Bleeding "quick"

When Elsie had her dental, she also had her nails done and they cut to the quick which is bleeding after walks.

Is it OK to put EMT on it after I clean it?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I prefer powders too--if you don't have styptic, then you could use baby powder or cornstarch. ETA: powders seem to stop the bleeding faster.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

OK- as far as baby powder, which I do have- sprinkle some it on?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

when the above didnt work for me, someone suggested a wet tea bag. Worked!!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Ok will try the powder. I don't have unscented, I guess it will be OK.

Someone had said a bar of soap rubbed on it to stop works too.

Ground black pepper will also stop quick bleeding. Pack it around in the "hole." Probably anything that will coagulate and stop the blood flow will work.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest kbone
i take the cornstarch a lot of it put it on a paper towel and apply pressure for like 5-10 minutes. that should stop it

Yep apply pressure for about 5 minutes after packing the powder in it. Otherwise they walk it of or lick it.

Guest FullMetalFrank

When I quicked Chelsa a while back, I was having trouble with it starting to bleed again after she went outside; so we stopped it with cornstarch, left some cornstarch kind of piled up on the end of the nail, and moistened that with some liquid bandage, which formed a seal when dry. Then she got a pawz bootie on when she went out. I had to do that for about a day and a half.

I think everyone should have, in their doggy medical kit, a vial of "Quik Stop." It's pre-ground styptic powder. Great stuff!!!

I cut my parents' little old lady dog's nails too short a few months ago while my Mom (who is almost 80, and not up to the task) was on the phone and I was visiting. I'm yelling MOM, COME QUICK (the blood is going on the oriental rug) but she is ignoring me...what a MESS!!! We used flour, 'cause I didn't remember buying them the Quik Stop, but now I get it out in advance and just keep it with me while I'm clipping!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

i always have some quickstop around. these greys are ALWAYS bleeding! emt gel seems to do absoutley nothing.

anyway for the quick of a nail, don't feak out, they do bleed like!@#$)%*&, and they may start up again even after being packed w/ quickstop. consider using a dremel to keep the nails short now that you have had them trimmed down. remember once of week shaping w/ the dremel.

Guest 4baddogs

I was going to start a thread about this today!

About 4 years ago I was cutting Flashy's nails - he had the thickest, blackest nails ever. I hit the quick and he started bleeding, and bleeding and bleeding. I always keep tissues close by just in case. That didn't work.

We tried liguid Quick Stop. Nothing. We tried powder Quick Stop. Nothing. We tried soap, corn starch, flour, a wash cloth with pressure apllied, NOTHING would stop the bleeding! Out of pure desperation I grabbed my liguid nail acrylic and acrylic powder (this is the stuff used for filling acrylic nails) and made him a little acrylic nail! It worked like a charm!!

Since then, I've used this process on Kirby who bleeds like a maniac because he panics and his blood pressure goes up so he "squirts" all over the place and just last night I had to use it on Zoe. Zoe seems to love it because she acts like she's getting a manicure anyway. :)

I told our vet about it when I did it with Flash and he said "wow, that's a really good idea!"