Loca Update

back to the vet this evening as Loca was dehydrated. vet noticed swollen glands and big tonsils. blood test ruled out lymphoma. while i was there, the results from the culture arrived. for those of you who know about this stuff, she has pseudomonas aeruginosa and group G strep; both very difficult to treat. bladder xray ruled out bladder stones. no more baytril for loca! she is now taking clamavox and tomorrow i am picking up injectable antibiotics, which she'll need 2x a day. we've discontinued the metacam and tramadol for the time being.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Yikes!

I hope she feels better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest KyGrey

Oh Robin, that girlie did always want to be difficult different.

I hope she feels better soon. Poor baby. She has to be miserable. Hugs and scritches to her.

Guest vahoundlover

Double yikes!! I didn't know dogs could get strep. I hope the new meds do the trick. Keeping fingers and toes crossed Miss Loca will be feeling better soon!

Guest KRKWMU

Thank goodness it isn't lymphoma. You scared me for a second there. Hope Loca starts to feel better really soon with the new meds on board. Poor girl. :wub:

Guest Energy11

Wow! sooo much for one little one to take!

She is in our prayers!! Love, Dee, Curfew and the rest of our GANG of greyts!

For God's sakes Robin, I sure hope this gets under control so that beautiful girl can get back to dancing on the table and raiding your closet.

I didn't know they could get strep either. Are you going to be okay injecting?

I'm only asking because I have to do it with clients, but I could never do it to one of the pups

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

It's about you time your poor girlie caught a break! Keeping you both in my thoughts!! :goodluck :goodluck :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I hope your wild child feels better soon.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest myjazzy

But of course Loca couldn't just have any old infection. :lol She's special, so she gets special germs. :rolleyes:

I hope the new antibiotics get rid of the nasty infections and she's back to causing trouble feeling like herself again soon. :wub:

Guest nerak254
Double yikes!! I didn't know dogs could get strep. I hope the new meds do the trick. Keeping fingers and toes crossed Miss Loca will be feeling better soon!

They can. I had a friend when the girls were in school that had strep going round and round in her house. The Dr finally told her to get the dog checked and that was where the problem was. They can get pink eye too!

Gosh, Robin, be careful of that pseudomonas! I'm sure you've looked it up by now. "Yikes" is right. :eek Can't even imagine what it must be like to have strep along with it. Does Loca have a fever?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest jcbradley11

My goodness!! She is one sick pup...poor baby. I sure hope she's feeling well soon and you can get this under control

Guest multiplicity

Awwwww, poor Loca.

Just curious, how does a hound get strep throat...what's the mode of transmission?

Wow, it's been a real challenge getting a handle on this. I hope the meds do the trick, and she is on a steady road to recovery.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest FullMetalFrank

Loca, you be a good girl and get well, OK? You're scaring us! I want to hear that you are back to your silly, wonderful self very soon. Robin, hang in there; she will get better! I hope the new meds kick in quickly.

Awwwww, poor Loca.

Just curious, how does a hound get strep throat...what's the mode of transmission?

it's not her throat. it's her urinary tract. possibly into her bladder too. the vet said that she has been seeing a of of bad infections this year. she thinks it's due to the really damp weather with some warm days thrown in.

Gosh, Robin, be careful of that pseudomonas! I'm sure you've looked it up by now. "Yikes" is right. :eek Can't even imagine what it must be like to have strep along with it. Does Loca have a fever?

no, her temperature was normal. the symptoms i noticed were, besides the UTI stuff, was tiring quickly during even the shortest walks and shortness of breath, besides the usual UTI type stuff. i guess one of the problems is that it's resistant to almost all antibiotics. gentimicin is one of the few antibiotics that can treat it, but my vet was afraid that drug would wreck Loca's kidneys, so she's on a combo of two drugs that should be safer.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sending you well wishes and paws crossed in prayer...........

we know about bad infections....... still have no idea what why or how ....... but if Cofax didn't have a mom that watched her like a hawk......... she might not be with us now.

Her infection went from her top to bottom.. no fever....- only sign was she threw up her dinner and breakfast (everything was still whole - not digested from the night before - means it didn't get into the stomach) no hesitation - within 20mins she was at the hospital - lots of tests and xrays - they had to open her up and literally take out her bowel and hand wash it - it was so bad. I don't know everything they did - but whatever it was - I couldn't have been more scared and more grateful. Before she went in - they gave her about a 50/50 change if that.

I'm glad you're quick on things too........ and with lots of prayers (like everyone here did for Cofax)....... I'm sure you'll both pull through it. Be strong, think positive and give and get lots of hugs.

:grouphug

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .