Another Pup With Osteo

Guest Grhndad

Guest Grhndad

Our 8 yr old former foster girl, Lexie, was diagnosed with Osteo on Jun 22. I say former foster because we have since adopted her. She had been a long term foster (7 months) after being returned. Just a slight limp but enought to get checked out. We had thought that she injured her paw jumping off of our bed. We have one of those very high beds and that was her favorite daytime napping place. The vet thought so and gave her a shot of dex and Metacam. Limp went away and all was fine. A week later the same thing happened again. Back to the vet and X-rays. There it was on the upper humerus on her right front leg. Very early stages. After a long discussion with the vet, it was decided that we would just do pain management. For a week and a half the Metacam worked greyt and then the limping started again. Back for addition X-rays. The cancer had gotten larger. Chest X-rays were clear. She is now on tramadol and Metacam but that isn't really doing anything. She is still limping slightly but sleeping a lot. It seems that the tramadol is causing her to nap more. She's not drugged out just sleepy. When she is up she is very alert. Can't let her out with the others as she wants to run and play and we don't want to chance that she will get bumped and the leg break.

We have lost 4 other grey babies to other types of the big C with their ages running from 12 yr 8 months to 13 yr 8 months but this is our first with Osteo

Guest Energy11

Sooo sorry! Sooo young! HATE THIS HORRIBLE DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with what you are doing, only palliative care (pain management). We found Max's Osteo early, as well, and he was with us another three months, and until about the last week, had a good quality of life :-)

Good luck and keep us posted. Lexie is in our prayers and thoughts! D

I'm so sorry. :cry1 I'm glad, though, that Lexie found a home with you. I hope that she has lots of good (if sleepy) days left.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

God bless you for deciding the add her to your family. I'm so sorry about the osteo. We will keep you all in our prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest ishapespace

Harry, Lesley told me about Lexie a little while back when I was asking about updating available dogs on greyhound data. I was shocked when I heard. She's so young. If we had a foster that came up with something like that, we would do exactly what you did, adopt them. I am so sorry you guys are going through this. I know ya'll will do what's best for Lexie. I have been told that she is such a sweetheart. Good luck and keep us posted.

Here is Lexie's pic from greyhound-data:

Greyhound_Life_Happens-big.jpg

Guest Bonansa

Our hearts go out to you. I just hate this awful scourge on our babies. We had to send our girl, Cindy, to the angels yesterday due to cancer. I get so angry when I think that this is a man-made mess. Just knowing that cancer occurs in significantly higher rates among our retired racing greys than in the AKCs says it all. These tough, wonderful, beautiful beings work so hard all their lives and deserve some comfort and love in return while they are here. DH and I are even more committed to saving as many as we can in the future.

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug to you all and thank you for giving beautiful Lexi a home and family of her very own - what a gift you gave her.

You all will be in my prayers - sad to say I have been there.

This sounds very similar to what we went through with our Argos. He was 7. I wish you much strength as you go through this with Lexie. She's a lucky girl to be finishing out her life with you.

:grouphug

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I am so sad and sorry to read this. I wish you had much more time with your beautiful girl.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Grhndad
Harry, Lesley told me about Lexie a little while back when I was asking about updating available dogs on greyhound data. I was shocked when I heard. She's so young. If we had a foster that came up with something like that, we would do exactly what you did, adopt them. I am so sorry you guys are going through this. I know ya'll will do what's best for Lexie. I have been told that she is such a sweetheart. Good luck and keep us posted.

Here is Lexie's pic from greyhound-data:

Greyhound_Life_Happens-big.jpg

That picture was taken the morning she came home with us. As you can see it didn't take her long to find the bed. :)

She is the biggest sweetheart. A perfect doll.

She is soo pretty :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.