Lifespan

Guest wjamg

Guest wjamg

For those of you who have had greys several years, whats the average life expectancy of a grey? I get so happy to see the birthdays of the teen dogs on here! I didn't adopt my girl until she was six, she's my first greyhound and I hope for a long and happy life for her. I have researched online but I would like to know people's experiences..how old did your oldest one live?

My first girl was two weeks shy of her twelfth birthday when I lost her. My girl now will be 10 in May and has absolutely no issues that I know of :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Spencers_Greyt
I used to tell potential adopters that many will make it to 8-14 years of age, with most in the 10-12 year range with proper care. I'd guess an average of 11-12 years.

My group says 10-12 years too.

Guest TexasGreytMom

Our sweet Mega lived to be almost 13. Our two now are just 7 and 2-1/2 - hoping and praying for many, many more years with them!

My oldest has been 13.5 years.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Savannah passed at 13 yrs, 9 mos.

Simon is 13 yrs, 7 mos old now and still kicking.

Both raced but retired at age 2.

When people ask me about life spans I usually tell them that, generally speaking, if the dog makes it past the "bone cancer window" of age 7 to 10 then they'll usually live to be 12 to 14.

Edited by ElizabethGPAPS

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest greytbookert

Our Booker was 13 and 11 months when he died. Mama was 14 and 6 months.

Our current hounds ages are 14+, 12, 11 and 10. I've been told the average was 10- 12 years but 14 isn't as uncommon as it used to be years and years ago.

Guest LynnM

I tell people either 7-9 or 12-14. It seems that those are the two ranges where many losses happen. Of course, some happen between 9 and 12, but in my experience, it's either early losses (bone cancer, oftentimes) or the dog lives to a ripe old age.

Lynn

I lost one at 8 and one at 5.

But I currently have a 13.5, two 11.5 (one with heart disease and hypertension and she still keeps going) and a young'un at 5.

My vet said their expectancy in his opinion is 8. But most of the adoption groups I've been around have said 12-14.

Guest KennelMom

Our oldest have lived to be 14 years old (Annie, Erin, Grandpa & Star). Annie and Erin were weeks from being 15. :( We've lost a couple at 13. When we lost Elvis at 12 I was devastated b/c he was "so young." Then we lost Harmony at 6 and Bodhi at 3 and I learned that EVERY day is precious because tomorrow is promised to none of us...not even our dogs.

If asked by someone what the lifespan of a greyhound is, I say 10-12 years.

Edited by KennelMom

Tinsel was 11 years old when she passed away.

I usually tell people their life expectancy is about 10-14 years.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest WYOwhy

Never long enough. My Salvador was six when he came to live with me, and he left me WAY too soon (stupid 7-10 bone cancer window). Avery was turning three when he moved in, and I've taken a page from Trudy's book and told him he is not allowed to die.

Phoenix lived to be 16, and Shari was 14 1/2. All my others have survived to ages 9 1/2 to 10 due to osteo. :cry1

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest FullMetalFrank

So is it true that there is a "window" for OS? I did not know that! I guess I might breathe a little easier when Frank gets past 10. Of course there are other cancers that can turn up, too...

I think of the life expectancy more in terms of quality than quantity; as in you may get 12-14 years, or maybe only 4 or 5; you really never know, just make the most of the time you do have together. And try not to dwell on things that "might" happen; worrying too much robs your life of joy.

Guest Cris_M
I tell people either 7-9 or 12-14. It seems that those are the two ranges where many losses happen. Of course, some happen between 9 and 12, but in my experience, it's either early losses (bone cancer, oftentimes) or the dog lives to a ripe old age.

Lynn

Fascinating idea. A lot like people who seem to have the same ranges. Get past that initial "early heart attack/stroke/cancer/?" phase and they tend to have a window of health for several more years. No reason it should be different for our hounds. Thanks for sharing this.

Guest FrostyBottoms
i've read here somewhere about one that has reached 20.

That was Jeannie....sadly she passed after her 20th birthday....I thought of her when I saw this thread.

20 years! That is my goal for my guys who are both 5 (well, Vinny will be next month)

Guest KennelMom
i've read here somewhere about one that has reached 20.

That was Jeannie....sadly she passed after her 20th birthday....I thought of her when I saw this thread.

20 years! That is my goal for my guys who are both 5 (well, Vinny will be next month)

Though her age was only a guess, not a fact since no one really knew who she was or read her tattoo...