Outlaw Is Hurting... Day #38 Update 9/3 Am

Guest TheUnrulyHound

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a first step Holly and it's a good first step.

Did the vet give you any idea how long he's going to have Outlaw on that dose of Pred?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TheUnrulyHound

No Claudia, he just said he would really like to (and needs to) reduce it when we can. I am hoping that if he shows good improvement with the nuerontin I can cut him back a little at a time.

Well he has cried out two times since I posted last but they have not been as heartbreaking and drawn out so I still take that as a tentative plus :)

I take neurontin. I didn't realize they give it to dogs too. I Hope it helps Outlaw. In people, neurontin takes a few weeks to reach full effect but after a few days it is in your system. (((prayers)))

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest 3greysinPA

hi Holly,

its now 10 pm here EST.. and i was just wondering how he was doing tonight... thinking of all of you and sending more prayers to TEXAS! :hope:hope:hope:hope

Guest TheUnrulyHound

He ate really well comparatively, he cries out when he lays down but not nearly with the length or intensity as he has been :) So I would say he is doing rather well, he will get his second dose of the nuerontin in an hour or so and we shall see if he has a good night. Last night was a hard one for him :(

Thanks for asking Kristin :kiss2

Guest 3greysinPA

oh Holly,

I'm just praying for him to be ok... and to pull thru this just fine... and for the medications to work for him....

C'mon Outlaw, fight this, be strong, we are all pulling for you and Your Mommy too.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I'm also on Neurontin. I was put on it originally for fibromyalgia pain, but it wasnt helping so i went to get off it and wasnt sleeping as well so i added it to my chronic fatigue syndrome cocktail and every time I've tried to get off of it my sleep has gotten worse. So hopefully it will help Outlaw sleep well too.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

He had a good night and didn't whine that I remember, but I was pretty out of it from not sleeping hardly at all on Sunday night. He woke me up this morning having a hard time getting comfy though, he was yelping a lot. Hopefully it was just morning stiffness, he ate a little (not enough for me to be happy) and went back to his (my) room. I did not hear him yelp when he went to lay down in there though :)

Hopefully you will see a little more improvement today, more tonight and then even more tomorrow.

He's always in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest MorganKonaAlex

What dose of Neurotin is he on? When Morgan's LS got really bad, his Neurotin was increased to 200mg x 2 a day. Another possibility is to add valium (diazepam). It will help relax the muscles.

Guest KyGrey

Hopefully you will start seeing major improvement. I know how hard it is when they are hurting or even uncomfortable and you just don't know what is going on.

I have something I am getting in the mail to you today. Let me know when you get it.

Guest vahoundlover
You know I am always so scared to change meds, I am scared he will hurt more on a different one, but this time we are just adding to what he is on already so it can only get better right? I hope we can get this new one to help enough that we can get him on a lower dose of pred. It is a very high doseage :( I have to take Smiley, my foster in tomorrow for his second round of heartworm treatment and I may swing by the acupuncture place and see what their prices and appointment times are.

If you have had acupuncture on your dog, what has been the average cost per visit?

IIRC Bossy's acupuncture appts started off at 125 then dropped to 100. Appt's were 45min to an hour. It sure wouldn't hurt Outlaw to try it.

Hopefully you will see a little more improvement today, more tonight and then even more tomorrow.

He's always in my prayers

:hope:hope

Guest TheUnrulyHound

OK, I lookd at the dose and it is 300mg of the nuerontin 3 times a day.

He just came into the kitchen all by himself to GET A DRINK OF WATER!!!!!!! :clap:confetti he has been totally disinterested in water for DAYS!!!!!!! Small steps.. but it is a wonderful thing to see when I have been trying to get him to drink for 15 days... I almost started crying :( I was sure to give him tons of praise and love after he was done though!!!!! :beatheart

He just came into the kitchen all by himself to GET A DRINK OF WATER!!!!!!! :clap:confetti he has been totally disinterested in water for DAYS!!!!!!! Small steps.. but it is a wonderful thing to see when I have been trying to get him to drink for 15 days... I almost started crying :( I was sure to give him tons of praise and love after he was done though!!!!! :beatheart

:yay:yay:yay

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest MorganKonaAlex

:clap on the drinking.

Wow, that's a big dose. When my Vet upped Morgan's dose to 200mg, she said recent research indicated higher doses were safe.

Guest KyGrey

Bless his heart! :yay :yay :yay