Drake's Healing Progress - After Mass Removal From Both Left Legs

Guest FLT

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off Topic - am I the only one who finds this sort of communication frustrating?

I sometimes wonder... this is the email I got from the owner of the company I work for after I emailed to let them know that I will be in late on Friday because that's when Drake's next appointment is scheduled for.

"FL, I do not want you to think I am heartfelt; however you really need to start scheduling these appointments on your own time. It is starting to affect the company. If your dog is more importune than your job that is helping pay for your dog, I understand and you need to consider what you would like to do. I am truly sorry it is coming down to this but, I have been very patient and understanding and I am sure you know we need to keep things running around here without any problems. Please let me know within the next three days how we are going to handle this matter. If there is anything I can help you with please let me know at once. You can call me with any problems and/or concerns you may have with this matter."

I can't say that they haven't been somewhat patient with all the appointments - but what gets me is how poor a communicator this woman is. The last time I pissed her off with something I emailed her an apology and got an angry reply telling me not to be so smut! (she was trying to say smug - and I think she was angry because she had to look up some of the vocabulary I used in my very polite email). I never really know what to say to her because she often takes things wrong (probably because of the language barrier).

The really frightening thing? She and I attended the same high school, and graduated within a year of each other. She grew up in the same state I did, and did attend some college.

I did email her back, but only after I read it twice and changed most of the words to the simplest synonyms I could think of.

Awww - Drake likes the kisses!

He says thank you :-)

:kiss2 to Drake; hope that you get better & better each day!

Sheesh! That is a challenging communication (poor thing! I bet she is very aware and uncomfortable about her lack of skills!) on many levels. I understand both your sides on this one. I hope you can work it out without losing your job!

As for Drake, it sounds like he's doing well. Does it look like the front paw is doing any better on the antibiotics, yet? When he kicked, could he have pulled some skin against the edges of the bandage or something? I can just imagine that, sort of getting a burn on an already tenderized area. But, the thrill of the kick!! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest eaglflyt
I did some online research first to decide what type of restraint system I was interested in getting, and then was glad to find that the pet store I prefer to support (a small, high quality independent in Maryland that supports the Therapy / Service dog program we volunteer with) carried the system. They let me try the harnesses on my dogs in the store before purchasing, so I was sure I was getting the right size. We wound up buying the XL for all three (at the time) hounds. Chester was a big 85 pounder, and Kaylee is an average sized 65 pound female - but the XL harness is adjustable enough to meet both of their needs. Drake is right in between, so he was easy.

This is the one I decided on, and I've been VERY happy with it. Everything is adjustable, but still very sturdy. Kurgo Zip Line Restraint System

Of course I hope not to get into another accident at all, but it's also very useful because when I open the door I don't have to worry about the hounds making a break for it before I can get a leash on them. I also used it when the van broke down with Kaylee and me out at the dog park. It took 3 hours or so before the tow truck came, and I was able to have her safely attached inside the van with all the doors and the rear open for maximum breezes, and I could sit next to her and read a book without worrying about her deciding to jump down and go somewhere.

Drake is really good about jumping up into the van and then coming back to me at the door for me to put the harness on him and clip him to his line. Of course, we get a lot of practice lately! LOL

The only draw back with multiple hounds is that if you have enough line for them to lie down, you also have enough for them to get tangled around each other - but I always travel with multiples muzzled, so even if they get hung up a bit and snappy - no harm will happen except maybe from paw/claw damage. So far they've always been able to untangle themselves pretty well. There is also an attachment that hooks onto the seatbelts, so I could strap them into individual halves of the van if I needed to.

I'm so glad you have your Clavamox (great price, too) and that you and Drake are home and settling in to the treatment so he can clear the infection and finish healing!

I would like to ask ... where did you find your canine restraint system? We plan on getting one, too.

Thanks for the restraining system info. I've got it added to my list of things to order. I'm so sorry about the email from your employer ... that's a really difficult situation. I'm hoping Drake is continuing to improve every single day.

