Blood Removal

I posted in Rememberance how we lost our Rusty to cancer last night. He had bone cancer that we didn't know about and his legged snapped and went through the skin. I now have soaked in blood in the carpet that I can't get out. I obviousley didn't treat it right away because we rushed him to the emergency vet so fast. But I've got to get in cleaned up. It hurts too much to see it. I have been using Nature's mIracle, but it's not doing anything. Any other ideas? :(

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Do you have anything like a little green clean machine or a good shop vac that will suck up water out of the carpet? You'll probably need to get it very wet again and then suck out the dirty water. If you don't have and can't rent a machine, you could blot up the water with old towels instead. Just keep flushing, flushing, flushing and sucking it up / blotting until it's gone.

My heart goes out to you. There are no good ways to lose a family member, but that is an especially miserable shock.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Also, professional carpet cleaners wouldn't cost that much to do one room. And surely they'd be experienced in proper stain removal techniques. And maybe it would be a way of being gentle on yourself right now, letting someone else handle the dirty work and effort. I'd say the last thing you need to be doing today is scrubbing the carpet.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest MAXNAV

I'm so sorry to hear about Rusty.

A friend told me that white vinegar worked good on the carpet for her puppy pee and poop. I'm not sure about blood though. Get an old rag, put some vinegar on it and blot the area. Don't rub it. Then with a dry rag try to blot it up and see if that works. You shouldn't saturate the rug, because if it's in the padding underneath, it'll just keep bringing the stain up through to the carpet. You could even try to just call a local carpet company and ask them what they'd use. They may tell you over the phone.

I'm thinking of you.

I am so sorry for your loss. Apparently, in Greyhounds, as many as 40% of bone cancers are not found until a bone snaps!

I agree with those who suggested hiring someone just this once.

They don't have to clean the whole carpet; just the stain.

If this is not possible, you need extraction. Cold water is generally what takes blood out--but you need to be able to pull it out of the carpet. Those machines you can rent at supermarkets (Rug Doctor) work pretty well. Nature's Miracle needs quite a while to work, and you need to SOAK the carpet repeatedly, which is actually going to just make the stain go into the bad and probably the floor.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest kydie

I would call a professional cleaner, also, I know it seems like a lot, but cleaning this may make you more upset, than the few bucks it costs, I am sooo sorry about your friend, I and many here know your pain.

Jodie,I am so sorry to hear about Rusty. When we have blood on our carpet, we have a small spray bottle that has amonia water in it. Just spray it on and than pat it up with paper towel.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest MyBoys

I am so sorry about your Rusty, we just experienced the same thing back in March. Try scrubbing you carpet with oxi powder, the kind you use in the wash, mixed in hot water with a soft scrub brush.

I'm so sorry.

I've found that club soda works, as does peroxide, but keep in mind that peroxide will also bleach colour out.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

My deepest sympathy! You are in my prayers.

I have found peroxide works well. Test on a small section first but it sometimes does NOT bleach my furniture/carpet etc..

Edited by racindog

an osteo bone break happens frequently unfortunately. I'm sorry for your loss. Use OXY clean. You may have to use several times but the hydrogen peroxide gets it out. we use it a lot.

Guest Greensleeves

Oh, I'm so sorry! We lost Whistler that suddenly to cancer, as well. I completely understand the shock you're going through... as well as the need to get rid of the reminders of the illness as soon as possible (two days after we lost Nelly, I took all her extra sub-q fluids, supplies, and special kidney diet right back to the vet. Everyone told me to wait, but I wanted it gone so I could remember Nelly, not the illness.)

For now, I'd soak the stain in hydrogen peroxide, put a big thick towel over it so you can't see it, and call a cleaning company.

Guest sheila

peroxide is always what worked here for blood. I saturate the area with peroxide and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then blot it up. I repeated as necessary and then used my carpet cleaner to do the rest. However this was for a torn webbing that left multiple small marks all over. If it is a large amount of blood I agree that calling in a professional is the way to go. You might check and see if your homeowners insurance will cover any of the cost.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! I have no advice other than what has already been posted. I have always had luck with Nature's Miracle, but the spots I have used it on were not large: just a few small spots of carpet from a minor foot injury.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Thanks everyone. The hydrogen peroxide worked well. I got the reminder all cleaned up.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17