When Did '3 Year' Rabies Vaccine First Come Out?

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

When I worked at an animal shelter in Idaho from 1994-1997, (I had not heard of the '3 year' Rabies vaccine at that time), it was very standard practice that it be done every 1 year. I came to Michigan in 1999, and all of a sudden heard about this '3 year' Rabies vaccine. I assumed this was just a new thing. But now I am wondering if it was that out west it was just done differently?

It is generally the same vaccine -- most vets -- even in 1 year states use a vaccine good for 3 years. The states (and sometimes municipalities) decide how long it is good for. Texas went to 3 year protocol about 2002. Last I heard thirtysome states had gone to 3 year.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I got a 3 year for my dachshund last year. I guess the rule of thumb, at least with my vet, is that they have to have 1 year rabies previously to get the 3 year.

This year I'm hoping they're able to give Cookie a 3 year b/c she does have a record of her previous rabies shot from when she waiting on the farm last year.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest Lovey_Hounds
I got a 3 year for my dachshund last year. I guess the rule of thumb, at least with my vet, is that they have to have 1 year rabies previously to get the 3 year.

This year I'm hoping they're able to give Cookie a 3 year b/c she does have a record of her previous rabies shot from when she waiting on the farm last year.

the reason you get the one year shot first is to make sure that the dog doesnt have any bad reactions to the vaccine, if the dog is ok with a 1 year shot they are then able to get the 3 year shot when they are due. my vet preffers to do the 3 year if he can so i am not overloading my dogs immune systems every year with shot after shot.

I know we have had the 3 year vaccine (in canada) for a while now i remeber my jack russel getting it in 2001, its a newer vaccine but it seems to be as good as the 1 year.

Guest EmilyAnne

^^^there is the same amount of serum in the one year vaccine as the three year vaccine, so that theory wouldnt make sense?

^^^there is the same amount of serum in the one year vaccine as the three year vaccine, so that theory wouldnt make sense?

Correct.

I'm in IL and I used to work at an animal shelter...it was 99 I think and we did the 3 year rabies, and it had been around for a long time prior to that.

Our protocol was, an animal should have it's first rabies vaccine around 6 months of age...and that one's good for a year. After a year, the animal can then have a 3 year rabies (same amount and type of serum as the 1 year)...it's just that the animal's titer should be good for 3 years.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My vet said the only difference is legal--medically the one year is the same as the three year, but some states require rabies shots each year. Thankfully Delaware only wants it every three years to renew the license. I'm not all that paranoid about vaccination, but I do prefer to minimize it when possible.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Three years here in Washington too. Opie is going for his annual exam today, and is NOT due for Rabies this year. :)

Edited by tydyelady

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest Spencers_Greyt

When I first adopted Emmy and took her to my vet, he gave her a 3 y/o rabies shot and that was 8 years ago. I've been getting them ever since.

We had been "dogless" for about 10 years before we adopted Wendy. The 3 year protocol took me by surprise as in New York, and years previous in Miami, the vaccine was given annually. I like the idea of eliminating uneccesary vaccinations.

RyceMom, Are you there? How long has the 3 year protocol been the norm in Miami? Just askin'... :colgate

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest kydie

I have been using the 3 yr. vaccine for many years, In Pa. an owner can vaccinate their own dogs, not any others, as I vaccinate all my own pups here for about, 18 years, I can't remember how long it has been out, but it is true, each state has it's own regulations

in new york they are giving the first one year rabies vac. at a really young age. i believe my pup who is nearly 2.5 yrs old had it when he was 12 weeks old. i was appalled, but they are fighting an epidemic. then 3 yr boosters are given a year later.

my welsh terrier had is initial shot at 6mo. a one year vac. and then 3 year boosters after and he would have been 16 last december. so, they have been around for quite some time. he went into shock on his 11th birthday, he had a booster and almost lost him. so an adverse reaction can happen at any time......is that comment opening a can of worms? a new discussion on tieters?

Our vet gives the "one year" rabies shot to everyone but the veterinary instruction slip he sends home says it's really a three year. They believe in annual shots here because rabies is a big problem. As someone said, it's a legal issue or a local health issue, not an strength issue.

I would think a rabies shot every year would present a too-high titer problem. I'm sticking to every three years for the time being.

There is some kind of rabies shot that's given every year to cats b/c it actually is different has has a safer delivery chemical and is and much safer. Our vet in SC doesn't give it; our vet in CT did, God bless her. I don't know if they give it to dogs or not. I sure wish I knew the name of it. :unsure

Does anyone know about this other kind of shot?