Drake's Healing Progress - After Mass Removal From Both Left Legs

Guest FLT

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Just back from Drake's latest vet appointment. I went in planning to ask Dr. P about taking Drake off the Rimadyl - his poops have gotten progressively looser, and although they still have form and he is only doing one or two a day - he is obviously not tolerating it all that well (nor do I think it is helping nearly as much as the Metacam has in the past).

When the vet tech took him in back and asked him to sit down before lying down (like they have done for the last 21 weeks) he treated them to their first GSOD. He normally is quiet and calm with them, and hasn't ever screamed before. They were quite shaken, and worried.

When they brought him back out to me and started to lead us back to a room to meet with Dr. P in, he threw up.

While waiting for Dr. P, I put my jacket down on the floor and Drake laid right down on it (and he has to be feeling really terrible before he wants to lie down on the hard floor, even on a jacket). He didn't even make a move to get up when Dr. P came in - but of course I was sitting on the floor with him and his head was in my lap.

Dr. P and I discussed the Rimadyl and agreed that taking him off it was the best move - he thinks that the vomiting is probably from that as well, but gave me his cell number (surprised me there) and asked me to keep him informed if he continues to throw up, or if he goes off his food.

We are going to increase the Tramadol to three times a day from twice a day to help make up for the lack of additional pain med / anti-inflammatory med to try and keep him comfortable. He is getting 1.5 pills (75 mg total) per dose, but I can also take it up to 2 pills (100 mg) per dose if I feel he needs additional help.

The wound itself is no worse looking than last time - but no better either. His next appointment is Friday, but they are probably going to leave the stitches in for another week thereafter - even though that will have been 2 weeks from surgery.

Drake is crashed out in the living room now, but despite being asleep his breathing rate is twice his sister's - about 28 inhalations per minute. Is that high enough I should be worried? Anyway, if he continues to throw up (which I doubt, since I think the Rimadyl is the problem here) then we'll do blood work on Friday to make sure he doesn't have any issues with his pancreas or anything.

Has he had a chest/abdominal x-ray?

Worth giving something like sucralfate to coat those irritated innards?

Sending gentle hugs and scritchies to your precious boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He had a chest x-ray and abdominal ultrasound at OSU last week - both perfectly normal (except for some small stones in his bladder that we had seen in the previous ultrasound nearly 5 months ago).

I've been giving Pepcid to buffer the Rimadyl - I figured I would keep giving that a few more days anyway. Do you recommend changing to something else instead?

Thank you!

FL

Has he had a chest/abdominal x-ray?

Worth giving something like sucralfate to coat those irritated innards?

Sending gentle hugs and scritchies to your precious boy.

Pepcid should help. I think some of the other tummy meds have more of a coating action, but he may not need that if he starts feeling better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor guy! Not liking that he's feeling apparently worse, rather than better. Hopefully, it's just the Rimadyl, and it will work out of his system without a problem. If you're worried, you should call the vet; he did give you his number specifically.

Hugs to you both!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Update:

Drake and I are just back from the vet's office for another bandage change / wound check. Dr. Prostredny said it looks like they used 4 sutures at OSU, but one of them was missing. The area that had sutures has (at least for the moment) closed - but the missing one (in the middle, of course) is gaping open about 2 mm wide and 4 mm long. Dr. P said that in any other animal he'd say that would be closed by our next appointment - but with it being Drake, he doesn't expect it to (but hey, hope springs eternal).

He took out the three sutures that were still there because that area is not under tension (with the splint anyway - which he put back on) and we'll just see how it looks next Wednesday when we are next in. It really isn't draining much at all, and looks healthy.

I'm giving the Tramadol 3x a day, 1.5 pills per dose - and that seems to help. His rear leg appears much worse coming home from the vet today though - I think that when they ask him to lie down he twisted it weird. They also said he actually snapped (with an obvious attempt to NOT connect) at them today as well - so he is not entirely comfortable for sure. I think I'll give him another Tramadol now to take the edge off again, and hopefully he'll be feeling better again soon. I can tell the difference in how he is feeling without the anti-inflammatory on board.. will ask on Wednesday about starting him on Metacam again if he is still stiff at that point. I do not want to use the Rimadyl again - it just didn't sit well with him.

So - mixed good and bad today. Glad the front paw is looking a bit better, but I'm worried that the moment we decide to leave the splint off and it goes under tension again - it will split right open to where we were before the trip to OSU.

FL

*frowning a bit in concentration*

Hmf. He's clearly getting tired of all this fuss. Poor Drake. It's really time to get off center stage, buddy. Let that stuff heal, huh? What are you? Camille here, or what??

:bighug

Still the positive thoughts beaming up to center stage from Drake's adoring audience ....

