Outlaw Is Hurting... Day #38 Update 9/3 Am

Guest TheUnrulyHound

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outlaw

Maddie here

Keep drinking- it is Hooot down there in Texas. It is hot here in NC. Mommy likes it too when I drink water. Water is goods four us houndies. Keep it up. And tell Stepper and Cabby I said it was Okay for youz to rest youz head on one of the bunnees.

Wubs,

Maddie

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest 3greysinPA
OK, I lookd at the dose and it is 300mg of the nuerontin 3 times a day.

He just came into the kitchen all by himself to GET A DRINK OF WATER!!!!!!! :clap:confetti he has been totally disinterested in water for DAYS!!!!!!! Small steps.. but it is a wonderful thing to see when I have been trying to get him to drink for 15 days... I almost started crying :( I was sure to give him tons of praise and love after he was done though!!!!! :beatheart

:yay:yay Small Steps OUtlaw honey... take it easy... You are doing so GOOD and making your momma so happy :yay:yay:cookie and here's a cookie outlaw sweetie.... come on.... keep getting better... YOU can do it!! :beatheart:getwell:beatheart

and many hugs to you and your momma!!

:grouphug:grouphug

Sounds like he is slowly starting to improve :yay:yay I hope it continues! Do check into the acupuncture, it really does help (usually) for a lot of things, although it can take a few treatments to really show. I paid $65 a session for Sugar's, after the initial visit.

Guest HoustonGreys
OK, I lookd at the dose and it is 300mg of the nuerontin 3 times a day.

He just came into the kitchen all by himself to GET A DRINK OF WATER!!!!!!! :clap:confetti he has been totally disinterested in water for DAYS!!!!!!! Small steps.. but it is a wonderful thing to see when I have been trying to get him to drink for 15 days... I almost started crying :( I was sure to give him tons of praise and love after he was done though!!!!! :beatheart

:clap:clap:clap What a relief that he is drinking and getting some relief from the pain! I'm so glad he likes his pupcakes well enough to hide his pills! :colgate I'm sending BIG TEXAS PRAYERS for continued recovery and that BOTH of you will sleep very well tonight! :grouphug

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Outlaw ate about half his dinner and took another dose of nuerontin. He then went over to get another drink of water!!! :clap I know that sounds stupid for me to celebrate.... but it is such a relief. He is now able to lay down without screaming in pain most of the time. He still is limping badly but at least he seems to be in a lot less pain. I hope to begin to slowly reduce the amount of pred that he is on. I will probably talk to the vet tomorrow morning for the go ahead but I am certain that he will agree. Outlaw actually decided that sleeping on a bed in the livingroom was ok for about 20 minutes then returned to his (my) room again. I didn't hear him scream when he laid down then either!! I am so happy :)

Guest KyGrey
Outlaw ate about half his dinner and took another dose of nuerontin. He then went over to get another drink of water!!! :clap I know that sounds stupid for me to celebrate.... but it is such a relief. He is now able to lay down without screaming in pain most of the time. He still is limping badly but at least he seems to be in a lot less pain. I hope to begin to slowly reduce the amount of pred that he is on. I will probably talk to the vet tomorrow morning for the go ahead but I am certain that he will agree. Outlaw actually decided that sleeping on a bed in the livingroom was ok for about 20 minutes then returned to his (my) room again. I didn't hear him scream when he laid down then either!! I am so happy :)

:yay :yay :yay :yay

This is so great Holly, I am so happy for both of you.

As for your excitement being stupid.....NOT!

When Misty stopped eating I was running on empty. Batmom was helping right along and most of the news I was giving her was never good.

On a Sunday, Misty finally ate her first meal and I was so excited I had to call Batmom because I finally had good news for a change. I was watching Misty eat as I made that call and before I could even get that news out, I started to cry.

I know just how you felt when you saw Outlaw come for a drink on his own. That's big!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest 3greysinPA

holly

that is great news... i am so happy to read this... Yay Outlaw... Keep Going Sweetie...Get Well Outlaw.. :getwell

Holly, We have been praying for Outlaw and we are sooo Sorry that you are going through all this but I was happy to hear about the improvement today!!!!! Sending lots of prayers,hugs, and Bright light for more positive.... :kiss2:kiss2:grouphug:grouphug:bighug:getwell:hope:candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greyt2love

Holly, I'm just now reading this thread. I am so happy to hear that Outlaw is starting to eat and drink some on his own, and appears to be feeling better. I hope his improvement continues !

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Well Outlaw seemed to have had a good night, I do not remember him crying out at all :clap:confetti Hopefully he will eat a little better today than he did yesterday. I have a nice recipe for some "pupcakes" given by a dear friend ;) he really loves them and they have been great to give his pills in. I will be making more for him today. He gets the big wide eyed look when he gets to eat one, they are just so good!!!

If anyone has any good recipes for a more substantial dog food that you can make and bake at home I would love to hear about it, anything that I can add to his food to make him eat more. He has lost about 10 pounds and never had any weight to spare in the first place. He has had a lot of muscle wasting :(

In about an hour I will call the vet to see if I can start to gradually reduce the pred dose... more on that after I talk to him

Thankyou so much for all your thoughts and prayers for my sweet boy, I was really thinking we weren't going to get thru this. Though we still have a ways to go, I am so happy to see even the smallest improvements....

So glad your pup is feeling better!

Reposting the following from Food forum several months back:

Not a miracle recipe, but most dogs seem to enjoy this. I baked it like a meatloaf and used it as a protein supplement or canned food substitute until Batman got sick; then he had to have everything pureed so I cooked it on the stovetop and ran it through my Osterizer:

1 lb - 2 lbs chicken or turkey

1 lb ground beef - OK if it's quite fatty because you're cutting the fat with poultry

2-3 eggs with shells (1 egg for each pound meat)

1 cup frozen spinach

1/2 cup frozen peas (must be cooked and then pureed - for the fiber; firms stools)

2-3 tablespoons molasses (blackstrap is best - lots of potassium; also adds palatability)

2-3 teaspoons powdered kelp (optional - for trace minerals)

For the eggshells, I rinse them out and zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds, pat dry, zap again if they're still too damp, then powder them with mortar and pestle or coffee grinder (or just crush well with back of spoon).

If you're going to bake as meatloaf, thaw the spinach first but no need to drain.

If peas are not cooked and pureed, they'll just go through the dog whole. You can puree (= blend into mush) in an Osterizer (might have to add a little water), old-fashioned Foley food mill, Cuisinart, etc. For us, they work better than most anything else at providing fiber for good stools.

You can make it with all one kind of meat. If just chicken or turkey, it'll be pretty low-calorie, though. You can also add other things -- a minced carrot or apple, for example.

Cook on stovetop until meat is no longer pink or mix all together and bake like a people meatloaf.

If you're not feeding anything else, figure 1-1.5 lbs of meat per dog per day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The news is getting better :yay:yay

Holly, what about trying the Nutritional Yeast? That might really enhance Outlaw's appetite

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Holly, good to hear that Outlaw has started the day well - sending positive thoughts that the healing continues.

I know how gut wrenching this must be for you - just reading this thread now as I have been consumed by nursing duties at my house as well.

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com