Beau- Ibd

It's been a long and rocky road for sweet Beau. This dog has been through so much is his short 4.5 years.

As you all know, after what seemed like eternity of testing of every kind and many, many dollars later- we opted for (WOULD NOT DO AGAIN) open abdominal surgery- at the time we thought we were doing the right thing.

This started in Nov. '8. Beau went from being picky with breakfast to waking us up in the middle of the night with alien sounds coming from his tummy. I could hear it a room away. :unsure . Then he stopped eating breakfast. Next came dinner. It was going down hill fast. We trieed EVERYTHING. The things we were trying to feed him, unbeknownst to us, we were trying to feed him the things that were making him so sick. We did not know he could not tolerate all the foods he had previously eaten with no problem.

Beau had lost a lot of weight - he was down to 52.4 pounds. I was so afraid I was going to lose him. I tried to keep the faith, but I was scared. Out of my mind with fear. He was a shell with skin and fur. While this was happenening we were tending to Polli's cancer.

I received a ton of support from GT, especially AJ, Hollys2hounds, Batmom and MANY OTHERs.

My vet started Beau on 40mg of pred. Then we added 50mg of imuran and another 10mg of pred= 50mg.

Beau started eating because the inflammation was going down and the pred was kicking in. He needed to pee every 3 hours so we also fed him like clockwork, every 3 hours, round the clock 7 days a week. It paid off. Every week we took him into the vet for his weekly weigh in and with bated breath we watched the scale move up. Baby steps. We felt that as long as he did not loose anymore, it was a small victory.

In March, when he hit 60 pounds, we cut back his pred to 40 and then 30mg. We eliminated the 3AM pee and feeding. We started counting his calories to make sure he did not exceed 1500 calories as we did not want him to gain too much weight. Although he is the same weight as his racing career, becasue of the loss of muscle tone, it was redistributed and he looks stocky, but he is only 63.4 pounds

In April we cut his pred to 20 mg. Last week we started imuran every other day. We will take it down from here and hope to GOD that we will be able to manage his IBD with just food alone.

Every day is a blessing. We watch like hawks that Beau does not get a crumb of something the other dogs have. They get their chicken strip treats & milkbones. Beau gets his tilapia jerky and z/d cookies. We know that a crumb of food that he should not have could bring on a flare. We are extremely cautious.

Our crazy, happy boy has returned. When I think of where we have been and where we are now, I am amazed about his resilence. He has been through so much. With us by his side, every step of the way. We had to get this under control.

For those of you who are going through this, my heart breaks for you- but do not dispair. There is treatment, there is hope.

We never take any day for granted with this disease and we never let our guard down. It is a way of life- it's worth the work.

Beau @ 52.4 pounds

DSC_0960.jpg

Beau today

GIG025.jpg

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

So glad to hear Beau is doing so good. You and DH have an amazing resilience, too, for making it through all this. This is for you: :clap

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest greyt2love

Robin, Beau looks great ! Such a rocky road you were on for so long! I'm happy it's maybe getting smoother now!

Robin, those pictures bring tears to my eyes! Seeing how very thin he was, you can just feel the fear and frustration that you and your DH lived with for so long. And then seeing Beau as his happy, healthy self---well, it is a perfect testament to your love and determination. And his!

And in going through all of this, and chronicling it so thoroughly, who knows who else you have helped, or might help in the future?

There is a special place in heaven for you!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest BiancasMom

Wow! Way to go! You are such a great Greyhound owner! I know how frustrating IBD can be (I had an Australian Shepherd with IBD and other Immune Mediated Disease). It is fantastic that you guys have made it this far. Beau looks great!

I'm so glad he's doing better. I know how hard the eternal vigilience is on everyone, but it is so worth it to have your pup back. Hugs to beautiful Beau!

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

What a journey Robin. What lucky boy he is to have the family he does. I'm so glad to see that Beau face back.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

He looks wonderful! I am so glad you finally found out what works for him, that is the key. Fletcher's IBD is not nearly as severe as Beau's but we went through some rough times until I figured out what he could eat, what to avoid. I hope he can eventually get off most or all of his meds, but the important thing is, he feels good! :bighug

Guest zoolaine

Awww sweat Beau looks greyt! All of you love, work and crazy scheduling has worked out. Hope he continues to do well.

Thank you for the update, Robin! Beau has come a long way and it wouldn't have happened if he didn't have such wonderful, committed, and determined humans who love him - I remember all the posts about sleepless nights, utter exhaustion, gut-wrenching worry and crazy routines just to come home and feed him...

You guys rock. :kiss2

And :yay :yay :yay :yay for Beau!! :D:confetti:banana

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

What a wonderful update Robin! Beau looks fabulous!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

It is a way of life- it's worth the work.

Exactly. Well said.

I almost lost Minnie to IBD/HGE before she was three. She's now 10. :)

I hope Beau can get right off the meds, and that he continues to be your happy, goofy, slightly chunky :P Beau.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest BoogieDown

I was so happy when I saw a picture of handsome, healthy Beau in another post the other day. He looks so wonderful.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Beau looks so good now! I know it's been a long and rocky road but as you said, it paid off in the end. Hugs to you and Beau!

Guest Hollys2hounds

Glad Beau is doing so well. You are Rich are wonderful "parents" to your pack.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ROBIN... YOU DESERVE IT!

f_yellow

Guest Judynyc

Thats a truly wonderful result after all you have all been through. He does look great!! :nod

Having lived with an IBD dog for 7 yrs, I also know about how difficult it can be to make sure that they don't eat anything other than their prescribed foods. Over time, and as her insides healed, months into it...I began to allow her very small amounts of her favorite treats and she was able to handle them. But every case is different and we each need to figure it out for our own dog's situation.

Good Luck!! :)