Healing Light For Bumper

Guest Betty

Derek so glad to hear Bumper is home, that is wonderful news. :love2

Sending healing thoughts to Bumper and wishing you and your family the best. :grouphug:grouphug

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful news!!! Hope he continues to improve.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Oh, sweet Bumper, he who has bumpers on his bed, I have been following your thread & am so glad you are home. Now listen to your dad. Help him out by eating & exercising without trying any crazy stuff. Get better!

Hey GTers. Thought it was time for a quick update on the Bumper-man. He came by his name honestly and is currently really living up to it. He is walking!! Not pretty and needs help to avoid falling, but he's up an at 'em on his own steam. Here are the details:

9 days ago, MRI. Not able to stand and incredibly painful. Suspect ruptured disc but MRI was normal. Now thinking autoimmune.

7 days ago, Dexamethasone (steroid) started to reduce inflammation around his spine. Had blow out D at the vet since MRI. Stools better with return to his raw food (thankfully the vet had no issues with refrigerating and special handling this food in the ICU.

4 days ago, sprung him from the vet

- still very painful, needed the sling for 2 days, peed in it every time he got up

- had bowel movements where he lay, thankfully they are solid and fall right onto a paper towel.

- did PT daily

- hated the sling and refused to try and walk with it

3 days ago - a bad day. Bumper not looking good, not doing much, not happy. We were starting to be concerned.

2 days ago - some improvement, saw him jump to his feet inside his xpen.

Yesterday, tried a new approach - get him to try and get up and walk on his own, motivated by a trail of treats. It worked.

Today, made him get up without assistance and walk on his own to go outside. It worked and he wanted to go for a walk up the street. I turned him around at the neighbor's house, happy he was able to go that far. His back end 'fishtails' when he walks and needs lateral support sometimes so he doesn't fall over, but he is clearly getting better!

And I wonder why my back has been killing me since Bumper has come home. Bump's littermate Brucie completes the picture.

Brucecouch001-1.jpg

This is the Bumpman tonight, getting some love from DD. He has a bed on a bed to make sure he is nice and cozy!!

Brucecouch002.jpg

We are hoping and praying there is no permanent nerve damage and our boy will soon be his usual romping self. Will let you know how it all turns out, but thanks as always for Bump's well wishes and :goodluck for Bumper!

Derek

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Continued prayers for Bumper.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Prayers for more healing. The smile on your daughter's face says it all.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Energy11

Derek, I am happy to read that Bumper is improving! As I said in prior posts, YOU ARE A GREYT DAD!! I sleep with mine when they are sick, on the floor, just like you! Your daughter is gorgeous!

You guys are in our prayers and we went out lots of hugs, prayers and healing thoughts!! I little cool weather too :-))

Love ya! Dee and Our Five :wub: :wub: :yay:clap:getwell

I'm so glad he's home. I hope he continues to improve.

FWIW, with Cora's issues (broken femur, then an FCE that affected the other side), I used a sling at first, then switched to a Ruffwear Web Master harness--it's not as good at lifting the back end as a sling, but it allows one to provide a little extra support for turns and pottying and whatnot. Harness

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so glad he's home. I hope he continues to improve.

FWIW, with Cora's issues (broken femur, then an FCE that affected the other side), I used a sling at first, then switched to a Ruffwear Web Master harness--it's not as good at lifting the back end as a sling, but it allows one to provide a little extra support for turns and pottying and whatnot. Harness

Thanks for the link - it looks like an awesome harness. I've bookmarked it "just in case" but hope we don't need it!

Derek

Guest Betty

Derek you are such a greyt dad!

Thanks for the pictures.

Sending out white light and healing thoughts to Bumper, that everyday gets to be a better day for him. :grouphug

More good thoughts for Bumper. I hope he continues to improve!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm glad to see that Bumper is home........

ththgetwell.gif

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

• 2 weeks later...

Hey GTers. I have again been avoiding a GT update on Bump as his recovery has had its moments of trial and tribulation.

- 3 days ago, he had blowout D and massive vomiting for absolutely no apparent reason.

- 2 nights ago, we had to rush him to the e-vet due to INCREDIBLE pain in his armpit area. We couldn't even touch him, let alone lift him up to take him outside. Once we 'grinned and beared' the screaming from him, he went straight to the vet after his business. The topic of conversation included lymphoma (again) and euthanasia. Doc felt it was a neuro issue in his neck which was shooting pain to his shoulder. Doc gave him a shot of pain meds, wanted me to see the neurologist asap, so I booked the appt at the specialty clinic for the next morning and took a drugged up Bump home uneventfully. He didn't stir all night (yes, I am still sleeping on the floor beside him, lol!!!) and by morning, was doing ok.

- Saw the neurologist (board certified). He feels the lack of steroids and pain meds during the vomit phase caused the pain issue. His counsel was to think positive and stay the course. Bump was a lot less painful, even 12 hours after the injection and no other pain meds. Whatever bothered him under his armpit was gone as fast as it arrived. Thank doG, but everyone is perplexed as all he77.

Tonight, I took both brothers for a short walk. Bump is doing a lot better, no signs of pain and still has some balance issues, but he gets down the street on his own steam just fine. He is improving every day, except for those days with some hiccups :colgate

We would all love your continued support for the boy as we enter into week 5 of this medical issue. If anyone can offer advice as to how to get 14 pounds back on a greyhound, I would love to hear it. Here's a gratuitous shot of our now skinnyman, at 64 lbs from 80, with his brother looking on in support:

Bumprecovering.jpg

Thank you all again so very much!

Derek

I'm still praying for Bumper. I hope he continues to do well. I know some will chime in here with satin ball recipes and food ideas. I hope he is pain free. Hugs.

Guest greymama002
:hope:hope:hope that Bumper will continue to improve and get his appetite back. There was a great meatloaf recipe in Outlaw's thread (don't know how to do a link) that Outlaw really enjoyed; maybe Bumper would too.