Thane 6/23/99-8/4/09

macoduck

I wasn't really interested in adding a 4th dog to our pack. But as I made my daily check of GFNC's adoptable page a big-nosed black senior grabbed my heart. All I had to do was give my DH an over the shoulder "look" and he said to go get him.

Thane had originally been a GFNC dog. His owner had had him for over 7 years. Seems his new bride didn't like Thane, said he was high maintenance. My brave and generous DH not only agreed to adopt Thane, but we did so just before I was going to my first Dewey convention. He deftly handled wrangling 4 dogs. And then I got a call. Thane had severe gastroenteritis. DH handled my usual responsibilites of diarrhea/vomiting cleanup and going to the vet. By the time I returned home from Dewey, Thane was better and he was daddy's boy.

Thane was a loner. He preferred to hide in a back bedroom with occasional forays to the living room just to make sure he wasn't missing out on anything. Thane was afraid to go for walks. Everything scared him. The most he would do for me was go up and down the street just a few houses, over and over and over. He looked forward to these walks but was happiest in not being forced to expand his walking range.

Thane was afraid of the neighbors when we were in the backyard, even though they never did anything to stress him. When they saw that I had to leash him to take him far in the backyard to potty, they graciously stepped inside their home so Thane could resume his usual quick potty patrol.

Thane did not like to wear coats in the winter. But with one rumble of a thunderstorm he'd run to me as I held his (formerly Oliver's) thunderstorm cape. He'd then go hide in a closet until the storm had passed.

I noticed that Thane's rib cage seemed to be spreading and I thought maybe DH was giving him too many cookies. His appetite came and went irregularly. We had lab work done a few times but there was nothing of significance in the results. We switched his food and things improved for a while.

Recently I had decided to add a bit of canned salmon to the dogs' food. Thane looked at me with an expression that said, Dang, woman! You've finally learned how to cook! He ate well for a week or so but then his appetite faded again.

On Sunday he peed bright red blood. The emergency vet found neplastic cells in the urine, hydrated him, gave him something for pain and possible infection.

On Monday I had my regular vet run more tests yet they could not say that it was definitely an infection. They gave him fluids.

On Tuesday I made the long drive to a vet with ultrasound. He reviewed the xrays I'd brought from June when Thane had acted like he was in pain. My vet had seen nothing. The ultrasound vet asked me to explain what I felt was going on. I told him how the ribcage area was expanding and that now that part of his body shape was not symmetrical. He said put your hand where you feel it is different. I put my hand along the lower right ribcage. The vet sighed and said that's where he sees a possible mass on those previous xrays. As he did the ultrasound he started at the bladder and worked his way up. Thane was not sedated and was fairly calm, but he was very very tired. As we looked at the screen the entire right kidney and adrenal gland was consumed by the cancer. I let Thane be peacefully put down.

Thane, my dear little man, how did you have that killer inside you and still keep wagging your tail, greeting us as we came home from work each day?

Thane, my dear little man, you never gave us "that look". Did you know how much we needed you on this earth? Did you want to stay with us that badly? I am dwelling too much on your last days and weeks. I am too sad to remember all your little quirks.

Thank you, my dear little man, for the silly way you would shake your head "no" when I asked if you wanted to eat (when you were still eating).

Thank you, my dear little man, for that prancy dance all the way to your food bowl.

Thank you, my dear little man, for making me smile every time I watched the routine of you doing your potty patrol around the yard and then racing in.

Thank you, my dear little man, for doing that funny thing with your tail as you peed like a girl, waving your tail high over your back.

Thank you, my dear little man, for coming to me as I held your thunderstorm coat and making me feel that I could actually do something to comfort you.

Thank you, my dear little man, for the white tips on your toes, the graying hair on your nose, and the dip of white on the end of your tail.

Thank you, my dear little man, for your silly way of stealing toys and hiding them in your room.

Thank you, my dear little man, for wearing those silly Mickey Mouse ears.

Mom and Dad miss you so much. You only came to our home in October. There will be a place in our hearts for you forever.

ThaneMickey.jpg

thane005-1.jpgthane003.jpgDSC03637.jpg

DSC03578_edited.jpgThane Pog Mo Thoine, Celtic for "Kiss My Ass"

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Your handsome boy finally found you; he should have been able to stay longer.

Godspeed Thane.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest KyGrey

I am so, so sorry. I was totally shocked to hear of Thane's passing.

Run free Thane! Go find the ones who went before you. They will show you the way.

Ducky,

I'm so sorry. :( What beautiful tribute to you special boy. Run free sweet baby. I know that mommy & daddy will see you again someday. Until then watch over them. :bighug:cry1:bighug

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Guest 3greysinPA

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful sweet Thane... What a handsome boy, you can tell by his pictures that he was precious in every way.

f_yellow:gh_run2:pawGod Speed to the bridge THANE :paw:gh_run2f_yellow

Ducky, your tribute tells all about a very special boy who was lucky to have you be the one who took him home. He was taken way too soon.

He grabbed a big piece of my heart and his pictures always brought a special smile for me.

I am so very sorry that he had to leave.

Thane, handsome boy, you were loved by so many and despite all my efforts to steal you, your mom shot them all down. You were way to special to her.

You were loved and I have no doubt that you knew it.

God speed handsome, and you run free with all the Angels. I sure hope my little girl gets to meet you because if she does, she will know you.

Please continue to watch over your mom and dad and all who love you.

:gh_run

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest monasmom

Oh, NO, Ducky!! I'm so sorry to hear about Thane. Although I never had the chance to meet him, I remember you telling me about him when I first met you at Dewey, and I have enjoyed your posts about him throughout this year. I will remember him in his funny hats and the Mickey Mouse ears. And I will remember him for the dog with the best racing name, ever!

I know nothing will ease the pain of this moment. I wish you peace and happy memories when you are ready.

Laura

That was beautiful and it made me cry. I had actually called for him only to find out that he went home with you - as he should have. My heart goes out to you and your husband. Find peace, sweet Thane.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

There are special people in this world who give so much and do what it takes. People like you make this world a better place. It's what keeps the rest of us going. Thank you for giving Thane the home he needed. Sometimes I think that these hounds are sent to those who have the ability to know what it takes to give them what they need. Godspeed Thane.

Guest myIrishlass

What a touching tribute to such a noble and stoic boy. Thank you for sharing--so we all can be touched, even if just through your writing, by Thane.

Guest PhillyPups

Ducky,

I am so very sorry for your loss of sweet Thane. Way too soon, he was so loved!! :bighug

Run with the angels sweet Thane, you are with some of the very, very best -

I am so very sorry for your loss. Maybe Thane and John E can wait out the thunderstorms together.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so very sorry.

:f_red

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to Thane showed what a very special boy he was & how much he needed you. I'm sorry he didn't have more time with you. Godspeed Thane! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis