Drake's Healing Progress - After Mass Removal From Both Left Legs

Guest FLT

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eaglflyt

We're so glad Drake is improving and we really hope he keeps the course. Gotta get all 4 of his legs back up to full speed ... to support his handsomeness. ; )

Drake - shortly after we adopted him 5 years ago

904967399_447b0bb7e5_o.jpg

Drake just a few months ago - significantly more grey, but having grown even more loving and handsome over the years.

3588914749_dc6a96a386.jpg

Drake, charming everyone and showing off his masterful roaching skills

3492056790_96557c3f27.jpg

Drake Duvall, charmer of ladies and "greyhound bait" because everyone who met him wanted to take him (or another greyhound if he wasn't available) home passed away suddenly at home at 3:40am.

Last night he had eaten well (we were spoiling him with canned EN and/or home cooked ground beef and rice to keep his appetite up while finishing up the nasty antibiotics that were treating the MRSA infection he had just about finished fighting off). He has never been a chatterer, but he chattered for dinner as he has since we started feeding him the "good stuff" a couple of weeks ago. He was as loving as usual and got plenty of loving attention just as he demanded. When we went to bed he picked the dog bed that is the fluffiest one, and after laying down he knitted the corner of the bed contentedly just like usual before going to sleep (that is why his front teeth were always polished - because he loved to knit the sheets or bed or whatever he was happy to be lying on).

In the wee hours, Drake cried out and my husband and I both went to his side immediately. He cried out only for about 10 seconds before going silent and then almost immediately stopped breathing. I am certain he felt nothing prior to crying out because I have perfected waking the moment Drake would move at all in the last year, and the bed he chose to sleep on last night is actually quite loud when you move on it, even slightly. I performed CPR for a couple of minutes, but only that briefly because it was obvious that he was well and truly gone from us and had crossed the bridge. I listened to his chest with my stethoscope and confirmed that his mighty heart had stopped.

Kaylee (Drake's litter mate) did not have any interest in seeing him after he passed away.

We took his body to Dr. Prostredny's office shortly after he passed away (they have an e-vet on site, so they are open 24 hours a day) and Dr. Prostredny called me this morning to tell me how sorry they all are. We asked about Necropsy and private cremation, but he is not sure that it is possible to do both. If we have to choose, I'll pick the private cremation because we would like his remains to come back to us.

Dr. Prostredny agreed with my initial assessment that Drake most likely had a pulmonary embolism (throwing a clot that blocks the vein in the lungs). If a necropsy is not possible, I will be reasonably sure that this was the cause of death.

My husband and I are in complete shock, but I wanted to let all of you who have been so supportive of Drake's journey know of his passing.

Thank you again to everyone who has kept Drake in your thoughts - we have always appreciated your support and caring.

FL (with Kaylee and angels Drake and Chester)

Drake and Chester (exhausted after a trip to Dewey)

904967267_9f7954a8eb_o.jpg

Edited by FLT

Oh, FL, how horrible. What a blow that is after all the hard work you guys have done for this sweet soul.

Run pain free Drake, go find Bailey and dig holes with her. :angelwings

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

OMG! Oh nonono! I'm so sorry! Oh Drake.....sad.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest windycove

May Healing Grace surround you. Drake knew he had the BEST Forever Home and was surrounded by love! Run free again sweet boy!

Edited by windycove

What a horrible sucker punch for you and DH.

Godspeed, sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry...how sad after all everyone has been through :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest eaglflyt

OH my, NO! I'm so very sorry and so very sad that Drake is gone. I feel like we all knew him so very well. Bless his heart. He is running free now with 4 healthy legs and chasing bunnies up there. Huge HUGS for you and your husband. Drake had wonderful owners. :grouphug:cry1f_yellow

I sit here in tears. I have been charmed by Drake in person. What a charmer he was. I am so sorry to read of his passing.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for your kind thoughts. My husband and I are going to be in mourning for some time to come, because Drake was a once in a lifetime heart dog for both of us.

FYI - we were able to arrange to have Drake shipped to OSU for a Necropsy, and to work with an Ohio based crematorium that can provide a private cremation of his remains after testing is complete. We should have his ashes back in a few weeks, and he will be placed next to his brother Chester - who we lost 11.5 months ago to Hemangiosarcoma.

Hug your hounds, spouses, kids, kitties and other pets.

FL

Guest bluefawn

I am so very sorry that you lost your beautiful boy Drake, especially after everything that you all went through. You are such a good mommy and he had the very best of care. He was such a handsome boy and I felt like we all got to know him through your posts and pictures. Greyhound hugs to you and DH grouphug.gif

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh, what an awful shock. I am so sorry for the loss of this sweet, lovely, and well-loved boy. Godspeed, handsome Drake...