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

I think that lack of an anti-inflammatory med is really starting to show. Drake has gone back to pretending he only has right legs because the left rear is so sore and the left front has a splint on it, and is hopping around doing his biped dog routine. I've emailed Dr. P and asked if we've been off the Rimadyl long enough to go back on Metacam (last Rimadyl was the morning of Oct 19th).

Hopefully he'll get back to me sometime tonight and we can get Drake back on Metacam tomorrow.

Drake sends love to all the ladies,

FL

I heard back from Dr. Prostredny - he says I can start Metacam, so we'll give it with dinner. (He gets his acid reducer about an hour before).

Xan - thanks for pushing me to find that cable for the camera! Here are a few of Drake for you :-)

This one is actually from back in July (when he was still wrapped on both legs) - but I found it on the camera and wanted to share. Drake (like all our hounds) likes to hang his head off the bed.. but it's harder to stay on when it is a triple stack of beds!

4047115634_8a738f39e0_b.jpg

This photo was taken shortly after our last trip to OSU - about a week and a half ago. Drake and Kaylee sharing a pillow. Drake and Kaylee are litter mates, and you can really see their resemblance.

4047115616_2f550a1b45_b.jpg

This is from a little while ago - Drake was napping on the sofa with his teddy bear (not staged) when I saw your request for photos.

4047115590_5e968ccb78_b.jpg

Finally - Drake is having trouble getting his legs into the greyhound knot with that splint in his way - but he is trying!

4047115598_8c6552c946_b.jpg

Now that I found the camera AND the cable to connect it to the computer I should be able to give you a few more here and there :-)

Cheers,

FL

Oh, Drake, the ladies send their love to you too! You and your sister are so lovely.

How's he doing on the Metacam?

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

thanks for the photos of your wonderfull boy. I sure hope soon he will no longer have to do vet visits. Hugs to you all

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Update - good and bad:

The good! The front paw is looking the BEST it has since we started over 5 months ago. He is down to just a "pin prick" hole. Dr. Prostredny took off the splint, saying he really doesn't think it is helping anything at this point - but re-bandaged the leg. We'll see what it looks like in a week.

The bad! Dr. Prostredny did a repeat x-ray of the rear knee that OSU took a look at and thinks that there is likely a partially ruptured cruciate ligament in the knee. If so, surgery will be required. ::sigh:: The cost is another $3200 or so here in Maryland, and I'll see if OSU can do it somewhat cheaper because my credit card is totally smoking at this point. We will wait for at least another couple of weeks before even considering it because I need the front paw totally and completely HEALED before I open up any other holes on Drake. His record of NOT HEALING makes me really reluctant to do anything - but he is obviously in a lot of discomfort from that knee, and Dr. P says that if left untreated he'll also likely get really bad arthritis.

anyway.. I've got to go run and pick up more Evo for dinner but I wanted to send the update out :-)

Drake's next appointment is in a week (wow, a WHOLE week!)

FL

Oh man!! Now it's a cruciate ligament surgery?? I hope it hangs on 'til you can get it fixed, or turns out to be something else and more self-healing!

Hugs to you, Drake and some aloe for your poor credit card! :P

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

I heard back from Dr. Couto this morning (I love that man!) and he and a couple of his colleagues will look at the "rads" (doc talk for x-rays I guess? - or is that what digital x-rays go by?) on Monday. He pointed out that Greyhounds are a breed known for NOT developing cruciate tears (except in some racing situations when bumped outside in the heat of the chase).

I think that if he has developed the tear, it's from months and months of abnormal use of the rear leg and maybe from occasionally either losing his balance or being knocked around by his sister (she's a bully sometimes - especially when there are treats involved).

Speaking of treats - this morning I went to give the heartworm meds (yum - interceptor treats!) AND that little spoiled brat (Drake) didn't want to eat his. It went from being a treat to "Where is my creamcheese, peanut butter or liverwurst? I tossed it into his mouth about 8 times anyway but he kept spitting it out. Finally DH gave him a little bit of twinkie (ewww) with it. I was shocked he refused the interceptor though - I guess he figured it was a Baytril, or he figured we would cave in and give him a better value treat with it. LOL

Cheers,

FL

If we won on the lottery we'd help you out.....you are special people. Fingers crossed we win BIG and SOON * sigh*

What a lovely boy Drake is...

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest eaglflyt

Oh my ... I'm thrilled that Drake's front paw is almost healed ... FINALLY! Hooray!!! :yay :yay :yay

Now, I hope Dr. Cuoto has good news about Drake's x-rays and that he doesn't need another surgery. But, if he does, we'll keep praying and hoping for a financial windfall for you. (((HUGS)))

Shelly in OK