Mokka Is Poorly

Guest IrskasMom

Hugs and more Prayers for Mokka ( spelled your Name wrong the first time... sorry ) . Is there an Update on Mokka???

:grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning :)

Mokka was still very whizzy earlier on today and she stumbled a few times (and fell over once). She seems to be a little better as the hours are going on - certainly not normal but maybe a touch better than earlier. Her head is still tilted but maybe a few degrees less and at one point, she wandered into the kitchen when we were making some food. She started the Vivitonin last night so maybe that will start to do its good work shortly.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest TexasGreytMom

That's great news that she's a little better - any improvement is an improvement! Dora and Shelby send her hugs and well wishes!

Thanks for the update Bev....sending continued well wishes

The poor little darling hope she continues to improve and the medicine does it's job as soon as...

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

We dropped her off at the vets about an hour ago. She's got her food, her medication, a princess fleece, a stuffie (its a bit crispy but it will remind her of home :lol) and she's got a dog called Rosie and a cat called Raff for company. Plus the vet (Joanna).

She was definately a bit brighter this evening - wagging her tail and investigating at the vets. Joanna also thought she looked brighter (so that means its not just her Mummy imagining it) :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

MokMok came home from the vets last night and was happy to be home. She's not been very willing to eat for Joanna and she wouldn't wag her tail. Joanna was concerned about the lack of appetite and said that if Mokka doesn't start eating properly again within a few days, she'd be concerned that there was 'something else going on' (ie, in her brain).

Anyway.

Mokka did eat for her Mummy last night but what she's eating is a bit on the hit and miss side - she had 2 picnic eggs (for those of you who are unfamiliar, they are made of sausage meat and they have chopped egg in the middle), some fresh salmon and a couple of spoons of dog food from a pouch. This morning she had some more salmon and 3 picnic eggs and at 11.30am she had 2 of Marcs pork sausages. I'll be going shopping later and scouring the shelves for foods of any sort which may tempt her.

A query for anyone who has experience of doggie strokes - what have you noticed about appetite changes? I've noticed that Mokka seems to have slight difficulty in getting food into her mouth. I have been hand feeding but even then, she sometimes struggles to get the food from the front of her mouth, into a decent chewing position.

Guest Hannah

Our old whippett had a stroke. but hers was fairly severe, she couldnt stand, lost control of all bodily functions and generally we thought she was a gonner. However a few hours later and she was fine. no problems with eating (beyond the normal fussyness she always had) that I can remember. but it was 20ish years ago.

in more recent history exDH had an inner ear infection that went deep into his inner ear and became an infection in the balance bit of his ear. he couldnt walk in a straight line (reeled like a sailor) and if he was not holding onto something when he closed his eyes he fell over. he also found eating to be hard as the chewing made his ears feel very odd, caused movement in the inner ear fluid which upset the infection and made the room spin in several directions at once. He said it was like going on a white knuckle ride at alton towers but without the fun :rolleyes: I mention it because your description of Mokka reminds me of how he looked and acted at that time.

Bev, we are pretty sure our angel whippet Rocco had a series of small strokes. When he was having a bad day or three, soft food seemed to work best for him. It would take him forever to eat a bowl of hard food, but he could get soft food down in a reasonable amount of time, without wearing himself out. We would mix some water into the food so it could be lapped up if he chose.

Sending more hugs and scritchies for Mokka.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, I think 'lappable' food is the way forward for the time being. I am going to stock up on baby food, rice pudding etc and see how she does with that (although she can of course manage sausages....) :lol

I'm quite pleased with Mokka's progress today :)

Her head tilt is definately improved and although she's not rushing around playing (which is nothing new as she's fourteen and a half years old!), she's certainly more alert and she's not fallen over sideways when getting off the sofa or walking across the room. I was eating slice of bread a short while ago and I looked down and found Mokka sitting next to the computer chair looking hopeful so I rushed to get a jar of baby food that I've just purchased in Asda and shoved it in a bowl and she ate it - yayyyyyyy. She then ate some of the soft bread crusts too but there's an issue with her tongue co-ordination so she finds eating some things more difficult than others - but at least she's showing willing which is excellent news. When we had to pop out before, she barked when we were leaving so that was jolly good too!

I took some piccies of her earlier and will post them once I've taken them off the camera :)

Just had a bit of a catch up on the phone with the vet and she's very pleased with how things are now. She feels that the 'critical' period has passed and although there is a danger of another stroke (as is always the case once one has taken place), there's nothing we can do about that and there's no point worrying about it. We're going on holiday next Monday (yes - this is the long awaited holiday we were meant to have in October 07 but Darcy b*ggered that up :rolleyes::wub: ) and Joanna (vet) sees no reason why we shouldn't go. Our pet sitter will be here and plans are in place for immediate vet care should anything go a bit strange in our absence. Hopefully, by the time we're due to go, Mokka will be eating normally (or else poor Leanne will be in charge of providing ridiculous foods for her MokMok-ness to enjoy) :rolleyes:

Guest Vinnie

So glad to hear a good report on the oh so adorable Miss Mokka. Hopefully she will be her normal sweet self by the time you go on holiday. Can't wait to see the pix. Sending more prayers, hugs and scritches.

Just catching up with her sweetness, Miss Mokka. So glad she is showing such marked improvement! I am sure a "gourmet" diet will have her fit as a fiddle and barking for more! :lol Will keep her tucked in our prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead