Drake's Healing Progress - After Mass Removal From Both Left Legs

Guest FLT

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug I'm sorry you & Drake are facing this after all you've been through.

"Dr. Couto said that amputation is more of a surgeon's call at this point, and the surgeon I have been using is very amp positive."

Does that mean Dr. Couto feels there's cancer there?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I think that Dr. Couto is saying that the scrape results were inconclusive, and he isn't sure.

The problem is that there is absolutely no reason that can be physically seen that his original wound will not grow skin, and the only likely explanation for that that also takes into account a second wound opening up for no good reason is that there is probably tumor regrowth and spread in the paw.

It's a tough call.

FL

:grouphug I'm sorry you & Drake are facing this after all you've been through.

"Dr. Couto said that amputation is more of a surgeon's call at this point, and the surgeon I have been using is very amp positive."

Does that mean Dr. Couto feels there's cancer there?

:(

Assuming everybody's considered and tried different antibiotics and whatnot.

I'm sorry your and Drake's ordeal isn't over yet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Batmom,

Thanks for mentioning the antibiotics.. yes, we've done a bunch.

Prescribed on 5/22/09

Ciprofloxin 250mg - every 12 hours for 2 weeks

Cephalexin 750mg - every 8 hours for 2 weeks

Prescribed on 6/11/09

Ciprofloxin 250mg - every 12 hours for 2 weeks

Trimeth-Sulfa 480mg - every 12 hours for 2 weeks

Prescribed on 6/14/09

Azithromycin 250mg - one per day for 3 weeks

Also prescribed on 6/14/09 - but told not to start until almost done with the Cipro and Trimeth-Sulfa, so started on 6/23 or so

Doxycyline 200mg - every 12 hours for 6 weeks.

Since then we've also done another round of Azithromycin, as well as he is currently back on Cephalexin.

Do you see any type of antibiotic that we might want to consider? I'm certainly willing to try it!

Thank you again,

FL

Guest eaglflyt

I am so very sorry.

Is there any possibility that the second area is a pressure sore from the constant bandaging? That seems like it would be a strong possibility, imho. Like Xan, maybe leaving the leg unbandaged for a time might help ... just to see if it would make a change before proceeding with surgery?

I'm still praying for Drake, you and your family. I know you'll make the very best decision, as you've been doing all along. Drake is blessed to have you!

You certainly have done everything to try and avoid surgery. Let us know how the visit goes on Thursday and whether or not OSU will do the surgery.

Continuing to send thoughts of healing and strength your way.

Dunno if it would still be worth trying the gentamicin. It's another gram-negative attacker, a little different than the ones you've used so far but also pretty hard on the system.

:(

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hmm.. Gentamicin seems to be used on aerobic gram-negative beasties.. but I don't know about the huge list of negative reactions, and the fact it needs to be given IV, IM or SubQ.

I'll ask Dr. Prostredny about it next week (Hubby doing the visit on Thursday so I don't have to miss class). I don't expect to hear back from Dr. Couto until he is back from Spain.

Thanks for all the other suggestions. I am not comfortable with unwrapping the bandages at home because every time that happened on the back leg we got a rampant infection, and I don't want to set Drake back again.

When Drake goes to OSU I'm going to see about moving Kaylee to "camp" for a few days so I can remove rugs, furniture, etc.. from the upstairs where the dogs hang, and degerm everything I can possibly manage. Will also replace the rug outright.

Update:

DH did the vet trip today, but said there was no change in "old faithful" but thinks he might have said that the little hole was sealed up. DH thinks that Dr. P still is keen for the amputation (and I believe that!) I really wish I had gone, because DH (however wonderful) doesn't ask the questions I'd have asked, LOL.

DH kindly scheduled the next visit for Tuesday, and I've got class that day so he's planning to take Drake again (to take some of the burden off me) - except that'll be two visits in a row that I'm not there for. ::sigh:: I can't fault his kindness, but I would have pushed for a Wednesday appointment instead of Tuesday so I could take him.

Still no word from Dr. Couto, who is of course still in Spain.

FL

Guest Energy11
Update:

DH did the vet trip today, but said there was no change in "old faithful" but thinks he might have said that the little hole was sealed up. DH thinks that Dr. P still is keen for the amputation (and I believe that!) I really wish I had gone, because DH (however wonderful) doesn't ask the questions I'd have asked, LOL.

DH kindly scheduled the next visit for Tuesday, and I've got class that day so he's planning to take Drake again (to take some of the burden off me) - except that'll be two visits in a row that I'm not there for. ::sigh:: I can't fault his kindness, but I would have pushed for a Wednesday appointment instead of Tuesday so I could take him.

Still no word from Dr. Couto, who is of course still in Spain.

FL

Have you tried to contact Drs. Marin or Vilar? They are on Dr. Couto's team. Just wondering? They could certainly help you, as well. Good Luck on this, and you are in our prayers!

A cautious YEAY!!! :confetti If the smaller hole is healing, that should give you hope about overall chances of healing! That's what I'm going to concentrate on, anyway. :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest eaglflyt

Great news! I agree with Xan. I'm hoping for Drake's wounds to heal. Blessings and hugs to you and your hubby ... and of course, Drake, too! : )

"Have you tried to contact Drs. Marin or Vilar? They are on Dr. Couto's team. Just wondering? They could certainly help you, as well. Good Luck on this, and you are in our prayers!"

Good point! I went ahead and emailed the team as well.. hopefully they can get back to me in a day or two.

I think it is great news that the second hole may have healed up, or at least is pretending to at this point.. it makes me a little more comfortable that Drake should be able to heal the great big surgical wounds from an amputation. If "old faithful" was going to heal, it would have already.

Today is 19 weeks since surgery.. I really thought this thread would be a quickie 2 or maybe 3 week thread! Crazy, eh?

Thanks to everyone for your support throughout this crazy roller coaster. We still need to schedule the surgery, then do another round of ultrasound and xrays to make sure nothing has developed internally.

FL

Drake has a 10:30 am appointment for Wednesday at OSU. DH is taking Drake to his local appointment with Dr. Prostredny at 8:30am on Tuesday (this morning - guess I should go to bed, eh?)

After I get home from class I'll pack up the pups and hit the road to Ohio. We'll be staying at the Varsity Inn North again, same place I stayed last time I took Drake to OSU.

This time I"ll be bringing Kaylee as well, so Dr. Marin can collect samples for the greyhound database project she's working on.

DH will get a couple of days off from dog duties, and I'll have 'em with me in Ohio.

If anyone wants to meet up, drop me a line :-)

FL

All fingers crossed!

Update:

Drake has been tested and assessed by a variety of folks at OSU today.

Chest Xrays clean

Abdominal Ultrasound normal

Xray of rear leg - no abnormal things with bones, but shows inflammation.

They are taking the rear leg problem I've been complaining about very seriously indeed - unlike Dr. P who feels that it's just tendinitis and he would adapt as a tripod.

They prefer to put Drake under (tomorrow) and do a needle tap of the rear knee joint to send for testing, along with another biopsy of the front paw, and an attempt to repair the front paw defect. Sounds good to us! We wanted to try the repair a few weeks ago, before that "other" hole opened up anyway.

I sure hope this works!

FL

Looks like if all goes well, they'll keep him overnight tomorrow night and release him on Friday. I'll stay in the area and just take him back with me then.

Thanks again for all the well wishes!

FL