Gunda

Poor Gunda..

The past few months she had some problems with her health :(

In January we had to came back from our holiday. Gunda was feeling so sick.. She was restless and in pain.

We went directly to the vet and he told us she probably had a problem with her heart. He gave her medicines so she would feel better.

And she did feel better. We acted like a puppy again.

But then she had problems with her stomach. Stomach-ache and she didn’t want to eat her food anymore. We went to the vet again who gave her some medicines, and she was slowly feeling better. She started to eat and she started to gain weight again (she supposed to be 53lbs but at the moment it was only 46lbs :( )

After that there were again problems with her heart. That was about one week ago. So we gave her some more medicines.

And yesterday she was sick again. Not her heart or her stomach..

In the morning she was acting a bit restless..

And she had something on her face (don’t know the correct English word for it).

It is on Gunda’s left (if you look at the picture it’s on the right).

gunda4.jpg

After a while it was bigger. This morning it was really big.. Look at her.. :(

ai.jpg

Instead of this, how it must be:

th_sng3.jpg

We went to the vet today (it’s now 6.00 PM) and he said there is an infection by her back tooth.

Normally the vet would have pulled the tooth out, but Gunda is now almost 13 years old.. She probably wouldn’t survive the narcosis.. :(

The vet gave her medicines…

I really hope she is feeling better soon..

I'm sorry for my bad English, and I don't know all the medical words for it, but I've tried to explain the situation...

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.rapiddogwear.com

anne_sas4_qf3zva.jpg

Guest trevdog

Hmmm, over here they would remove the tooth...if it's causing her that much distress, I'm not sure that it would heal that quickly. Is the anthesia they use for greys differnt over there?

Hmmm, over here they would remove the tooth...if it's causing her that much distress, I'm not sure that it would heal that quickly. Is the anthesia they use for greys differnt over there?

Actually I have no idea if the anthesia is different over here.. Normally the vet would remove her tooth, but she is almost 13 years old and it's her hearth that probably can't handle the narcosis..

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.rapiddogwear.com

anne_sas4_qf3zva.jpg

Could it be that the infection (abscess in her mouth) is affecting her heart & her stomach? Maybe it's the cause of the problem, rather than an additional one. Oral infections can go very quickly to the heart & kidneys so I hope the antibiotics take care of it soon. :getwell Gunda!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest BlackandBrindle

Poor Gunda!

She looks so uncomfortable. I hope the meds work quickly and your sweet girl feels much much better soon.

Do you have access to a cardiologist or an internist who has cardiology experience? I have a 9 year old who had not been spayed because of serious heart disease. She started going into prolonged heat cycles every 2 to 3 months, and had a vaginal infection the last time. I had her reevaluated by the cardiologist, who decided that there was more risk from a uterine infection, which would be an emergency that she probably wouldn't survive, than from spaying her under a well controlled anesthesia. The possibility of losing her scared me to death, but we went ahead with the surgery. That was over a month ago, and she's happier and healthier now than she has been for a long time. She's even started joining in play with the younger ones.

I think it might be worth checking out. Dental and gum disease are killers. They affect the heart, kidneys and every other part of the body.

Good luck, whatever you do.

My Pearl has a plethura of health problems. She's 11.5.

She's had a bad heart for over 5 yrs. She ended up with an abscessed tooth (like what you show regarding Gunda). That caused a kidney disease called Glomerulonephitis and that caused hypertension (high blood pressure).

She was high risk surgery because of her hypertension, but the tooth was causing it. We tried to maintain it with monthly bouts of antibiotics but were losing the battle.

So, I broke down and went to a large private hospital and with the cardiologist there, anesthesiologist there and dentist........we took out the bad tooth.

She survive the surgery and is doing great now. But, let me tell you, for 8 hrs I waited......and waited and waited not sure if she was going to wake up.

Do you have a big hospital or university hospital over there that you can get a second opinion?

Thanks for all the replies.

I must say I've never heard of tooth problems that caused kidney or heart diseases.

The first time we figured out Gunda had heart problems was in january 2009. Now (almost 3 months later) she has this problem with her tooth.

Is this period (3 months) not too long to say that her teeth are the cause of the problem?

Second opinion is maybe an option.

Edited by AnneGTS

www.rapiddogwear.com

anne_sas4_qf3zva.jpg

Guest myjazzy

No. The infection can be there without you knowing it and affect other organs. New research is showing that bad teeth can affect all kinds of things.

Guest brandi007

Lincoln at 15 years old had this exact same thing happen. He had an infected tooth, had serious heart issues his whole life and his face swelled up. You kinda have to get the tooth removed - the infection can poison her blood and kill her - we ended up putting Linky under and having a quick dental and extraction done - it was very scary but he came out of it with flying colours and lived until he was 17 years old.

Sending lots of good thoughts for your baby.

Guest PiagetsMom

Poor little girl.......sending good thoughts for Gunda that she'll see improvement with her antibiotics. It never hurts to get another opinion - I know you're worried about her. :grouphug

I am sorry to hear that Gunda is feeling so poorly.....it is true that periodontal disease can cause other serious health problems such as heart, kidney and liver disease due to bacteria from the infected mouth travelling in the bloodstream. I do hope that some strong antibiotics can do the trick for poor Gunda.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Thanks for all the replies.

I must say I've never heard of tooth problems that caused kidney or heart diseases.

The first time we figured out Gunda had heart problems was in january 2009. Now (almost 3 months later) she has this problem with her tooth.

Is this period (3 months) not too long to say that her teeth are the cause of the problem?

Second opinion is maybe an option.

Yes. It could take a while to get that bad. And yes, bad teeth can affect all organs.

Whatever decision you make is the right one. And I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you go to.

Maybe they can pull the tooth using just local anesthesia? They do it in people all the time (yuck)