He ate all his dinner in one sitting! He has not done that since he got hurt :blush I am so excited for my sweet boy!

He is so far tolerating the lowering of the pred dose so we will continue to gradually decrease the doseage over the next week and a half and see how he responds. He may still need to be on a low dose but that is better than the large amount he was on.

Thanks so much for all your support and good thoughts and prayers, you have all really helped him thru! :kiss2

Guest wolfieskitten

I'm so glad to hear that Outlaw is doing better!!! :yay

You might find that the Neurontin can cause peripheral edema (in his legs), and he may hold his pee a lot longer than normal as it interferes with the ability to tell if one's bladder is full...conversely it can also make you feel like you gotta pee all the time - sort of like having a UTI does.

I've been taking it on and off for years. Tried it for my back pain, doesn't work too well, however it's a fantastic migraine preventive (for me) so I take it daily. It can make you hungrier than normal, cause weight gain because of fluid retention, and make you forgetful...though in a greyhound that probably doesn't matter lol.

Anywho, just wanted to let you know about the edema and appetite increasing and bladder function stuff, which you can find if you just google the name of it. Also, if cost is prohibitive, www.drugstore.com used to carry it much, much cheaper than the pharmacies did...in 2005 I was paying around $7 per 800mg pill at Wal Mart Pharmacy and $1 per 800mg pill at drugstore.com.

Again, I'm so glad to hear about Outlaw doing better. It makes me smile and I surely needed something to smile about today. Give the big boy a kiss for me.

PS it can also cause a big of loose stool/diarrhea

Edited by wolfieskitten

So glad your handsome boy is doing better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

How is the Handsome Mr.Outlaw this morning??

Sitting here realizing why he is named Outlaw - he came in and stole so many hearts :wub:

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Good morning every one :beatheart thankyou for keeping Outlaw in your thoughts. He ate all his breakfast this morning and took his pills like a champ! Last night I saw a bit of his old attitude emerge, I gave him his nuerontin in a big wad of cheese and Smiley came over to investigate what was going on. He made the mistake of sniffing too close to Outlaws mouth and Outlaw let out a big growl and a loud BARK!!!!! Smiley (untouched, Outlaw is just noisy) hightailed it outta there and Outlaw had the BIGGEST smile on his face!!!! He looked so pleased with himself that I couldn't help but laugh with him!! It was like he was saying "That liddle wippersnapper better respect his elders!"

Well he seems to be doing ok with the dosages he is on, in a few more days I will drop his pred dose down again. He seems to breathe kinda heavy and was panting a lot last night.... is that something from the drugs he is on? I know that panting is sometimes a sign of pain but he isn't crying out any more than he was a day or two ago.....

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Glad to hear Outlaw is improving. The nutritional yeast was priority mailed on Thursday.

Re: the panting. They may be the pred. For me, steroids feel like a big dose of caffeine.

Edited by MorganKonaAlex

Glad to hear Outlaw is improving. The nutritional yeast was priority mailed on Thursday.

Re: the panting. They may be the pred. For me, steroids feel like a big dose of caffeine.

I would guess the Pred is the culprit for the panting as well.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Kris, I actually just checked the mail and the yeast is here!!! I will start putting some on his food at dinner tonite! It does more than just get them to eat right? the B vitamins are good? Thanks so much again!

Guest MorganKonaAlex
Kris, I actually just checked the mail and the yeast is here!!! I will start putting some on his food at dinner tonite! It does more than just get them to eat right? the B vitamins are good? Thanks so much again!

The B vitamins are suppose to stimulate appetite too. Hopefully, Outlaw will like the taste.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I am glad to hear that the panting is not pain related, thanks again to all of you :) I figured he would still be crying out if he was in pain but the panting was worrying me. He is also a bit more drooly too

Guest 3greysinPA

hi Holly,

so glad to hear that every day he gets better and better...

that is greyt news...

i'm so happy for you guys...

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:bighug:bighug

Guest K9Cookies

Glad to hear that Outlaw is doing better. Did he eat with the yeast on his food? We used the yeast when Bonnie was having eating issues during her chemo. It really helped us. :goodluck