Glucosamine Article

I thought I saw a link posted to study results that found that glucosamine didn't do anything, but couldn't find anything searching the forum. Am I making this up? If not, does someone have the link? Hoping to get it before we go see our orthopedist tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest greybookends

I don't care what the artichle says it DOES work! I have seen it do so in my hounds and for myself as well when nothing else would!

DITTO! It does work! My Darius was 15 and did not have any arthritis that I could see and I feel much better now that I have been on it. You just have to buy GOOD stuff. Nutraceuticals are not regulated by the FDA.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

I think they can come up with study results to support whatever they want it to.

Between that and the fact that I see it working, and the study I saw the other day that says dogs don't watch tv (ummm, Sally definately does!) I don't have a lot of faith in the studies or articles anymore.

I'm another believer... if I stop taking it, my fingers/hands start hurting again within a week. And it helped Cody too...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest BLIsStillFlying

My boy wouldn't be walking if it wasn't for his glucosamine. Liquid Health = liquid gold. He was getting so bad from an old track injury that he shook violently when he stood and now he runs with his younger brother again (something his pain pills could never make him feel well enough to do).

Guest Drafters

It DOES work! And very well!! Don't know anything about the article you're looking for, sorry. But it does work! Draft came to us with a lame leg. We put him on glucosamine, and now you can't tell there's a thing wrong with him!

DITTO! It does work! My Darius was 15 and did not have any arthritis that I could see and I feel much better now that I have been on it. You just have to buy GOOD stuff. Nutraceuticals are not regulated by the FDA.

Especially when you buy it from Greyhound Gang

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

I haven't seen anything on GT but there are studies out there on humans that are inconclusive at best. (Of course I'm too lazy to search for links but I have read a few on CNN Health and such but again humans).

I was chatting with Dr. Kellogg about the three pack glucosamine/chondroitin/msn and she said all she reads is that it does work on dogs. I haven't read much on it I just trust her so I use it. Not much help am I?

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

I was just talking to the man a the health food store and he said that most of the arthritis meds came from vets. He said vets were using glucosamine 50 years ago.

I am using a supplement from the health food store for Kiaba's limp. He's on it been on it for a few days, so I don't know if it will work, but we are sharing the bottle!

He was on Rimadyl with no results.

Nichole

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

My boy wouldn't be walking if it wasn't for his glucosamine. Liquid Health = liquid gold. He was getting so bad from an old track injury that he shook violently when he stood and now he runs with his younger brother again (something his pain pills could never make him feel well enough to do).

Is liquid health a product? Where do you get it. My girl's back legs shake when she has been running around in the back yard. I have been using the glucosamine from Claudia at the Greyhound Gany for about 4 months. Thanks.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Is liquid health a product? Where do you get it. My girl's back legs shake when she has been running around in the back yard. I have been using the glucosamine from Claudia at the Greyhound Gany for about 4 months. Thanks.

http://www.liquidhealthinc.com/

We have several customers that use their Fido Nutrients, but I do have their glucosamine formulas too.

If you are interested, you can email me and I'll get you prices. :)

sue@efcpetstuff.com

Single studies may be interesting, but they rarely "count" as evidence. Normally one waits until a bunch of studies come through, and then someone does a study on THOSE studies (a meta-study) to see what a bunch of smart people have to say about it. The reviews on glucosamine are generally positive.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

It does work, I posted a similar response in joint supplements that were recommended here saying this.

I just put my boy on the product Springtime which has it. One week on this and I can see a HUGE difference in Cody.

He's doing 100% better, more playing like he did when I first got him, jumps into the car are a graceful leap instead of 1 paw and a more labored attempt and just over all he moves easy.

I so excited to see what being on this for a month will do for him.

As with anything in the entire world, it works for some and for some it does nothing.

I had my dogs on the level 5000 (liquid health) and for a time, several years, it did seem to help them all.

Eventually it didn't seem to do much for my oldest dogs, so I tried rimadyl and the difference was amazing. So the younger dogs get the liquid health and when it is no longer helping them, they go to rimadyl. My 14 year old would be gone without her rimadyl, no question in my mind at all. But I think that the liquid health did let her get to the old age of 13 before we had to do something stronger or different.

I have tried Springtimes stuff for humans with not one iota of effect on my sore joints. I tried a different brand of glucosamine/chondroitin/msm and nothing at all except my money dissapearing. I take advil and get relief, it works and I'm not going to argue with it. :)

As with anything, try it, it might be just what the doctor ordered or it may do nothing at all for you or your pet.

Guest BoogieDown

I don't remember seeing a GT post about it. But I'll add a testimonial on behalf of my (non-grey) dog, who was on it for 12 years. I researched it thoroughly at the time, and decided that it wasn't going to hurt, and may help. I think it contributed greatly to her quality of life. I do remember, at the time, reading that the quality differs greatly, and to stick with a better known brand rather than go generic. I can't remember now the brand.

I've never heard of the place they got the supplements from. They may have not been the greatest - that's quite common when the allopathics study the non-allopathic stuff. There was a study on vitamin A and Beta-carotene years ago by the WHO that came to the conclusion that adding B-C to the diet of smokers actually increased their chances of lung cancer. In actuality, the study was giving a Jamison's multivitamin with synthetic vitamin E in it, this was the source of the B-C. In my view, I'd throw that study out - Jamison's is not well regarded, and there have been a multitude of problems associated with synthetic vitamins. But still, this study is quoted all the time.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

We have several customers that use their Fido Nutrients, but I do have their glucosamine formulas too.

sue@efcpetstuff.com

Thank you. I will be sending you an email once I log off of GreyTalk.

sue@efcpetstuff.com

I sent you an email and I just checked out the liquid health website. Is it the level 5000 that you give your grey? Thanks.

As long as you are using the real stuff, 100% pure like greyhound gang sells, there should be some improvement after several weeks of using.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FullMetalFrank

My Dad's orthopedic surgeon told him several years ago that there are no conclusive studies as to whether it works or not; but if he sees results, then to keep it up because it does no harm. I have tried it for myself; and personally it does little for me; but for my Dad it does work, and I also see great results with Frank. Frank is 9 and used to have some difficulty getting up after exercise; now he hops right up just fine after several months of glucosamine. I would not keep buying it and giving it to him if nothing was improving. I think it needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis as to whether it works or not...