Lessons Learned The Hard Way

Guest Vinnie

So sorry you are having a heck of a week, hope it gets better. Hope Gracie ear heals by itself without surgical help and that your back gets better as well. Glad to hear that Wally was able to get back to normal from your quick reactions with the heat. Hugs and scritches.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm sorry. What a rough week for all of you. Fortunately, it's almost over, tomorrow is a new day. Give your pups a big hug and a kiss. It's probably a new week already where you live as I type this!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greybookends

Ducky I am so glad all is well and I hope Gracie's ear needs no further treatment. I hope your back feels better. I have learned to count especially since Sheana loves to bake in the sun. When your tired and don't feel good yourself it is hard sometimes to remember all the things that you normally do. Don't beat yourself up. You are human and we all make mistakes.

:grouphug

PHEW.........glad houndies are safe and well now after vet visit.

And a large stiff brandy for yourself.....medicinal of course ;)

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. :) So far Gracie's ear is looking good.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Tuxsmom

I think we have all done this to one degree or another. :grouphug

I fell asleep with Penny outside once. Thank goodness she whined like crazy at the door. She had been outside 30 minutes !!! (I was sick).

Thank you for sharing your stories with us and I hope your week gets a lot better :)

Aww Ducky! I'm sorry you had a bad week! Glad the pups are ok and Gracie's ear is better. Just think-its a new week and things will be better!

Hugs from all of us and rerally big one from Sampson!

I can relate. Freddie was not a barker the way Gidge was (she definitely let us know when she wanted to come inside) so we finally learned to keep the wood door open if either of us had let any of the dogs out.

Please don't beat yourself up about it. Mistakes happen and we learn from them. Big hugs to all of you, and give your puppers and big, sloppy kiss from me.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

You are not alone ! We've all done something we wished we hadn't, but we learn from our mistakes. We always make sure our gates are closed after hubby mows the grass, never any problems.

Last year I was in the yard with our 3 when our neighbor walked over and said "I have your dog". So I said, if you really want a greyhound I can help you get one. No, I really have your dog, you know "Clark". Well, still thinking he is joking a take a head count and immediately thought I would DIE ! Yep, the gate was open and Clark decided to visit our wonderful neighbors. Needless to say, all gates are now double safety catches and are checked before our guys go out. We have since lost Clark to osteo but could so easily have lost him to an open gate.

Things happen, just enjoy your wonderful greys. Of course, extra biscuits always help.

Guest VelvetEars

I've done that. Well...more accurately....DH has done it.

Most recently, though, I went frantic trying to find Jumpy --- I let 2 dogs out into the yard, and only Jackson came back in. Turns out she had let herself back in while I was standing there talking to DH w/ the storm door not entirely closed, and neither of us noticed it.

:grouphug Been there, done that.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Please don't beat yourself up! As you see from the responses you are not alone!

I recently left my female out at night...I fell asleep waiting for her to come in.

A long time a ago, I went to drop one of my sons at music lessons...after running around dropping the other 2 off in different places...but did not even have my son in the car. I turned around to say, "have a good lesson" and he wasn't there! He was home waiting for me!

I made an "in/out" chart when my three sons all lived home and I couldn't keep their comings and goings straight...

I made a chart with two columns...one marked in and the other marked out. strip of velcro under each column

I put velcro on the back of their respective names...hung by the back door. They were responsible to move it to the correct column when going out or coming home. that way I knew they were home for the night had I fallen asleep waiting for them.

Something like this might work for your dogs.

Good luck!

Guest MyBoys

Life today seems to be so fast, we all rush and hurry at times and forget. This is a reminder we all need to slow down sometimes and smell the roses, in your case count the dog heads (LOL). I hope your back is feeling better.

Guest Audeamus

:grouphug:grouphug

I have a single (Gir) and I forgot his was outside once. It rained/hailed on him. :ph34r:( I felt so terrible afterwards but he still loves me.

Guest ThunderPaws

Ducky, I just saw your post. Glad everything turned out ok.

It must've been a strange week for both of us: In my 12 years with greyhounds I never had one loose, but last Sunday I leashed four dogs to take them to Panera for breakfast, with two dogs staying home. Waldo wasn't too happy that he wasn't going (he doesn't like people and kids) and squeezed through the door with the others. Two or three black dogs - I can't tell!

When I got to the driveway I saw him bouncing around the van ready to hop in! I thought I am going to have a heart attack! After I put him back in the house I sat down with my heart pounding like crazy, I was so lucky!

I forgot a dog out in the garage before, not for long, though. With fosters come and go, I never have the same amount of dogs at the house and it's hard to do count with so many.

Every time I leave the house everyone but three are being crated and everyone gets a cookie. That's a good way of doing headcounts.

Edited by ThunderPaws

Guest monasmom

Ducky--I'm sorry to say that when I originally read your post I had a hard time picturing myself forgetting a hound--after all, I only have three. Then last night, I left Vinny outside after dinner. He was out there for about two hours. It wasn't raining but the ground was wet. Around 9:00 we were getting ready to go for a walk (one of Vinny's favorite parts of the day--not the walk, the getting ready), and no Vinny. I called him and DH looked in all his favorite spots. No Vinny. I almost had a heart attack. It took about 5 years to get down the stairs to the back door. I truly couldn't believe I had left him out there. But I opened the door and there he was! No worse for the wear and very happy to see me (although his poor ears were cold). And I betcha the next time I yell, All right, everyone inside! he won't linger in the corner munching grass!

Moral of this story: it can happen to any of us!!

Guest Energy11

Cari LOVES to sleep out in the small pen in the straw. Two days ago, she REFUSED to come in, so I said, "okay ... stay out for a while...." I have the flu, AND the granddaughter. I, too, forgot she was out there. The other four "told" me she was. LUCKILY it was not hott at all, due to a WONDERFUL cool front, but, she was still a little hot!

Yes, it does happen to us all, Ducky!