Six Bottom Incisors Pulled, Poor Phoenix

Poor Phene had a dental this morning resulting in his six bottom incisors being pulled. He still has his canines. The vet supplied me with Tramadol (40mg 2x daily) and Metacam (30kg 1x daily). Tonight he's allowed to eat 1/2 of his usual meal with liquid added and his food has to be softened for the next 7-10 days.

Is there anything else I can do to make him comfortable? Will he need to be given soft treats in the future? Will he drool for the rest of his life? Is there anything else I should consider or do for him?

thanks

robin

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Poor Phoenix...no advice, just tell him I'm thinking of him.

I imagine after he recovers he could have most treats....I prescribe lots of roasted chicken for his recovery period. :)

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest KyGrey

I have had molars pulled myself and I can now eat crunchy things but only after the gum heals completely. I would give soft treats for a while. I can't say for sure how long though.

Poor Phoenix. Give him a gentle hug and a kiss from me.

Guest Greensleeves

Tessie had an incisor pulled yesterday, and they told me that dogs actually don't use them for much, mostly for personal grooming! It wasn't surprising that Tess broke one, since she bites her nails. :rolleyes

Fortunately, dog incisors are tiny little things, so he should heal up really fast.

Tess just had her dental last Friday and lost 9 incissors, top and bottom. She still has a couple left and her had rimadyl the night she came home and hasn't needed any since. She had chicken,barley,rice soup the first night home, not a lot, and the next day a couple of soft treats along with the chicken mix then I notice she was eating some of Polo left kibbles. So ended the special feed. She also has a gum infection so anitboitics for a week. Everything is back to normal and she is a drama queen. She just seems to take everything in stride and nothing bothers her. I call her my bullet proof bossy drama queen that rules the house , next to the cat that is.

Hope Phoenix does as well.

Ruth in Idaho

Awe poor baby! Darla had 7 teeth pulled at her last dental, she only drooled that evening and a little the next day, my advice would be to give the pain meds as prescribed and feed soft food (I got her canned) for a week, or soften kibble with water. After 10 days I went back to dry kibble, and she was eating it fine for a few months, then went back to eating very slowly, so I suspect more bad teeth and starting pouring water on again. One or two more dentals and my girl probably won't have teeth left, getting old sucks...

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Polli had at her first dental 17 teeth removed and other than the antibiotic and pain meds for a few days, she ate normally. You'll be surprised, they don't need teeth!

YOu should have seen Polli munching away on bullysticks. :blush So sweet.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytkidsmom

When Kebo lost all but 2 incisors at once he was drooly for 2 days and then back to normal. He was supposed to be on soft food for 2 weeks but rather than get the canned stuff, I went and got some "small bites" food (what the tiny breeds eat) and got it really soupy with water. He could just lap it up with his tongue.

After a week or two, we noticed that he was finishing his regular kibble so much faster than he did before. Before the teeth were pulled, he kind of "picked" at his food and often didn't finish. I think those teeth were really hurting. We haven't changed anything with his diet since. He eats regular treats including greenies. He even chews on a nylabone from time to time.

I imagine Phoenix will be back to himself soon. Just keep a towel handy to throw under his head to catch the drool :)

Poor guy!!

Misty lost 4 a few weeks ago, but 3 were molars. My vet always tells me soft everything for 10-12 days. Anytime mine are put under anesthesia, I always have a very warm place for them to lay because their body temps are lowered.

Droolong should stop after a day or at the most 2. If you see blood, it's normal and as long as it's clotting, it's not unusual.

Hope he feels better, I'm sure he will after a day or two

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Paul had 27 teeth pulled about 10 days ago. He is eating kibble mixed with canned food and hasn't missed a meal since he's been home. He has not had a hard biscuit, but I am sure that he will eventually. I am surprised that the vet did not give you any antibiotics, though.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest ArtysPeople

I've never been through this with a dog, but one of my cats had to have almost that many incisors pulled last year. She healed up amazingly quickly and I was so surprised, but she felt so much better once she healed up. I mean in relation to how she was before the surgery. I hadn't realized her teeth were causing her pain, but they must have been, because she perked up so much once she healed. She's back to eating the same solid food and treats before. I just dosed her per the vet's advice immediately after the surgery, and she did fine. Good luck, and here's hoping Phoenix feels as good as Alegra did after her surgery. :goodluck

Phene!! Baby!! Oh poor boy...I know he was feeling kind of punk yesterday, but he should be a bit better today. He'll likely need his food softened for a week or so, until things are healed up a bit. After that though, he should be able to eat pretty much anything. Max is down to 13 teeth and is still able to eat hard, albeit crumbly, treats. One benefit, bully stix last forever with him now! :P His biggest issues are with drinking water (it runs out the sides, poor boy - you might want to put down a towel!) and ETS! His little tongue is always hanging out the side, especially after he shakes his head :wub: But really, otherwise, Phener should be okay. And he'll feel better having those teeth removed!

:kiss2 for Phene, to feel better soon...

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest SusanP

My Dr. Doug had most of those same teeth out, and the pain meds from the vet did just fine for him. He doesn't drool, but sometimes when he's sleeping his little pink tongue sticks out a bit!

Guest WarmheartedPups

Oh Poor Boy.....Roo just lost three more teeth......soft food for 10 days.

I would melt ice cubes to be very tiny and thin.....she would roll those around in her mouth....I think the coolness felt good.

She was back to her olympic form in about four days.......

Hugs!

Kingsley lost 14 teeth earlier this year. We still allow his food to soak a bit before he eats, but he can master a crunchy treat as well as a soft one (and he only has 2 teeth directly above-and-below each other any more!

Phoenix will stop drooling, Kingsley just drooled that first evening.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Bailey has 4 canines and a few odd front teeth and one tiny molar left and she can eat almost anything no matter how hard it is...her gums must be like concrete by now. It's amazing how quickly they heal. I would just continue to soften his food until he fully heals. He'll never miss those few front teeth and will be able to hard treats before you know it.

If he's laying down you might want to put a small towel under his mouth. Some blood may get mixed with saliva and you may find small stains for a few days.

Give phene a big kiss and lots of scritches.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Ouch! Poor Phene. I'd get some Traumeel for him Robin. I always have it in the house, it is a homeopathic combination of herbs. You use it for bruising and trauma following an injury or surgery. You can get it at health food stores and at Loblaws if they have an organic section where they have suppliments.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest realboo

Karma had all of his teeth out last year at once! It was amazing how quickly he recovered. Every day showed a remarkable positive change in the swelling and drooling.

You might want to consider some yummy soft kitty treats - they are already bite size and won't hurt the gummies. Just give lots of love and he'll be good as new shortly.

I am amazed how well Karma eats - just put water on his kibble and he hoovers it right down.

You will undoubtedy see a much happier boy in a week or so having those nasty teeth gone.