Update: Drake went in this morning for his bandage change (and I avoided getting fired this week by swapping my day off on Thursday for Friday, so now I've got a long weekend as a bonus!).

Our normal surgeon was out of town (taking his kids to camp) so we had Dr. Thomas replace the bandage on the front leg only. I asked her to leave the rear leg alone because she'd have looked at it and unwrapped it and he'd have popped it open. I am willing to unwrap it next Tuesday, after the antibiotics have had more time to work - but not just yet.

Because Dr. Thomas didn't know what it looked like before, she didn't have any comment about how the front paw looks now. I will say that both of the last bandage changes have been good in that Drake has not soaked through the bandages either time (that's a new milestone!) and he's using the front paw more. Hopefully that means that the antibiotics are doing their job, and his poor paw is finally getting some GOOD healing in.

Looking forward to our next visit on Tuesday.

Cheers to all,

FL

Glad you're avoiding the chopping block at work!

Yeay! Drake sounds good. Putting weight on the foot must be a sign it hurts less, right? *thumbs up!*

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Update: Just back in from Drake's latest bandage change and wound check. Dr. Prostredny has not managed to hook up with Dr. Couto yet to discuss the sugar treatment (and I still don't have details myself). Another 2 weeks of antibiotics to go before we would really get going with that anyway, so no worries there.

Dr. P thought that the front paw is showing at least small signs of closing up a tiny bit.. any progress is great progress in my eyes! He even backed off of the grafting suggestion for this week at least. He also said he thinks it can go longer between bandage changes - which is GREAT. I've noticed that the last several visits Drake has NOT seeped through his bandages prior to us going to the vet.. so I am very pleased.

The rear leg is still oozing a bit though, so it's a good thing we didn't unwrap it when it looked healed last week.

Drake is back in dark blue bandages front and rear left legs - looking handsome!

Next appointment is Monday, 8/10 .. nice to not have to worry about scheduling it while I'm out of town for the curling tournament I'm going to go play in - hubby doesn't have to deal with the appointment. Unfortunately Monday the 10th is a day he cannot take the appointment, so I had to email my bosses again and explain that after being off on Friday, I won't be in on time on Monday. I did offer to work a full day from whenever I come in on Monday, and I'm hoping that they will accept that offer instead of firing me. I guess we'll find out!!

Drake says thanks to everyone's well wishes - it is apparent to me that his paw IS starting to feel better, and I think it MUST be healing because of the way he's been acting. Thank you!

FL

I hope that Drake is finally turning the corner! :goodluck

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Update: Well, as I sort of suspected - trying to change my schedule 2 hours later on Monday was enough to push work off the deep end, and they let me go today. It does make getting to vet appointments easier!

I did confirm that they would not object to me filing for unemployment, so unless they go back on their word I should be able to manage (especially if Drake has his bandage changes only every 6 days instead of every 3 - that was adding up!).

The things we deal with for our pups!!

FL

Well, let's hear it for making it easier for bandage changes!

It's not up to them to say yea or nay about unemployment insurance (tho they can try, of course) . . . . file right away.

Scritches to the Handsome One.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

What Patsy said about unemployment. If they fire you for anything other than gross misconduct (as in assaulting another employee, stealing from the company, etc.), you're eligible. Hope this was not a job you wanted to keep.

So glad to hear your pupper is showing some improvement.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well they had reduced me to part-time a few months ago, and that sent me back to school. My goal is to start full-time in the RN program in the Spring anyway, so I was going to leave this job in another 5 months or so. I'm not entirely broken up about it, no (although annoyed - it isn't like I didn't have the PTO built up to cover Drake's visits).

I've got classes scheduled for the fall (just Tuesdays and Thursdays for half a day each) and hopefully that won't keep unemployment from covering me. They do a phone interview to discuss school if you disclose it on your application, which of course I did. I'm not pressed though. I suspect I'll get coverage without too much difficulty, and if not - well I was already down to part-time anyway and I'll find at least part-time work if I can, although I'll never make what I was making.

