Bad News Times Two

Fi's test came back and the lump is Lymphoma. She is going to have surgery again on Monday. The vet wants to remove the lump and have it biopsied so we can determine the type and stage. She will also have a chest xray to see if it has spread to the lungs. From there we will decide on treatment.

We also got bad news about Sammie the Mutt. She is in the early stages of chronic renal failure. We will put her on a prescription low protein food and monitor her blood work.

I'm so sorry that you received this bad news for both Fiona and Sammie. You must feel overwhelmed. Please know we are all here for support. You have an awful lot to deal with. :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm sorry you have 2 pups unwell. :( I hope all goes well with Fiona's procedures. :goodluck

Here is a website with links about kidney disease: dogaware. If Sammie is in the early stages, diet can help her a lot, but lowering protein may not be necessary. Lowering phosphorus is important while keeping the protein content up. Kind of a juggling act but the kidneys need protein to function. In the later stages, protein reduction is necessary but not so much at the beginning.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greytbookert

I'm so sorry!

Many prayers for you all.

The dogaware website listed by sweetdogs was crucial for me when our Mama was diagnosed with renal failure.

Sending prayers for both of your babies! This is tough.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I'm second gussing myself about Monday's procedure for Fiona. From everything I see on the internet, all I can hope for from chemo is a remision of maybe six months to a year with a roller coaster ride in between.

Last night Fi had a small epsiode of funny breathing and my house mate said that he has heard it a few times recently. I fear that the lungs are involved. I am considering asking the vet to just do a chest xray. If we see something there I don't think I would advance to the biopsy and staging.

I am so very sorry. As others have said, only you know your pupper best and will put her best interests above your own. We will keep you and yours in our thoughts.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Cris_M
I'm second gussing myself about Monday's procedure for Fiona. From everything I see on the internet, all I can hope for from chemo is a remision of maybe six months to a year with a roller coaster ride in between.

Last night Fi had a small epsiode of funny breathing and my house mate said that he has heard it a few times recently. I fear that the lungs are involved. I am considering asking the vet to just do a chest xray. If we see something there I don't think I would advance to the biopsy and staging.

I am so sorry that you are dealing with two very serious health problems. Getting blindsided from two directions is just awful.

With Gabriel (pancytopenia), we had the biopsy done. We knew the basic facts about chemo. Still, somehow the biopsy helped us feel like we had covered all the bases before making a decision. You may not need that. If you don't, don't do the biopsy.

If you talked to 100 people with the same problem, they would all come up with different decisions. Whatever you decide with Fiona is what will be best for everyone involved. Be comfortable in that.

My thoughts are with you as you care for and make decisions for Sammie and Fiona.

Thank you everyone for the good thoughts. I spoke with Fi's vet this afternoon and we agreed that I will keep the appointment for Monday. They will do the chest xray before I leave their office. If we see evidence that the lymphoma has spread they will not proceed any further.

The vet believes that we caught the lymphoma early and it is still localized. She plans to remove the lump and, assuming she is correct that it is localized, we will treat with prednesone. Hopefully we can buy a year or more of quality time without resorting to chemo.

I am comfortable with that

I am so sorry for the diagnosis for both dogs. I hope both can have many more good days.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds