Thane Peeing Blood

Did your vet send a culture out today, Ducky?

He's got leukocytes today, and WBC 2-10 in micro, which does support UTI. Bacteria TNTC (too numerous to count) and granular casts -- also consistent with UTI. Waxy casts - not necessarily pathological and not surprising given protein in his urine. SG 1.038 = glad your vet gave him SC fluids because he needed it. But your vet didn't mention anything about neoplastic cells?!?

Is his urine still grossly bloody? It should clear up over the course of the day with fluids on board.

So, this is OK! He's feeling a bit better today, and will be feeling even better by tonight/tomorrow. He's gotten fluids and antibiotics and tomorrow you'll have more answers. Continued positive thoughts and big hugs comin' your way...

J

Back from vet. Nothing definitive. UTI or Transitional Cell Carcinoma

Urinalysis:

pH......... 6.5

Leu ........25

Pro ........500mg

Glu ........negative

Ket ........negative

Ubg .......normal

KET .......normal

BIL .......1mg

BLD ......250Ery

Specific Gravity .. 1/038

sediment:

WBC 2-10/hpf

RBC... TNTC

Bacteria.... cocci TNTC

crystals... calcium oxalate, small in size and some amorphous

casts....waxy/granular

Thane was given sub-Q fluids and injectable Convenia

He has an appt Tuesday with the out of town vet for an ultrasound in the afternoon.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

We will be keeping good thoughts for Thane. The Sub Q fluids will really help him, too!

Hope he continues improving, and good luck with the ultrasound!

Did your vet send a culture out today, Ducky?

He's got leukocytes today, and WBC 2-10 in micro, which does support UTI. Bacteria TNTC (too numerous to count) and granular casts -- also consistent with UTI. Waxy casts - not necessarily pathological and not surprising given protein in his urine. SG 1.038 = glad your vet gave him SC fluids because he needed it. But your vet didn't mention anything about neoplastic cells?!?

Is his urine still grossly bloody? It should clear up over the course of the day with fluids on board.

So, this is OK! He's feeling a bit better today, and will be feeling even better by tonight/tomorrow. He's gotten fluids and antibiotics and tomorrow you'll have more answers. Continued positive thoughts and big hugs comin' your way...

J

I forgot to ask about the culture but she did mention that one test could not be done because there was too much blood.

Roads are flooded from a big storm and I couldn't get Gracie in this afternoon to get her ear bandage re-done. At least she isn't fussing with it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I forgot to ask about the culture but she did mention that one test could not be done because there was too much blood.

The test she couldn't do would be the urine protein creatinine ratio. The protein contained in RBC will give an inaccurately elevated result. The UPC can be done after this episode has cleared up.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I just got off work at noon. At least Thane greeted me at the door. All the sub-Q fluids given yesterday must have been absorbed already because I just did a fresh catch and it's even darker bloody urine than yesterday. I will be leaving shortly to take him to the ultrasound and it's over an hour's drive.

If there's a severe UTI we'll deal with it, if there is a mass we will let him go.......

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Very best wishes for a clean ultrasound. :goodluck:clover:hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Lots of prayers headed your way.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:hope:hope:hope:hope Please be a UTI.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Ducky you are all in our thoughts. Hugs to Thane and hopefully this is a simple infection.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Adenocarcinoma completely consuming the right kidney and adrenal gland.

Thane (Pog Mo Thoine - "Kiss My Ass") 6/23/99-8/4/09 :gh_run

I will write something in Rememberance - but not tonight.

tiny hada siggy.png