Hubby and I knew they were getting grumpy about all the vet visits (remember hubby was in Germany for about a month and wasn't able to take any of them off my hands then) and figured that whenever his work load wouldn't allow him to take the next one, that might be it for my job.

So in short, I'll sure miss the money. I'd rather work than collect unemployment - but I was going to transition to full-time student in January anyway (assuming I get into the RN program). I'll do my due diligence in trying to find work, but I'm not torn up over it. We were sort of expecting it to go this way.

Guest Cris_M

My understanding is that unemployment monies now cover your being in school. In fact, it keeps you from having to do the mandatory three interviews a week.

Meanwhile, tell Drake to keep getting better. Having Mom home all the time might be just the boost he needs.

Cris - that would be great news re: unemployment monies. Fingers crossed!

I love the idea that having mommy around more would be the boost Drake needs. Everything for a reason, eh?

Update:

Drake must know when it's vet appointment day, because after hubby left the house and before I got up to feed them and get Drake to the vet he started chewing through his front bandage again. I guess the "no chew" stuff got dirty enough over almost a week that the bitter apple was masked by dirt, LOL. (or maybe wears off?). He didn't get very far, and didn't expose his wound or anything.

This morning's appointment went well. Dr. Prostredny said that it was clear there was some healing going on (although it's painfully slow healing) and that over the last couple of weeks (since we started the antibiotics that Dr. Couto said we should use) the front paw has healed up about 40% of the way. There was less drainage than there ever has been, even though we went 6 days between visits.

Dr. P has not been able to get together with Dr. Couto yet (they keep having opposite schedules and can't take each other's calls) regarding the sugar treatment. So I offered (and Dr. P accepted) to try and reach Dr. Couto myself, since I have a much more flexible schedule - especially right now. I'll get the details and relay to Dr. P, and then if there are any questions we will try again to get the two Docs in touch with each other directly.

I also asked Dr. P if they were hiring, LOL. He was aghast to hear that I had lost my job (and felt really bad about it, I think) - but I assured him it wasn't his fault and that I appreciate all the flexibility and consideration he has shown me over the last few months. He didn't think they had any openings, but I'll double check with the front office as well.

Because the drainage was so considerably less, Dr. P said we should go a week before the next bandage change and then realized he is off on Monday and said that we will do it Tuesday. So wow - going 8 days this time! Hopefully we'll have BIG healing in that time.

Cheers,

FL

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday's vet visit went pretty well.

Rear Leg: Dr. Prostredny saw no discharge in the rear leg bandage and could not see any defect on the leg that would be a problem, so he left it unwrapped. We both have our fingers crossed. I was actually afraid to post the update, because I'm mortally afraid that as soon as I post this he will pop it open anyway. We made it through 30 hours so far though - so here goes! He wants to lick it (and having had it mostly wrapped up for 3 months I don't blame him a bit) - and we have been letting him do it only a little before making him stop. Drake is so good, he listens pretty well to us on it. The area that I'm afraid will pop open is moist looking, and has a couple of divots which were the drainage points in the past. I really have my fingers crossed that he can keep that leg sealed though, because his poor leg is so chaffed from the bandages that I really feel awful at the thought of re-wrapping him again.

Front Paw: The front paw had minimal healing (but some!) - Dr. P says this is undoubtedly the slowest healing wound he has ever seen in his extensive experience - however it has healed down to slightly smaller than the size of a dime now. He says that the healing tissue looks healthy, and he can't figure out why it doesn't just close up overnight.

We have only a couple more days of antibiotics, so hopefully all the buggies are DEAD and gone by now.

Next up is reaching back out to Dr. Couto to find out how to do the Sugar treatment as we are about there.

Drake says hi to all his ladies ;-)